Navigation Menu
  Longwood University Undergraduate Catalog 2005 - 2006

Longwood Rotunda Symbol

Academic Regulations

This section summarizes important information related to the academic work of the institution. Students must be familiar with the information in this section. It is the responsibility of each student to be certain that academic requirements necessary for graduation are completely fulfilled. The catalog for the year in which a student enters Longwood University governs academic regulations, general education, and graduation requirements. Transfer students may choose the catalog which applies to continuous full-time students at their class level. If a student re-enrolls in Longwood University after an absence of two or more semesters, the applicable catalog will be the one in effect at the time of re-enrollment.

Students may elect to graduate under the provisions of any subsequent catalog. In all cases, students must have been duly admitted to Longwood and an academic program of study and meet all of the requirements for graduation in one catalog. Students may not select partial requirements from more than one catalog. Students will be assumed to be under the catalog in effect at the time of admittance unless they notify the registration office, in writing, that they wish to adopt a subsequent catalog. Once a student has selected a subsequent catalog, they may not revert to an earlier catalog.

Catalogs are in effect for a six-year period. Students who do not complete the degree in six years may elect any subsequent catalog. If they fail to elect a particular catalog, they automatically become subject to the catalog in effect in their seventh year.


The purpose of assessment at Longwood is (a) to help individual students develop to their fullest potential and (b) to improve the educational programs of the institution. In the case of both the student and the institution, we intend to assess how effectively consensually-developed goals are being achieved, and based on these assessment data, we intend to generate recommendations and plans of action that will help achieve these goals.

In 1986 the Virginia Senate adopted Joint Resolution 83 directing state institutions of higher education to “establish assessment programs to measure student achievement.” Additionally, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools requires for accreditation that an institution “must define its expected educational results and describe how the achievement of these results will be ascertained.” (Criteria for Accreditation: Commission on Colleges, Section III: Institutional Effectiveness, 1989.)

Student participation is therefore required. Students who fail to participate may lose their priority ranking for registration and housing. The institution may withhold transcripts for three months for graduating seniors who fail to participate.

Academic Organization

For administrative purposes, Longwood University is divided into three colleges, each headed by a dean. Any academic rule or regulation making reference to a dean or specifying with the Dean’s permission is referring to the dean of the college in which the student’s major program of studies is associated.

Students who have not declared a major are in the College of Arts and Sciences.

Academic Advising

Longwood’s advising program provides informed academic counseling which makes effective use of the assessment, career planning, student development, and software resources available. Although course selection is important, advisors are trained and prepared to counsel or refer advisees on such matters as the following:

• assisting students in understanding their abilities, interests, and limitations;

• helping students clarify their values, developing an educational program consistent with these values, and relating their educational plans to their career plans;

• referring students to academic and student affairs support services;

• providing information about college and departmental policies, procedures, and resources;

• reviewing opportunities for academic involvement, internships, research with faculty, honorary societies, etc.;

• and, assisting students in evaluating their progress toward their educational goals.

Newly-admitted students who have declared their intention to pursue a degree in a particular discipline are assigned advisors in the appropriate college. The assignment of the advisor generally is not changed unless the student changes his/her degree program. Students who have not declared a major are advised by a special group of advisors who participate in the Longwood Seminar program.

Prior to registration, students are required to consult with their assigned academic advisor regarding course selection, career goals, and relevant academic policies. Advisor signatures are required on all registration forms. Note: Students who do not consult with their advisor prior to registering for class may be prohibited from using web registration.

Although the academic advisor assists students with curriculum decisions and options, the student bears full responsibility for meeting graduation requirements.

Declaration of Major

Students may declare a major upon entering Longwood. Undeclared students who have completed at least 45 credit hours must declare a major prior to registration. To change a major, a student must complete a Change of Major form available in the Office of Registration.

