University Career Services hosts an All Majors Job & Internship Fair twice a year, once in the fall and again in the spring and a Graduate School Fair in the fall.
Attending our fairs is a great way to enhance your brand and build a relationship with our students.
To register for upcoming career fairs:
- Login to our online recruiting platform, Handshake.
- Navigate to the ‘Fairs’ tab on the left and search ‘Longwood University Career Fair.’
- Consult the Handshake Help Center’s Registering for a Fair instructions for further information.
- Our office will review your registration request and send confirmation and an invoice within 24 hours.
Job Posting Portal
Create an Account
The first step in recruiting at Longwood University is to register in Handshake, our free online job and internship database. To register, please go to Handshake and click on "create an account."
After your registration is complete, your organization will be approved by a staff member and a confirmation email will be sent via the Handshake portal.
Once your account is approved, you may create a job posting by following the steps below: Log in to Handshake and click on "Jobs", select "Add New", complete, and submit the request; your position will be approved by a staff member within one to three business days.
You are eligible to post a position and recruit at Longwood University if you are recruiting for a legitimate full-time, part-time, internship, fellowship or research opportunity.
Employers may NOT:
- Ask for fees to pay for training, applications, or other job-related expenses (excluding federal and state licensing requirements such as real estate, securities, etc.).
- Ask a student intern to pay any fee except for housing or tuition.
- Post positions that are solely commission-based, for personal services (ie: nanny, babysitter, in-home caregiver), or positions that are short-term project-based.
Third-party agencies MUST:
- Disclose their relationship with their client.
- Make clear that the client is paying for any fees assessed by the third-party agency.
- Ensure that their client does not pass along a student's resume to another party without the student's consent.
Career Services provides employers the opportunity to come to campus to interview candidates selected through the Handshake system. At Longwood University, we use a “pre-select” system in which you choose candidates to interview from among those students who apply to your job postings through Handshake. You may interview for multiple positions on the same day. (Due to Covid-19 we are asking that all interviews be conducted virtually until further notice)
- Fall interview schedules start at the end of September and reservations begin in June.
- Spring interview schedules start in late February and reservations begin in December.
- For best results, we should receive your Interview request through Handshake at least four weeks prior to your planned interview date.
- For any questions or troubleshooting needs please contact, Career Services at firstname.lastname@example.org
Steps to schedule your on-campus interviews:
- First-time Handshake users: In order to gain access to Handshake and request an on-campus interview date, you must create an account.
- After your registration is complete, your organization will be approved by a staff member and a confirmation email will be sent via the Handshake portal
Already registered users:
- To schedule your on-campus interview date, log in to Handshake and under "Shortcuts" select "Create New Schedule Request."
- You will determine the number and length of interview schedules when completing the on-campus interview requests. Interviews typically begin at 9:00 am and can go until 4:30 pm; all interviews must be completed by 4:45 pm. Employers have the option to decide whether interview lengths will be 30 minutes, 45 minutes, 60 minutes, or 90 minutes, however, all interview slots must be the same timeframe.
- Generally two weeks before your interview dates, we will set a deadline for students to apply. Application deadlines for students are always on a Wednesday, and then the employer has from Thursday-Sunday to view applicants and update their interview status. Employers will receive an automated email from the system prompting you through the selection process. Please make sure our email messages are not sent to your junk mail folder. Employers will update the interview status of each applicant as: Invited, Alternate, Not Invited. Students who accept your invitation will set up a time on your scheduled interview date by selecting an available interview timeslot on Handshake.
- During the time students are submitting resumes, you be able to view the submissions and begin narrowing down applicants. This prescreening of applicant resumes will be available before the official employer selection time period begins, however, you must still wait until the preselected time period begins before making official interview selections.
Interview Day Logistics
- All interviews are conducted in the University Career Services office Maugans G05. Please plan to arrive at least 15 minutes before your first interview. Our office hours are 8:15 am – 5:00 pm.
- Parking is available and we will send you detailed instructions.
- Upon arrival, you will receive a packet of information that includes your schedule for the day, copies of the student resumes, and our wireless internet access code.
- A copy of the interview schedule will be posted at the front of our office where students can sign in. Students will check in and be seated in a waiting area near the interview rooms.
- NOTE: If Longwood University has a delayed opening or is closed due to inclement weather on the day of your on-campus interview, the announcement will be made on the University switchboard at 434-395-2000, as well as the University’s home page. We encourage you to use these resources to gain updates related to inclement weather.
- Delayed Openings Should the University delay class start time, on-campus interviews will delay accordingly, e.g. If classes are delayed until 10:00 am, interviews scheduled prior to 10:00 am will be canceled and the normal schedule will resume at 10:00 am.
- Closings If the University should close, all scheduled on-campus interviews will be canceled, and we will work with you to reschedule your visit and make appropriate accommodations.
Career Fair General Information
For a map of campus and driving directions, visit here.
Parking for all career fairs is reserved in the Virginia St./Putney Lot Parking Lot. – Please note this lot is slightly off campus
Directions to the lot – Click here for Parking Map - #27 on Map
From Main St. in Farmville, turn right at the light before McDonald's restaurant on to Putney Street go two blocks and turn left onto S Virginia St. Once on S. Virginia St. take your first left into the lot.
Shuttles are provided on career fair days. Staff members from our office will be waiting in a Minivan labeled “Fair Shuttle” in the Virginia St/Putney Lot to take you and your materials to the fair event location.
If the university is closed, or the opening of the university is delayed until 11:00 am or later, the fair will be rescheduled if possible. If the university opens by 10:00 am, the fair will run as scheduled. In the event that the university closes during the day, the event will be immediately canceled.
We are happy to connect your organization with the appropriate faculty or staff to discuss potential presentations within academic courses. Please contact our office for further questions or concerns at 434-395-2063.