Announcement Regarding Athletic Training Program
In May 2015, the Athletic Training Strategic Alliance announced that the Standards for Accreditation of Professional Athletic Training Programs designated by CAATE (Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education) would be changed to require that professional programs be at the master’s degree level.
For students entering Longwood University in fall 2019 or after, Longwood offers a pathway to a career and/or Master’s of Science in Athletic Training. (Students will no longer be admitted to the pre-professional phase of the Bachelor of Science in Athletic Training program.)
For students who entered Longwood in fall 2018, please note that the last admission cycle to the professional phase of the Bachelor of Science in Athletic Training degree program will occur in spring 2019. No students will be admitted to the professional phase of the Bachelor of Science in Athletic Training program after spring 2019.
For more information, please contact Dr. Lindsey Stokes firstname.lastname@example.org.
Become a Board Certified Athletic Trainer and join the ranks of Longwood alumni who specialize in the prevention, assessment, treatment, rehabilitation of injuries to athletes and anyone engaged in everyday physical activities. Accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE) our program will prepare you for a pre-professional course in physical therapy and sports medicine.
Longwood graduates have gone on to work in a variety of employment settings and graduate study in athletic training, physical therapy and physician assistant studies.
Athletic trainers are unique health care providers employed in a multitude of settings to include:
- Secondary schools (public and private)
- Colleges and universities
- Professional and Olympic sports
- Youth leagues and sports facilities
- Physician practice
- Rural and urban hospitals, emergency departments, and ambulatory care centers
- Clinics with specialties in sports medicine, cardiac rehab, medical fitness, wellness, and physical therapy
- Occupational health departments (i.e., commercial and industrial settings)
- Police and fire departments, academies, and branches of the military
- Performing arts