Course Numbers

The courses listed in this catalog that are numbered between 100 and 199 are designed primarily for first and second year students; those between 200 and 299 are for first, second, and third year students; those between 300 and 399 are for second, third, and fourth year students; and those between 400 and 499 are for third and fourth year students. Courses numbered from 500 to 599 are for graduates and advanced undergraduates; courses numbered 600 to 699 are for graduates only.

Course numbers between 000 and 099 indicate foundation-level courses. These courses may be required of some students to master deficiencies in certain fundamental skill areas prior to enrolling in courses requiring those skills. Foundation level courses do not carry credit toward an undergraduate degree.

Other courses offered Internships (1-18 credits) - 292, 392, 492; Directed or Independent Study (1-18 credits) - 390, 391, 490; Seminar - 461; Honors Research - 498, 499; Special Topics (1-6 credits) - 295, 495, 595; Study Abroad (1-18) - 311, 312.

Selected undergraduate Honors courses carry the designation Section 50 in the Master Schedule of Classes.

Student Load

Longwood University is organized on the semester plan whereby the credit hour, abbreviated as credit, is the semester hour. Freshmen normally carry 15 to 17 credits, but may carry 18 credits if they earned at least 2.0 on their previous semester’s work. Upper class students normally carry 15 to 18 credits, but may carry up to 21 if they earned at least 2.0 on their previous semester’s work. Students on probation or readmitted after suspension may not enroll in more than 15 credits per semester. A schedule beyond these limits requires special permission from the student’s dean or department chair. Students must take at least 12 credits to maintain full-time status.

Registration Procedures

Undergraduate students are expected to register in person with their advisor, in person in the Office of Registration or via WIN during one of the opportunities provided during the academic year:

1. Registration: normally a two week period in November for the following spring semester or in March/April for the following fall semester and limited to currently-enrolled, degree-seeking students.

2. Summer Registration: normally begins in March/April with students required to register by Registration Deadline for the session in which the course is listed to avoid a late registration fee.

3. Summer Preview: special registration procedures are provided for new freshmen and new transfer students during summer orientation. New students who cannot attend one of these programs register on final registration day.

4. Final Registration: the day immediately preceding the first day of classes each semester. (The degree-seeking student eligible for “Registration” who does not register prior to this final date incurs a late registration fee.)

Drop/Add Period

Students may make schedule adjustments (adds and/or drops) until the close of business on the sixth day of classes. A consultation with the advisor is encouraged for any change made during this period. Courses dropped during this period do not appear on the transcript.

No Academic Penalty Withdrawal Period (Free “W”)

Students may withdraw from individual classes with a grade of “W” (not computed in the GPA) through noon on the 35th day of regularly scheduled classes. Residential students who fall below full-time status with such a withdrawal will be referred to the Vice President for Student Affairs for special permission to remain in the residence hall.


Appropriate dates for the last day to drop/add, and last day to withdraw without academic penalty are included in the official college calendar and in the Master Schedule of Classes for regular semesters.

Appropriate dates for last day to drop/add, and last day to withdraw without academic penalty are included in the summer school class schedule and in the appropriate descriptive literature for other classes not meeting on a regular semester pattern.

All registration and drop/add transactions must have the approval of the academic advisor and must be processed through appropriate procedures by the deadline to become effective.

Class Attendance

Students are expected to attend all classes. Failure to attend class regularly impairs academic performance. Absences are disruptive to the educational process for others. This is especially true when absences cause interruptions for clarification of material previously covered, failure to assume assigned responsibilities for class presentations, or failure to adjust to changes in assigned material or due dates.

It is the responsibility of each instructor to give students a copy of his or her attendance policy in the course syllabus.

Instructors may assign a grade of “0” or “F” on work missed because of unexcused absences.

Instructors have the right to lower a student’s course grade, but no more than one letter grade, if the student misses 10 percent of the scheduled class meeting times for unexcused absences.

Instructors have the right to assign a course grade of “F” when the student has missed a total (excused and unexcused) of 25 percent of the scheduled class meeting times.

Students must assume full responsibility for any loss incurred because of absence, whether excused or unexcused. Instructors should permit students to make up work when the absence is excused. Excused absences are those resulting from the student’s participation in a college-sponsored activity, from recognizable emergencies, or from serious illness. Faculty may require documentation for excused absences in their attendance policy. Student Health Services can provide documentation only for students hospitalized locally or absent at the direction of Student Health Services personnel.


Written comprehensive examinations are given at the end of each course. For the regular session, two and a half hour examination blocks are scheduled during the final examination period which is indicated as part of the official college calendar. This scheduling is based on the course meeting pattern and is published with the Master Schedule of Classes for the semester.

During the summer session and for courses not offered according to the traditional semester format, the examination is normally given at the time of the final class session.

Withdrawal Policy

Students may withdraw from individual classes with a grade of “W” until noon on the 35th day of regularly scheduled classes. After that date, withdrawals from individual classes are not permitted except for medical or other non-academic emergencies. A student who withdraws, for medical reasons, from the College or from a class after the 35th day of regularly scheduled classes must, by noon of the last class day, have a letter sent to the Dean of the student’s college by the student’s personal physician, detailing the nature of the illness and recommending withdrawal for medical reasons. In extenuating circumstances not related to academic performance, the Dean may grant a withdrawal if a written request from the student is received by noon of the last class day. If the Dean approves the request, the Dean will send a copy of the request or letter to the Office of Registration and all affected grades for that semester will be noted as “W” on the student’s transcript. The Dean will notify the student’s faculty members of any grade changes.

Students withdrawing from the institution should go to the Dean’s Office of their respective major to initiate the college withdrawal process. Undeclared students and special undergraduate students should report to the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.

For classes held in non-traditional time frames, such as summer school or for off-campus offerings, students may withdraw with no academic penalty during the first half of the course, but may not withdraw during the second half of the course except for medical or other non-academic emergencies.

The deadline to withdraw without academic penalty should not be confused with any deadline to withdraw and receive a full or partial refund of charges. Please see the “Expenses and Financial Aid Refunds and Charge Adjustments” section of this catalog for information related to refunds and charge adjustments.

Voluntary Withdrawal

It is the responsibility of any student wishing to withdraw from Longwood (either during a semester or between semester periods) to initiate the official withdrawal process with the institution. Students withdrawing from the institution should go to the Dean’s Office of their respective major to initiate the college withdrawal process. Undeclared students and undergraduate special students should report to the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. This procedure is necessary only for students voluntarily withdrawing, and does not apply to students being suspended, graduating seniors, seniors going to off-campus field placements in their last semester before graduation, students who are participating in study abroad programs, or to students taking the final year at another institution under one of the cooperative degree programs. Any specific questions about withdrawal from the institution should be directed to the respective Dean’s Office.

Students in cooperative programs must notify the Office of Registration of their acceptance at the participating institution in order to ensure accurate record keeping during the final year and to initiate any appropriate refunds.

Enforced Withdrawal

Longwood will suspend or expel any student who fails to meet the standards of the institution and the Student Government Association. In such a case, refunds may or may not be made at the discretion of the Vice President for Student Affairs.


The achievement of a student in a course is indicated by the grade that is received. Grades for courses taken for undergraduate credit are recorded as follows:

A: Superior work

B: Above average work

C: Average work

D: Below average, but passing work

P: Pass

F: Failure

Plus and minus grades may, at the discretion of the instructor involved be recorded, but do not affect the computation of the grade point average.

Special Grading

I: Incomplete. The grade of “I” indicates that because of illness or for other good reason the work of the semester has not been completed. When this work has been completed, a final grade will be reported. A grade of “Incomplete” will revert automatically to a grade of “F” if the necessary makeup work has not been completed and the grade recorded by the published date in the middle of the subsequent regular semester.

P: This grade indicates that the student has received credit for the course on a pass/fail grading option. This option is generally limited to elective courses and to certain courses offered only on a pass/fail basis.

AU: Audit. This symbol indicates participation on a non-credit basis by students who meet certain minimum standards set by the course instructor. Students wishing to audit must have permission from the chair of the department in which the course is offered and are subject to the same tuition and fees as students enrolled for credit.

W: Withdrawal. This symbol indicates withdrawal without academic penalty. It is automatically assigned for withdrawal from the end of the drop period (first six class days) through the 35th day of regularly scheduled classes of the semester and for other documented withdrawals (See paragraph on Withdrawal Policy.)


Students may take certain courses under the pass/fail system approved by the faculty in 1974. Pass/Fail courses are open to undergraduate students with 30 or more credit hours. A student may take a maximum of three courses; these courses may not be those which are required for general education or for major or minor requirements. Special non-degree students may also elect the pass/fail grading option.

The student must do satisfactory work in order to obtain a passing grade. Satisfactory work is defined as “C” work or better. Courses taken under the pass/fail option will not be included in the calculation of the grade point average. Students who wish to take a course for Pass/Fail credit must notify the Office of Registration of that fact by the end of the first six weeks of classes in the semester, or the equivalent portion of a summer session. Once this declaration is made, grading status cannot be changed.

In addition to the elective pass/fail grading option described above, certain courses in the college curriculum are designated for pass/fail grading. Such courses do not ordinarily satisfy general education, additional degree requirements, major or minor requirements (except for internships/practica which may, at the department’s discretion, be graded pass/fail.) The students enrolled do not need to make any special declaration and are subject to no restrictions.


Class size permitting and with department approval, a student may register for a course on an audit basis. Auditing a course means that a student enrolls in a course but does not receive academic credit. A student who registers for audit may be subject to other course requirements at the discretion of the instructor. Audit students are charged the regular rate of tuition and fees, and an audit course is counted as part of the student’s semester load. (For purposes of enrollment certification for VA benefits or other programs requiring “for credit” enrollment, audit courses will not count toward the minimum number of credits required for full-time status.)

A change in registration from “audit” to “credit” or from “credit” to “audit” must be effected by the end of the add period. A course taken for audit cannot be changed to credit at a later date, nor can a course taken for credit be changed at a later date to audit.

Quality Points/Quality Hours

The quality of work completed by a student is recognized by the assignment of points to the various grades, commonly referred to as the Four-Point System.

Under this system, 4 quality points are given for each credit on which an “A” grade is made; 3 quality points are given for each credit on which a “B” grade is made; 2 quality points are given for each credit on which a “C” grade is made; and 1 quality point is given for each credit on which a “D” grade is made. No quality points are given if a grade of “F” is made.

The term quality hours refers to the total number of hours on which the grade point average is calculated. This measure is derived from hours attempted by subtracting the equivalent credits for those courses that are foundation-level courses which are taken as pass/fail or under any other grading option which excludes calculation in the grade point average, those in which a grade of “I” was awarded, those in which a grade of “W” was awarded, and those which were taken for graduate credit.

Under the four point system, a student’s grade point average may be computed by dividing the total number of quality points by the total number of quality hours.

A student’s grade point average is based only on work taken at Longwood. Grades received in affiliate programs shall be counted in the student’s GPA only if the student registered through Longwood.

Repeated Courses

Students may repeat courses. All enrollments and grades appear on the transcripts. For the first five repeats, the most recent grade will replace the original in grade point average calculations. After the fifth repeat, both the original and repeated grade will be included in grade point average calculations.

Grade Estimates

During the regular session, grade estimates are available to all first-year students, upperclass students making a “D” or “F”, and students who are not making satisfactory academic progress (all students with a cumulative GPA less than 2.0). Estimate grades are due to the Office of Registration by noon on Monday of the 30th day of regularly scheduled classes and are available to students via WIN (Web Information Network) and academic advisors via the student information system or FIN (Faculty Information Network).

Estimates are not recorded as part of the student’s permanent academic record. They are, however, an important warning of academic risk to students and advisors.

Grade Appeals

The faculty of Longwood University is unequivocally committed to the principle that evaluation of student work and assignment of grades is a responsibility and a prerogative to be exercised solely by the individual instructor.

However, should a student feel the final course grade received was unfairly or inaccurately awarded, the student first should see the instructor involved, for an explanation of why the grade was assigned. If the student continues to feel the grade is unfair, the student may file a written appeal with the department chair giving the reasons why the grade should be changed, with any available supporting evidence. The Department Chair/Dean will forward a copy of the appeal to the faculty member and will invite the faculty member to make a written response. For grades awarded in the fall semester, the written appeal must be submitted no later than February 1; for grades awarded in the spring semester and in summer school, the appeal must be filed no later than September 15. Appeals filed later will not be considered.

The Department Chair/Dean will within two weeks hold a joint consultation with the student and the faculty member awarding the grade. If the matter cannot be resolved, the Department Chair/Dean will within one week of the joint consultation, request in writing that the Executive Committee of the Faculty Senate appoint a committee to review all matters pertinent to the appeal. The committee will consist of three members of the full-time faculty in the same or related discipline(s). The Department Chair/Dean will send a copy of the request to the Vice President for Academic Affairs. When the committee has been named, the Executive Committee of the Faculty Senate shall inform the Department Chair/Dean, who will forward to the committee members the student’s original written appeal, a course syllabus, any written response from the faculty member, and all other materials pertinent to the appeal. Through the Department Chair/Dean, the committee may request other materials from the student or faculty member. The committee shall decide that the grade originally assigned will remain unchanged or that it will be changed to a grade decided on by the committee. The decision of the committee is final. The committee will report its decision in a letter signed by all three members and addressed to the Department Chair/Dean, with a copy to the Vice President for Academic Affairs, the appropriate Dean, the faculty member, the student, and the Office of Registration, who will record the grade. The review must be completed so that the grade will be final by the end of the eighth full week of classes.

Should the appeal involve a grade assigned by a Department Chair, the Dean of the appropriate College will assume the role normally assigned to the Chair. Should the appeal involve a grade assigned by a Dean, the Vice President for Academic Affairs shall assume the role normally assigned to the Dean.

Students should be aware of the fact that the review procedure may result in a grade being raised, lowered, or remaining unchanged.

Policy on Modification of General Education or Additional Degree Requirements

Modification to an additional degree (e.g. B.A. or B.S, etc.) requirement or general education requirement for any student is done through a petition submitted to the Faculty Petitions Committee through the Office of Registration. A standing committee of the Faculty Senate, the Faculty Petitions Committee is empowered to handle appeals from students for exemptions or variations from any university-wide academic rule or regulation.

A student petition must include the following:

1. A specific rationale for the exemption or variation

2. the plan for degree or general education modification

3. supporting documents when appropriate

a. If the exemption or variation is sought for a general education or additional degree requirement that is specified by the major, the petition must include a letter of support from the department chair.

b. If the exemption or variation is sought due to the impact of a disability, the petition must include verification of the following:

i. The Director of Disability Support Services, in conjunction with the instructor or department representative, evaluated whether reasonable accommodations could be made to allow the student to complete the requirements of the course and determined that accommodations which would not alter the essential function of the course were not possible.

ii. Appropriate documentation is on file with Disability Support Services (for example, the Comprehensive Test of Phonological Processing [C-TOPP] would currently be required for a petition to waive General Education Goal 10.)

The petition should be filed before an application for degree is submitted. All decisions of the Faculty Petitions Committee are final. Students may request a review based only on new information.


President’s List

Longwood University recognizes superior scholarship through its President’s List which is published at the end of each semester. Students whose names appear on it are those who have earned a semester grade point average of 4.0 on a minimum of 12 semester hours work taken. Students eligible for the President’s List must complete all courses in the semester for which they are registered. A grade of “I” on a student’s record prevents consideration for this honor.

Dean’s List

Longwood University recognizes outstanding scholarship through its Dean’s List which is published at the end of each semester. Students whose names appear on it are those who have earned a semester grade point average of 3.5 - 3.99 on a minimum of 12 semester hours work taken with no grade below “C-.” Students eligible for the Dean’s List must complete all courses in the semester for which they are registered. A grade of “I” on a student’s record prevents consideration for this honor.

Academic Probation and Suspension Policy

Continued enrollment in Longwood is a privilege that is granted a student who is making satisfactory academic progress. A degree-seeking student enrolled in Longwood is in good standing unless placed on academic suspension.

Academic Probation

Students are placed on probation based on their cumulative grade point average at the end of the fall semester and at the end of the last summer session. Students with cumulative grade point averages below 2.0 at the end of the spring semester will be notified that unless they raise their cumulative grade point average by the end of the last summer session they will be placed on probation at that time. Probation indicates serious academic difficulty and notice is placed on the student’s academic record. Students on academic probation may not take more than 15 credits per semester and are encouraged to seek assistance in the Learning Center.

Academic Suspension

Students will be suspended from Longwood University if:

1. They remain on academic probation for two consecutive regular semesters

(fall is a regular semester, spring and summer are combined as a regular semester except when a student has been readmitted after suspension); or

2. Their cumulative grade point average falls below 1.0 with 1-23 quality hours at Longwood; or

3. Their cumulative grade point average falls below 1.5 with 24 or more quality hours at Longwood.

Students are suspended at the end of the fall semester and at the end of the last summer session. Students with cumulative grade point averages that qualify for suspension under the above criteria at the end of the spring semester will be notified that unless by the end of the last summer session they raise their cumulative grade point average so that they no longer meet any of the above criteria they will be suspended at that time. Suspended students may not enroll in classes at Longwood for academic credit.

The first academic suspension means required withdrawal from the institution for the semester (fall or spring) immediately following the semester in which the suspension occurs. A student may elect to attend summer school after sitting out spring semester, however, the student will be subject to the probation and suspension policy at the end of the summer. A second suspension means required withdrawal from the institution for a minimum of five calendar years. Notice of suspension is placed on the student’s academic record.

Under extenuating circumstances, appeals for readmission or other exceptions to academic policies may be presented to the Faculty Petitions Committee. Students must contact the Office of Registration for information and deadlines for submitting an appeal.

Readmission after Suspension

Suspended students may apply for readmission to Longwood for the semester following completion of the suspension period. The student must apply at least 60 days before enrollment to the Admissions Committee, which will review the student’s record and citizenship at Longwood as well as courses taken elsewhere. A student denied readmission may appeal in writing through the Office of Admissions to the appropriate deans(s). Readmission to the institution is not automatic, even if the student has raised his/her cumulative grade point average.

A student readmitted after suspension must satisfy the following conditions until the student’s cumulative grade point average is a minimum of 2.0:

1. enroll under the status of academic probation,

2. maintain a minimum semester grade point average of 2.0 in each semester (spring and summer are not combined and a student can be re-suspended at the end of a spring semester), and

3. may not enroll in more than 15 credits.

If a student fails to achieve the minimum grade point average of 2.0 in any semester before achieving a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0, the student will receive a second suspension.


Longwood student record policies comply fully with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, as amended, enacted as section 438 of the General Education Provisions Act. The accumulation, processing, and maintenance of student data by the institution is limited to that information, including grades, which is necessary and relevant to the purposes of the college. Personal data of students will be used only for the purpose for which it is collected.

Student data, whenever possible, shall be collected directly from the student; every effort will be made to ensure its accuracy and security. It shall be the express responsibility of the student to notify the Office of Registration of any changes in status. Any student who initially or subsequently refuses to supply accurate and complete personal information, as is legally allowed, may jeopardize their current student status. Falsification of records with the intent to give untrue information is a violation of the Longwood Honor Code.

Longwood University designates the following categories of student information only as follows: as public or “Directory Information,” Such information MAY be disclosed by the institution at its discretion.

1. Directory information may include the student’s name, local address, Longwood e-mail address, local telephone number, major field of study, classification, participation in officially- recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, and dates of field experience. A student may inform the Office of Registration in writing that any or all directory information may not be released without prior written consent. A student who desires to restrict directory information from the public must complete the Student Directory Information Restriction form (available in the Registration Office) at the time of registration for the current academic year. Forms received after the last day to add a class for any semester, including summer, will not become effective until the following semester.

2. To the students themselves.

3. To authorized Longwood personnel (administrative officers, faculty, or their designees) who have legitimate educational interests as determined by the institution, such as instruction, advising or educational research, or in performance of other duties promoting necessary functions and management of Longwood as approved by the records access control officer.

4. To a third-party agency as expressly designated in writing by the student.

5. As required by judicial order or court subpoena, or as may be required or permitted by law.

6. In a situation of emergency in which the knowledge of confidential student information is necessary to protect the immediate health or safety of a student or other persons.

7. Student arrest and charge information classified as public information.

Under FERPA, Longwood is not required to provide prior notification to a student when responding to a Federal grand jury subpoena or other law enforcement subpoena, which specifies that the student not be informed of the existence of the subpoena.

In cooperation with the State Council of Higher Education in Virginia and its efforts to support assessment, Longwood University will provide student transcripts to any public high school or community college in Virginia, which the student has previously attended, or to any agency charged with the responsibility for collecting and/or analyzing data for the purpose of educational assessment for such a unit. The receiving agency will be charged with responsibility for protecting the student’s right to privacy and for appropriate disposition of the records.

Eligible students are permitted to inspect and review educational records of which the student is the sole subject. Longwood policy regarding the inspection and disclosure of educational records is in compliance with the federal statute. To obtain a copy of the Family Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (Section 438) or a copy of the college’s policy on student records, contact the Office of Registration, Longwood, 201 High Street, Farmville, VA 23909.

Student access to all personal records shall be permitted within 45 days of a written request, during normal office hours. Students may also obtain copies of most parts of their records for a nominal fee. All records shall be available and in a form comprehensible to the student, except for:

1. Medical records which, upon written authorization, shall be submitted to a psychologist or physician designated by the student.

2. Confidential financial statements and records of parents as excluded by law.

3. Third-party confidential recommendations when such access has been waived by the student. Where a waiver has been given, parents, as well as students, are excluded from viewing such confidential information.

During normal office hours, Longwood shall provide an opportunity, for a student either in person, or by mail with proper identification, to challenge information believed to be inaccurate, incomplete, inappropriate, or misleading. All personal data challenged by a student shall be investigated by Longwood officials. Completion of an investigation shall result in the following actions:

If Longwood concurs with the challenge, the student’s records shall be amended or purged as appropriate; all previous record recipients shall be so notified by the institution.

If the investigation fails to resolve the dispute, the student shall be permitted to file a statement of not more than 200 words setting forth the student’s position. Copies of the statement will be supplied, at the student’s expense, to previous and subsequent recipients of the record in question.

If a student wishes to make an appeal of the decision, the student may do so in writing to the President of Longwood.

The names, dates of access, and purposes of all persons or agencies other than appropriate Longwood personnel given access to a student’s personal records shall be recorded and maintained. Student records are retained by the institution for at least one year after completion of work at the institution. Permanent academic records from which transcripts are derived are maintained indefinitely. A student may request and receive information concerning the record of access to official Longwood records filed under the student’s name.

Inquires concerning student records should be directed to the following departments.

When applicable, schedules of fees for copies of these records are available from that office.

Academic Records/Transcripts - Office of Registration, Barlow Hall

Disciplinary Records - Office of Honor and Judicial Programs, Lancaster Hall

Financial Records - Office of Student Accounts, Lancaster Hall

Financial Aid Records - Office of Financial Aid, Lancaster Hall

Medical/Health Records - Office of Student Health, Graham Building

Mental Health Records - