The PHETE program at Longwood University prepares teacher candidates to meet State licensure requirements to teach both health and physical education from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade. Teacher candidates can also elect to become certified to teach Driver Education. The program is a competency-based, fieldwork intensive curriculum that ensures students obtain hands-on teaching experiences throughout their academic career. As a result, graduates tend to enter the workforce confident in their ability to deal with the many challenges faced by public school teachers in today's world. Longwood University PHETE Majors regularly work with the American Heart Association to correlate their Educational Kits with the Virginia Standards of Learning.
Career Fields associated with Kinesiology Majors:
- College Health Educator
- School Health Educator
- Health Information Specialist
- Health Administrator
- Education Coordinator
- Public Health Statistician
- Health Consultant
- Fitness Program Coordinator
- Substance Abuse Counselor
- Public Health Educator
- Health Advocate
- Wellness Coordinator
- Get current information including job descriptions, job outlook, and salary information using the following.
- Explore Physical and Health Education.
For more information on any of these career options, please visit the Occupational Outlook Handbook.
- Assesses health problems & concerns of communities
- Educates individuals & groups about health concerns
- Plans, implements & evaluates wellness programs & workshops
- Understands causes & prevention of diseases
- Focuses on stress reduction through awareness, measurement & relaxation
- Motivates people & possesses sensitivity to their needs
Prepares creative & resourceful activities
Personal Attributes Associated with Physical and Health Education Majors:
- Value people
- Good communication
- Good time management
- Able to overcome stress
Interest in constant learning