Transfer Guide

If you did not meet freshman admissions criteria, you must do the following to be a competitive applicant:

1. Attend an accredited college or university and take transferable coursework in English, math and science.

The following Virginia Community College or Richard Bland College courses, or their equivalents, are required: (NOTE: You must earn at least a C in any course for it to be transferrable.)

Freshman English

  • VCCS: ENG 111
  • RBC: ENGL 101

College Algebra, Pre-Calculus, Statistics, or Functions and Graphs

  • VCCS: MTH 142, 146, 157, 158, 163, 170, 173, 174, 240 or 241
    (MTH 151 and MTH 152 are appropriate for BA seekers except in the following programs: Computer Science, Liberal Studies, Math and Physics.)
  • RBC: MATH 101, 110, 201 or 217

General Biology, Chemistry or Physics

  • VCCS: BIO 101, CHM 101, PHY 100, 101, 102, 111, 121, 201, 231 or 241
    (Science class must include a lab for a total of 4 credits).
  • RBC: BIOL 101, CHEM 101 or PHYS 101

2. Complete at least 24 transferable hours (one year).

3. Take developmental courses (non-transferable) if applicable per your placement test scores at the college you attend.

If you place in to developmental courses, you may need to remain at that college for more than one year before transferring to Longwood. Therefore, we strongly recommend that you take placement tests as early as possible so that you can take developmental courses in the summer to be ready for transferable work in the fall.

4. Have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5.

Remember: If you earn the Associate of Arts and/or Science degree from one of Maryland or Virginia community colleges or Richard Bland College and you are admitted to Longwood, all of your credits transfer (including D grades), you enter with junior status and all of your Lower Division General Education Goals are waived. You are encouraged to consult the VCCS & RBC Transfer Guide to ensure that you take classes that can be applied to your degree.

Students interested in Liberal Studies/Elementary Education, Middle Education or Special Education should be aware that these programs do not have any room for electives. Interested students should take the required courses listed above and select their remaining credits from the advising sheets.

Please note:  A transfer student is defined as a student entering the institution for the first time, but known to have previously attended a post-secondary institution the fall semester after high school graduation and beyond.