Internships and State Authorization
Changing legislation regarding what constitutes "physical presence" of a Virginia university in other states has resulted in varying rules on student internships, clinical placements, practica, and student teaching in off-site locations. There are some states in which Longwood is not allowed to place students because we lack state authorization.
As of spring 2016, students may not complete an internship, clinical placement, practicum or student teaching for Longwood credit in the following states:
- District of Columbia
- New York (OK for internships, but not approved for clinical placements in programs leading to professional licensure)
- North Carolina
Some of these states are in the process of passing state legislation to join SARA. This list will be updated as states join SARA or Longwood secures authorization.
For more information about SARA, see nc-sara.org.
For questions about internships and state authorization, contact Virginia Kinman, Assistant Vice President for Accreditation and Compliance, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Programs Leading to Professional Licensure
Longwood University degree programs that potentially lead to professional licensure are designed to prepare students to meet the requirements for professional licensure in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Any prospective or current student wishing to pursue professional licensure in a state other than Virginia should contact the Office of Accreditation and Compliance in writing at email@example.com. to receive current contact information for the other state’s applicable licensing board and work with the faculty advisor or program coordinator to determine whether the other state’s requirements can be met through the Longwood degree program.
- CareerConnect - On-Campus, Off-Campus, Full-Time, Part-Time Job & Internship Listings. Also, see which recruiters are hosting information sessions or interviewing on campus.
- Summer Housing Resources
- Learn from current students how they found their internships
- Fairs - Meet and talk with employers who may be seeking interns.
- Global Internships
- Intern Queen
- Therapeutic Recreation Internships
- Internships by Field/Industry - Listing of employers with links to their web site by industry to use in searching for internship opportunities.
- QuintCareers Internship Sites
- Employer listings through Chambers of Commerce and Newspapers
- Network with Alumni
- Chicago Urban Life Center Urban Life Center will place you in one of our internships based on your interests, major and information in your application.
- College Grad.com Provides internship postings; salary calculator; relocation information; resume, cover letter, interviewing, and job search advice, employer information, etc...
- INROADS Seeks high performing African American, Hispanic, and Native American students for internship opportunities.
- International Internship Program For VA College Students An international internship program designed for students studying in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Internships4You Free internship database. Search by category and state.
- Monster.com Search for internships by field and state, and post your resume for employers to search.
- The Black Collegian First web site dedicated to providing rich content and resources to Black collegians and all people of color seeking career and self-development information.
- USAJobs Find jobs and internships with the Federal Government.
- US Office of Personnel Management Federal Government jobs, internships, and summer jobs.
- WISH Internships Internships in DC
The University Career Center at Longwood University maintains this website as a service to Longwood students and alumni. Job announcements on this website as well as recruiters that visit campus do not indicate an endorsement or recommendation from the Longwood University Career Center. Students are responsible for all necessary precautions when interviewing for, or accepting these positions, as well as checking the credentials and integrity of any employer. As a convenience, this Web site contains links to other Web sites not under the control of the Longwood University Career Center, and we are not responsible for their contents.