general information
business & economics

liberal arts & sciences

Academic Regulations

This section summarizes important information related to the academic work of the College. Students must be familiar with the information in this section. It is the responsibility of each student to be certain that academic requirements necessary for graduation are completely fulfilled. The catalog for the year in which a student enters Longwood College governs academic regulations, general education, and graduation requirements. Transfer students may choose the catalog which applies to continuous full-time students at their class level. If a student re-enrolls in Longwood College after an absence of two or more semesters, the applicable catalog will be the one in effect at the time of re-enrollment.  

Students may elect to graduate under the provisions of any subsequent catalog. In all cases, students must have been duly admitted to Longwood College and an academic program of study and meet all of the requirements for graduation in one catalog. Students may not select partial requirements from more than one catalog. Students will be assumed to be under the catalog in effect at the time of admittance unless they notify the registration office, in writing, that they wish to adopt a subsequent catalog. Once a student has selected a subsequent catalog, they may not revert to an earlier catalog.

Catalogs are in effect for a six-year period. Students who do not complete the degree in six years may elect any subsequent catalog. If they fail to elect a particular catalog, they automatically become subject to the catalog in effect in their seventh year. 

Deans and Department Chairs may waive or substitute major course requirements where appropriate. Under extenuating circumstances, exceptions to academic policies may be presented to the Faculty Petitions Committee. Students must contact the Office of Registration for information and deadlines for submitting an appeal.  


The purpose of assessment at Longwood College is (a) to help individual students develop to their fullest potential and (b) to improve the educational programs of the College. In the case of both the student and the College, we intend to assess how effectively consensually-developed goals are being achieved, and based on these assessment data, we intend to generate recommendations and plans of action that will help achieve these goals.
     In 1986 the Virginia Senate adopted Joint Resolution 83 directing state institutions of higher education to "establish assessment programs to measure student achievement." Additionally, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools requires for accreditation that an institution "must define its expected educational results and describe how the achievement of these results will be ascertained." (Criteria for Accreditation: Commission on Colleges, Section III: Institutional Effectiveness, 1989.) 
Student participation is therefore required. Students who fail to participate may lose their priority ranking for registration and housing. The College may withhold transcripts for three months for graduating seniors who fail to participate.  

Academic Organization  

For administrative purposes, Longwood College is divided into three schools, each headed by a dean. Any academic rule or regulation making reference to a dean or specifying with the Dean's permission is referring to the dean of the school in which the student's major program of studies is associated. 
The following are links to the College's programs: School of Business and Economics , School of Education and Human Services , School of Liberal Arts and Sciences . Students who have not declared a major are in the School of Liberal Arts and Sciences.  

Academic Advising  

     Longwood's advising program provides informed academic counseling which makes effective use of the assessment, career planning, student development, and software resources available. Although course selection is important, advisors are trained and prepared to counsel or refer advisees on such matters as the following:  

* assisting students in understanding their abilities, interests, and limitations; 
* helping students clarify their values, developing an educational program consistent with these values, and relating their educational plans to their career plans; 
* referring students to academic and student affairs support services; 
* providing information about college and departmental policies, procedures, and resources; 
* reviewing opportunities for academic involvement, internships, research with faculty, honorary societies, etc.;  
* and, assisting students in evaluating their progress toward their educational goals.  

     Newly-admitted students who have declared their intention to pursue a degree in a particular discipline are assigned advisors in the appropriate school. The assignment of the advisor generally is not changed unless the student changes his/her degree program. Students who have not declared a major are advised by a special group of advisors who participate in the Longwood Seminar program. 
Prior to registration, students are required to consult with their assigned academic advisor regarding course selection, career goals, and relevant academic policies. Advisor signatures are required on all registration forms. Note: Students who do not consult with their advisor prior to registering for class may be prohibited from using telephone registration. 

Although the academic advisor assists students with curriculum decisions and options, the student bears full responsibility for meeting graduation requirements.

Declaration of Major  

Students may declare a major upon entering Longwood. Undeclared students who have completed at least 45 credit hours must declare a major prior to registration. To change a major, a student must complete a Change of Major form available in the Office of Registration.  

English Proficiency  

Any student identified by a faculty member as lacking proficiency in English composition may be referred to the English Proficiency Committee for testing. If the test reflects an inability to write correctly and effectively according to the standards established by the faculty of the college, the student will be placed on communication condition. Students placed on communication condition must undertake the developmental work stipulated by the English Proficiency Committee (usually English 003) by the semester after they are placed on condition and continue it until they pass the English Proficiency examination. Students may not participate in an internship, student teaching, or graduate until they have demonstrated proficiency by passing this examination.   

Course Numbers   

The courses listed in this catalog that are numbered between 100 and 199 are designed primarily for first and second year students; those between 200 and 299 are for first, second, and third year students; those between 300 and 399 are for second, third, and fourth year students; and those between 400 and 499 are for third and fourth year students. Courses numbered from 500 to 599 are for graduates and advanced undergraduates; courses numbered 600 to 699 are for graduates only. 
Course numbers between 000 and 099 indicate foundation-level courses. These courses may be required of some students to master deficiencies in certain fundamental skill areas prior to enrolling in courses requiring those skills. Foundation level courses do not carry credit toward an undergraduate degree. 
Other courses offered Internships (1-18 credits) – 292, 392, 492; Directed or Independent Study (1-18 credits) – 390, 391, 490; Seminar – 461; Honors Research – 498, 499; Special Topics (1-6 credits) – 295, 495, 595; Study Abroad (1-18) – 311, 312. 
Selected undergraduate Honors courses carry the designation Section 50 in the Master Schedule of Classes. (See the Honors Program for the eligibility requirements for these courses.)   

Student Load   

The College is organized on the semester plan whereby the credit hour, abbreviated as credit, is the semester hour. Freshmen normally carry 15 to 17 credits, but may carry 18 credits if they earned at least 2.0 on their previous semester's work. Upperclass students normally carry 15 to 18 credits, but may carry up to 21 if they earned at least 2.0 on their previous semester's work. Students on probation or readmitted after suspension may not enroll in more than 15 credits per semester. A schedule beyond these limits requires special permission from the student's dean or department chair. Students must take at least 12 credits to maintain full-time status.   

Registration Procedures 

Undergraduate students are expected to register in person with their advisor, in person in the Office of Registration or by telephone during one of the opportunities provided during the academic year: 

1.   Registration: normally a two week period in November for the following spring semester or in March/April for the following fall semester and limited to currently-enrolled, degree-seeking students. 
2.  Summer Registration:  normally begins in February with students required to register by Registration Deadline for the session in which the course is listed to avoid a late registration fee. 
3.  Summer Preview: special registration procedures are provided for new freshmen and  new transfer students during summer orientation. New students who cannot attend one of these programs register on final registration day. 
4.  Final Registration: the day immediately preceding the first day of classes each semester. (The degree-seeking student eligible for “Registration” who does not register prior to this final date incurs a late registration fee.) 

Drop/Add Period

Students may make schedule adjustments (adds and/or drops) until the close of business on the sixth day of classes. A consultation with the advisor is encouraged for any change made during this period. Courses dropped during this period do not appear on the transcript.  

No Academic Penalty Withdrawal Period (Free “W”)  

Students may withdraw from individual classes with a grade of "W" (not computed in the GPA) through noon on the 35th day of regularly scheduled classes. Residential students who fall below full-time status with such a withdrawal will be referred to the Vice President for Student Affairs for special permission to remain in the residence hall.   


Appropriate dates for the last day to drop/add, and last day to withdraw without academic penalty are included in the official college calendar and in the Master Schedule of Classes for regular semesters. 
Appropriate dates for last day to drop/add, and last day to withdraw without academic penalty are included in the summer school class schedule and in the appropriate descriptive literature for other classes not meeting on a regular semester pattern. 
All registration and drop/add transactions must have the approval of the academic advisor and must be processed through appropriate procedures by the deadline to become effective.   

Class Attendance   

Students are expected to attend all classes. Failure to attend class regularly impairs academic performance. Absences are disruptive to the educational process for others. This is especially true when absences cause interruptions for clarification of material previously covered, failure to assume assigned responsibilities for class presentations, or failure to adjust to changes in assigned material or due dates. 
It is the responsibility of each instructor to give students a copy of his or her attendance policy in the course syllabus. 
Instructors may assign a grade of “0” or “F” on work missed because of unexcused absences. 
Instructors have the right to lower a student's course grade, but no more than one letter grade, if the student misses 10 percent of the scheduled class meeting times for unexcused absences. 
Instructors have the right to assign a course grade of “F” when the student has missed a total (excused and unexcused) of 25 percent of the scheduled class meeting times. 
Students must assume full responsibility for any loss incurred because of absence, whether excused or unexcused. Instructors should permit students to make up work when the absence is excused. Excused absences are those resulting from the student's participation in a college-sponsored activity, from recognizable emergencies, or from serious illness. Faculty may require documentation for excused absences in their attendance policy. Student Health Services can provide documentation only for students hospitalized locally or absent at the direction of Student Health Services personnel.  


Written comprehensive examinations are given at the end of each course. For the regular session, two and a half hour examination blocks are scheduled during the final examination period which is indicated as part of the official college calendar. This scheduling is based on the course meeting pattern and is published with the Master Schedule of Classes for the semester. 
During the summer session and for courses not offered according to the traditional semester format, the examination is normally given at the time of the final class session.   

Withdrawal Policy   

Students may withdraw from individual classes with a grade of  “W” until noon on the 35th day of regularly scheduled classes. After that date, withdrawals from individual classes are not permitted except for medical or other non-academic emergencies. A student who withdraws, for medical reasons, from the College or from a class after the 35th day of regularly scheduled classes must, by noon of the last class day, have a letter sent to the Dean of the student’s school by the student’s personal physician, detailing the nature of the illness and recommending withdrawal for medical reasons. In extenuating circumstances not related to academic performance, the Dean may grant a withdrawal if a written request from the student is received by noon of the last class day. If the Dean approves the request, the Dean will send a copy of the request or letter to the Office of Registration and all affected grades for that semester will be noted as “W” on the student’s transcript. The Dean will notify the student’s faculty members of any grade changes. 
Students withdrawing from the College should go to the Dean’s Office of their respective major to initiate the college withdrawal process. Undeclared students and special undergraduate students should report to the Dean of  the School of Liberal Arts and Sciences. 
For classes held in non-traditional time frames, such as summer school or for off-campus offerings, students may withdraw with no penalty during the first half of the course, but may not withdraw during the second half of the course except for medical or other non-academic emergencies.   

Voluntary Withdrawal   

It is the responsibility of any student wishing to withdraw from Longwood College (either during a semester or between semester periods) to initiate the official withdrawal process with the College. Students withdrawing from the College should go to the Dean’s Office of their respective major to initiate the college withdrawal process. Undeclared students and undergraduate special students should report to the Dean of the School of Liberal Arts and Sciences. This procedure is necessary only for students voluntarily withdrawing, and does not apply to students being suspended, graduating seniors, seniors going to off-campus field placements in their last semester before graduation, students who are participating in study abroad programs, or to students taking the final year at another institution under one of the cooperative degree programs. Any specific questions about withdrawal from the College should be directed to the respective Dean’s Office. 
Students in cooperative programs must notify the Office of Registration of their acceptance at the participating institution in order to ensure accurate record keeping during the final year and to initiate any appropriate refunds.   

Enforced Withdrawal   

The College will suspend or expel any student who fails to meet the standards of the College and the Student Government Association. In such a case, refunds may or may not be made at the discretion of the Vice President for Student Affairs.   


The achievement of a student in a course is indicated by the grade that is received.  
Grades for courses taken for undergraduate credit are recorded as follows:   

     A:    Superior work 

     B:    Above average work 

     C:    Average work 

     D:    Below average, but passing work 

     P:     Pass 

     F:     Failure   

     Plus and minus grades may, at the discretion of the instructor involved be recorded, but do not affect the computation of the grade point average.   

Special Grading   

I:   Incomplete. The grade of “I” indicates that because of illness or for other good reason the work of the semester has not been completed. When this work has been completed, a final grade will be reported. A grade of "Incomplete" will revert automatically to a grade of “F” if the necessary makeup work has not been completed and the grade recorded by the published date in the middle of the subsequent regular semester. 
R:   Re-enroll. This symbol indicates that a student has made satisfactory progress, but needs to repeat the course to reach the required exit proficiency level. The R grade will be used only in English 003 and Mathematics 004.
P:  This grade indicates that the student has received credit for the course on a pass/fail grading option. This option is generally limited to elective courses and to certain courses offered only on a pass/fail basis. 
AU:  Audit. This symbol indicates participation on a non-credit basis by students who meet certain minimum standards set by the course instructor. Students wishing to audit must have permission from the chair of the department in which the course is offered and are subject to the same tuition and fees as students enrolled for credit. 
W: Withdrawal. This symbol indicates withdrawal without academic penalty. It is automatically assigned for withdrawal from the end of the drop period (first ten class days) through the eighth week of the semester and for other documented withdrawals (See paragraph on Withdrawal Policy.)   


Students may take certain courses under the pass/fail system approved by the faculty in 1974. Pass/Fail courses are open to undergraduate students with 30 or more credit hours. A student may take a maximum of three courses; these courses may not be those which are required for general education or for major or minor requirements. Special non-degree students may also elect the pass/fail grading option. 
The student must do satisfactory work in order to obtain a passing grade. Satisfactory work is defined as "C" work or better. Courses taken under the pass/fail option will not be included in the calculation of the grade point average. Students who wish to take a course for Pass/Fail credit must notify the Office of Registration of that fact by the end of the first six weeks of classes in the semester, or the equivalent portion of a summer session. Once this declaration is made, grading status cannot be changed. 
In addition to the elective pass/fail grading option described above, certain courses in the college curriculum are designated for pass/fail grading. Such courses do not ordinarily satisfy general education, major, or minor requirements (except for internships/practica which may, at the department’s discretion, be graded pass/fail.) The students enrolled do not need to make any special declaration and are subject to no restrictions.   


Class size permitting and with department approval, a student may register for a course on an audit basis. Auditing a course means that a student enrolls in a course but does not receive academic credit. A student who registers for audit may be subject to other course requirements at the discretion of the instructor. Audit students are charged the regular rate of tuition and fees, and an audit course is counted as part of the student's semester load. (For purposes of enrollment certification for VA benefits or other programs requiring “for credit” enrollment, audit courses will not count toward the minimum number of credits required for full-time status.) 
A change in registration from “audit” to “credit” or from “credit” to “audit” must be effected by the end of the add period. A course taken for audit cannot be changed to credit at a later date, nor can a course taken for credit be changed at a later date to audit.   

Quality Points/Quality Hours   

The quality of work completed by a student is recognized by the assignment of points to the various grades, commonly referred to as the Four-Point System. 
Under this system, 4 quality points are given for each credit on which an “A” grade is made; 3 quality points are given for each credit on which a “B” grade is made; 2 quality points are given for each credit on which a “C” grade is made; and 1 quality point is given for each credit on which a “D” grade is made. No quality points are given if a grade of “F” is made. 
The term quality hours refers to the total number of hours on which the grade point average is calculated. This measure is derived from hours attempted by subtracting the equivalent credits for those courses that are foundation-level courses which are taken as pass/fail or under any other grading option which excludes calculation in the grade point average, those in which a grade of  “I” was awarded, those in which a grade of  “W” was awarded, and those which were taken for graduate credit.  
Under the four point system, a student's grade point average may be computed by dividing the total number of quality points by the total number of quality hours. 

A student's grade point average is based only on work taken at Longwood College. Grades received in affiliate programs shall be counted in the student's GPA only if the student registered through Longwood.   

Repeated Courses   

Students may repeat one or more courses, up to a total of five repeats, and have the most recent grade replace the original in grade point average calculations for the first five courses repeated. All enrollments and grades appear on the transcript. After the fifth repeat, both the original and repeated grade will be included in GPA calculations.   

Grade Estimates   

During the regular session, grade estimates are issued to all first-year students, upperclass students making a “D” or “F”, and students who are not making satisfactory academic progress (all students with a cumulative GPA less than 2.0). Estimate grades are due to the Office of Registration by noon on Monday of the sixth full week of classes and are mailed to the student at the permanent address with copies provided to the academic advisor and to the Dean of the School. 
Estimates are not recorded as part of the student's permanent academic record. They are, however, an important warning of academic risk to students and advisors.   

Grade Appeals   

The faculty of Longwood College is unequivocally committed to the principle that evaluation of student work and assignment of grades is a responsibility and a prerogative to be exercised solely by the individual instructor. 
However, should a student feel the final course grade received was unfairly or inaccurately awarded, the student first should see the instructor involved, for an explanation of why the grade was assigned. If the student continues to feel the grade is unfair, the student may file a written appeal with the department chair giving the reasons why the grade should be changed, with any available supporting evidence. The Department Chair/Dean will forward a copy of the appeal to the faculty member and will invite the faculty member to make a written response. For grades awarded in the fall semester, the written appeal must be submitted no later than February 1; for grades awarded in the spring smester and in summer school, the appeal must be filed no later than September 15. Appeals filed later will not be considered. 
     The Department Chair/Dean will within two weeks hold a joint consultation with the student and the faculty member awarding the grade. If the matter cannot be resolved, the Department Chair/Dean will within one week of the joint consultation, request in writing that the Executive Committee of the Faculty Senate appoint a committee to review all matters pertinent to the appeal. The committee will consist of three members of the full-time faculty in the same or related discipline(s). The Department Chair/Dean will send a copy of the request to the Vice President for Academic Affairs. When the committee has been named, the Executive Committee of the Faculty Senate shall inform the Department Chair/Dean, who will forward to the committee members the student’s original written appeal, a course syllabus, any written response from the faculty member, and all other materials pertinent to the appeal. Through the Department Chair/Dean, the committee may request other materials from the student or faculty member. The committee shall decide that the grade originally assigned will remain unchanged or that it will be changed to a grade decided on by the committee. The decision of the committee is final. The committee will report its decision in a letter signed by all three members and addressed to the Department Chair/Dean, with a copy to the Vice President for Academic Affairs, the appropriate Dean, the faculty member, the student, and the Office of Registration, who will record the grade. The review must be completed so that the grade will be final by the end of the eighth full week of classes. 
Should the appeal involve a grade assigned by a Department Chair, the Dean of the appropriate School will assume the role normally assigned to the Chair. Should the appeal involve a grade assigned by a Dean, the Vice President for Academic Affairs shall assume the role normally assigned to the Dean. 
Students should be aware of the fact that the review procedure may result in a grade being raised, lowered, or remaining unchanged.


President’s List   

The College recognizes superior scholarship through its President’s List which is published at the end of each semester. Students whose names appear on it are those who have earned a semester grade point average of 4.0 on a minimum of 12 semester hours work taken. Students eligible for the President’s List must complete all courses in the semester for which they are registered. A grade of “I” on a student’s record prevents consideration for this honor.   

Dean’s List   

The College recognizes outstanding scholarship through its Dean’s List which is published at the end of each semester. Students whose names appear on it are those who have earned a semester grade point average of 3.5 - 3.99 on a minimum of 12 semester hours work taken with no grade below “C-.” Students eligible for the Dean’s List must complete all courses in the semester for which they are registered. A grade of “I” on a student’s record prevents consideration for this honor.   

Academic Probation and Suspension Policy   

Continued enrollment in Longwood is a privilege that is granted a student who is making satisfactory academic progress. A degree-seeking student enrolled in Longwood is in good standing unless placed on academic suspension.   

Academic Probation   

Students are placed on probation based on their cumulative grade point average at the end of the fall semester and at the end of the last summer session. Students with cumulative grade point averages below 2.0 at the end of the spring semester will be notified that unless the raise their cumulative grade point average by the end of the last summer session they will be placed on probation at that time. Probation  indicates serious academic difficulty and notice is placed on the student’s academic record. Students on academic probation may not take more than 15 credits per semester and are encouraged to seek assistance in the Learning Center.   

Academic Suspension   

Students will be suspended from Longwood if: 

1.  They remain on academic probation for two consecutive regular semesters (fall or spring); or
2. Their cumulative grade point average falls below 1.0 with 1-23 quality hours at Longwood; or
3.  Their cumulative grade point average falls below 1.5 with 24 or more quality hours at Longwood. 

Students are suspended at the end of the fall semester and at the end of the last summer session. Students with cumulative grade point averages that qualify for suspension under the above criteria at the end of the spring semester will be notified that unless by the end of the last summer session they raise their cumulative grade point average so that they no longer meet any of the above criteria they will be suspended at that time. Suspended students may not enroll in classes at Longwood for academic credit.    

The first academic suspension means required withdrawal from the College for the semester (fall or spring) immediately following the semester in which the suspension occurs. A second suspension means required withdrawal from the College for a minimum of five calendar years. Notice of suspension is placed on the student’s academic record. 
Under extenuating circumstances, appeals for readmission or other exceptions to academic policies may be presented to the Faculty Petitions Committee. Students must contact the Office of Registration for information and deadlines for submitting an appeal.   

Readmission after Suspension   

Suspended students may apply for readmission to Longwood for the semester following completion of the suspension period. The student must apply at least 60 days before enrollment to the Admissions Committee, which will review the student’s record and citizenship at Longwood as well as courses taken elsewhere. A student denied readmission may appeal in writing through the Office of Admissions to the appropriate dean(s). Readmission to the College is not automatic, even if the student has raised his/her cumulative grade point average.
A student readmitted after suspension must satisfy the following conditions until the student’s cumulative grade point average is a minimum of 2.0: 

1.  enroll under the status of academic probation, 
2. maintain a minimum semester grade point average of 2.0 in each semester, and
3. may not enroll in more than 15 credits. 

     If a student fails to achieve the minimum grade point average of 2.0 in any semester before achieving a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0, the student will receive a second suspension.   


Longwood College student record policies comply fully with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, as amended, enacted as section 438 of the General Education Provisions Act. The accumulation, processing, and maintenance of student data by the College is limited to that information, including grades, which is necessary and relevant to the purposes of the college. Personal data of students will be used only for the purpose for which it is collected. 
Student data, whenever possible, shall be collected directly from the student; every effort will be made to ensure its accuracy and security. It shall be the express responsibility of the student to notify the Office of the Dean of Students of any changes in status. Any student  who initially or subsequently refuses to supply accurate and complete personal information, as is legally allowed, may jeopardize their current student status. Falsification of records with the intent to give untrue information is a violation of the Longwood College Honor Code. 
The College shall provide for the confidentiality and security of official student data and will release student information only as follows:   

1. Directory information which may include the student’s name, birth date, sex, ethnicity, nationality, local address, permanent address, e-mail address, telephone number, digitized photo (as appears on student College ID), parent’s name, major field of study, classification, participation in officially- recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, most recent educational institution attended by the student, dates of field experience, and other similar information. A student may inform the Office of Registration in writing that any or all directory information may not be released without prior written consent. A student who desires to restrict directory information from the public must complete the Student Directory Information Restriction form (available in the Registration Office) at the time of registration for the current academic year. Forms received after the last day to add a class for any semester, including summer, will not become effective until the following semester. 
2. To the students themselves. 
3.  To parents or a financial institution where financial support of the student is in evidence as defined in Section 152 of the IRS Code of 1970.
4.  To authorized College personnel (administrative officers, faculty, or their designees) who have legitimate educational interests as determined by the College, such as instruction, advising or educational research, or in performance of other duties    promoting necessary functions and management of the College as approved by  the records access control officer. 
5. To a third-party agency as expressly designated in writing by the student. 
6.  As required by judicial order or court subpoena, or as may be required or  permitted by law.
7.  In a situation of emergency in which the knowledge of confidential student information is necessary to protect the immediate health or safety of a student or other persons.  
8.   Student arrest and charge information classified as public information.  

     Under FERPA, Longwood is not required to provide prior notification to a student when responding to a Federal grand jury subpoena or other law enforcement subpoena, which specifies that the student not be informed of the existence of the subpoena. 
In cooperation with the State Council of Higher Education in Virginia and its efforts to support assessment, Longwood College will provide student transcripts to any public high school or community college in Virginia, which the student has previously attended, or to any agency charged with the responsibility for collecting and/or analyzing data for the purpose of educational assessment for such a unit. The receiving agency will be charged with responsibility for protecting the student's right to privacy and for appropriate disposition of the records. 
Eligible students are permitted to inspect and review educational records of which the student is the sole subject. College policy regarding the inspection and disclosure of educational records is in compliance with the federal statute. To obtain a copy of the Family Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (Section 438) or a copy of the college’s policy on student records, contact the Office of Registration, Longwood College, 201 High Street, Farmville, VA 23909. 
Student access to all personal records shall be permitted within 45 days of a written request, during normal office hours. All records shall be available and in a form comprehensible to the student, except for:   

1. Medical records which, upon  written authorization, shall be submitted to a psychologist or physician designated by the student 
2. Confidential financial statements and records of parents as excluded by law.
3. Third-party confidential recommendations when such access has been waived by the student. Where a waiver has been given, parents, as well as students, are excluded from viewing such confidential information. Students may also obtain copies of most parts of their records for a nominal fee.
      During normal office hours, the College shall provide an opportunity, for a student either in person, or by mail with proper identification, to challenge information believed to be inaccurate, incomplete, inappropriate, or misleading. All personal data challenged by a student shall be investigated by College officials. Completion of an investigation shall result in the following actions: 
     If the College concurs with the challenge, the student’s records shall be amended or purged as appropriate; all previous record recipients shall be so notified by the College. 
     If the investigation fails to resolve the dispute, the student shall be permitted to file a statement of not more than 200 words setting forth the student’s position.
     Copies of the statement will be supplied, at the student's expense, to previous and subsequent recipients of the record in question. 
     If a student wishes to make an appeal of the decision, the student may do so in writing to the President of the College. 

                    The names, dates of access, and purposes of all persons or agencies other than appropriate Longwood College personnel given access to a student's personal records shall be recorded and maintained. Student records are retained by the College for at least one year after completion of work at the College. Permanent academic records from which transcripts are derived are maintained indefinitely. A student may request and receive information concerning the record of access to official College records filed under the student’s name.
     Inquires concerning student records should be directed to the following departments.
     When applicable, a schedule of fees for copies of these records are available from that office. 

Academic Records/Transcripts – Office of Registration, Barlow Hall  
Disciplinary Records – Office of Student Services, Lancaster Hall
Financial Records – Office of Student Accounts, Lancaster Hall
Financial Aid Records – Office of Financial Aid, Lancaster Hall  
Medical/Health Records – Office of Student Health, Graham Building
Mental Health Records – Office of Counseling Services, Lancaster Hall    

Parental Access to Grades   

Longwood assumes all undergraduate students to be financially dependent on their parents; therefore, parents have access to student grades, schedules, transcripts, housing records, and directory information. Grade reports will be mailed to students at their permanent (home) address. Duplicate sets of grades can be made available on request and mailed to parents. 
A student who wishes to be treated as financially independent must apply for independent status by completing and filing the appropriate form with the Office of Registration. Upon approval, the student’s grades and records will be available only to him or her. 
Parents of students who have declared themselves to be financially independent  may gain access to student records and grades only by demonstrating to the College that the student is considered a dependent under the IRS code. 
All graduate and non-traditional students will be treated as financially independent. Non-traditional students are 24 years or older and do not reside on campus.  

Release of Transcripts   

Requests for transcripts of academic records should be directed to the Office of Registration. Upon written request by the student, an official transcript of the academic record will be issued to the person or institution designated, provided that all the student’s obligations to Longwood College have been satisfactorily settled. 
The only circumstances in which a student’s transcripts are released in the absence of a written authorization are those specific exceptions stated in the preceding policy on student records. 
Written requests for a transcript generally require one week for processing. 

Statement of General Transfer Policy   

In general, credits are accepted from institutions that are accredited by the appropriate regional accreditation agency provided such credits carry a grade of “C” or better and are comparable to courses offered at Longwood (see exceptions listed in Specific Policies). Transfer of credit does not necessarily imply applicability to specific degree requirements.   
     Transfer Articulation Agreement With The Virginia Community College System (VCCS),  Richard Bland College (RBC), The Maryland Community College System (MCCS) and Other Approved Out-of-State Associate Degree Programs      An accepted transfer student who has earned an Associate in Arts degree (AA), an Associate in Science degree (AS) or an Associate in Arts and Sciences degree (AA&S) from the VCCS, RBC, MCCS or other approved out-of-state associate degree program, prior to entering Longwood is considered to have satisfied the College’s General Education Goals,  is guaranteed junior class status, and is guaranteed that all credit earned for that degree will transfer (including D grades unless otherwise restricted for native students).  The student must then meet major and degree requirements, except where those requirements have been met as part of the two-year college curriculum. Re-admit students cannot enter under the Articulation Agreement. 
All other associate degrees will be examined individually for applicability of transfer credit.   

Specific Policies for Transfer of Credits 

1.  Students wishing to transfer VCCS “General Usage Courses” (such as cooperative education, seminar and project, and supervised study) will have to provide a college evaluator with additional information about the specific content of such courses. 
2. No transfer credit is granted for developmental work. 
3.   No transfer credit is granted for orientation courses, or grades less than “C”, unless the student has earned the AS, AA or AA&S from the VCCS, RBC, or MCCS.
4.  Two courses with essentially the same content cannot both be counted toward the same degree. 
5.  Hours or fractions in excess of those carried by Longwood courses for which equivalency is made are counted as free electives. Hours or fractions waived in accepting course equivalencies must be made up by elective credits to meet the total semester-hour requirements for a degree.   

     The cumulative grade point average of each student will be calculated only on work taken at Longwood. Transfer credit accepted from other institutions will be used to reduce the number of credits required for graduation, but it will not enter into the calculation of the grade point average.   

Additional Transfer Policy for Current and Former Longwood 
Students Taking Courses for Credit at Other Institutions

Any regularly-enrolled undergraduate who wishes to take work at another institution to transfer to Longwood must secure permission from his/her Dean prior to enrolling in such courses. Prior approval provides the student the opportunity to have the course reviewed to determine:  

1.   whether the course will transfer;
2. whether the course will satisfy a particular requirement; and
3.  whether the course might be considered a duplicate of a course already taken at Longwood.

     Upon completion of work, official transcripts must be sent from the host institution to the Office of Registration. 

Correspondence Course

A maximum of 14 semester hours of correspondence course credit may be applied toward a degree. WARNING: Correspondence courses should not be started after the beginning of the senior year, and must be completed and documented by no later than April 15 of the senior year, since failure to complete correspondence work is a frequent cause of failure to meet graduation requirements. The College does not accept, for transfer, credits earned through correspondence courses in the natural and physical sciences and certain other subjects. Students must obtain approval to include in the degree program correspondence and extension courses prior to enrolling in them. Otherwise, the College can assume no responsibility for accepting such grades on transfer.
The College cannot grant a student permission to enroll in a correspondence course until after the student has attended this institution for at least one full summer session or a semester.
When a student is enrolled in the College and also enrolls in a correspondence course, the credit to be earned in the course will be counted in the total load of work that the student is permitted to carry.

Longwood College Home Page

Catalog Home