Text Size Print
The CBE is extremely proud of the recent accomplishments of its faculty and students:
- Dr. Frank Bacon and Jessica Woodard's paper, "Government Shutdown: A test of Market Efficiency" won a Best Paper award and has been accepted for presentation at the 2015 American Society for Business and Behavior Science in Las Vegas in January.
- Dr. Claire LaRoche, Dr. Bennie D. Waller, and Dr. Scott Wentland received a best paper award from the American Real Estate Society (ARES) in the Innovative Thinking "Thinking Out of the Box" category for their paper, "Not in My Backyard: The Effect of Substance Abuse Treatment Centers on Property Values," which was presented at the April 2014 ARES 30th Annual Meeting.
- Dr. Xun Bian, Dr. Chau Yue Tian (UNC-Chapel Hill), and Dr. Bennie D. Waller’s paper, "Termination of Listing Contracts: A Competing Risk Survival Analysis," which was presented at the April 2014 30th Annual Meeting, was awarded a best paper prize by the American Real Estate Society (ARES) in the category, Real Estate Brokerage/Agency.
- Dr. Cheryl Adkins' paper titled "The challenges of business ownership: A comparison of minority and non-minority women business owners" was accepted in the Journal of Applied Management and Entrepreneurship.
- Dr. Frank Bacon's paper titled "Employee organizational cynicism antecedents and outcomes: A meta-analysis" is being presented at the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology. It was also accepted at the Journal of Vocational Behavior.
- Dr. Ray Brastow with students from econometrics, James Emily, Bingcao Ge, and Aaron Taylor attended the Virginia Association of Economists at the Federal Reserve Bank in Richmond to present their conference papers.
- Dr. Frank Bacon with students, Robert Blackburn, Brooke Bunch, and Caitlin Hagarty from his finance class presented their research at the Allied Academies Conference in New Orleans in March 2013.
- Dr. George Banks' article "Meta-analytic reviews in the organizational sciences: Two meta-analytic schools on the way to MARS" was accepted for publication in the Journal of Business and Psychology.
- Dr. Bennie Waller with Phillip Kolbe and Gaylon Greer, co-authored a text, Real Estate Finance, 3rd Edition. Its expected pubication is 2013.
- Dr. Ayse Balas' article "Underlying dimensions of perceived performance improvement as a result of attending managerial sales training programs in malaysia: An emerging market perspective" was accepted for publication in the International Journal of Sales, Retailing, and Marketing.
- Dr. Randy Boyle's text, Applied Networking Labs: A Hands-on Guide to Networking and Server Management (2012), has been translated to Chinese. Another of his books, Corporate Computer Security, is in the process of being translated to Korean.
- Dr. Frank Bacon and Stephanie Roddenberry (BSBA student) for their paper titled "Insider trading and market efficiency: Do insiders buy low & sell high?" published in the Journal of Finance and Accountancy.
- Dr. Ayse Balas' paper titled "Marketing orientation's impact on entrepreneurship of export ventures" which will appear in the International Journal of Entrepreneurship.
- Dr. Linda Lau with students, Brandon Caracciolo, Stephanie Roddenberry, and Abbie Scroggins authored a paper, "College students' perceptions of ethics," published in the Journal of Academic and Business Ethics.
- Dr. Bennie Waller and Dr. Scott Wentland received a best paper award from the National Association of Realtors in the category of Real Estate Brokerage/Agency for their paper, "The role of transactions costs in impeding market exchange in real estate."
- Dr. Charles White's research "A development and validation of measure of leadership rapport management: The LRM scale" which will be published in the Journal of Behavioral and Applied Management. In addition, Dr. White has been named a 2011 Outstanding Reviewer by the Organizational Behavior Division of the Academy of Management.
- Faculty Research (pdf)
- Dr. Randy Boyle, associate professor of information systems and security, discusses his research into detecting deception on NPR’s "With Good Reason."
- Dr. Scott Wentland, assistant professor of economics, was quoted in the Richmond-Times Dispatch article, "Not hiring: Older, educated job seekers."
- Dr. David Lehr is quoted in the August 28, 2014 Washington Post article on Virginia SOL testing results. His research shows that socioeconomic background is the biggest predictor of academic achievement.
- Dr. Bennie Waller and Dr. Scott Wentland, professors of real estate and economics, discuss unusual location factors that may affect your property value with Karen Simpson-Hankins on her internet radio show, Surviving the Credit Crisis.
- Dr. Bennie Waller, professor of finance and real estate, responds to questions at HSH.com on how student-loan debt is holding back first-time buyers.
- Dr. Bennie Waller is featured in the April 10, 2014 Wall St. Journal Article, What's a Word Worth?Research by Dr. Waller found that when real estate agents promote property characteristics and use positive words in home listings sales increase.
- Dr. George Banks' research exploring questionable practices academics take to get research published was reported in the Feb. 18, 2014 Wall St. Journal article, Management Research is Fishy, Says New Management Research.
- Dr. Bennie Waller and Dr. Ray Brastow are featured in the January 23, 2014 Wall St. Journal article, How a Dual Agent Affects Sales Prices. The article reported the findings of Waller and Brastow’s research on dual agency and featured quotes from both professors.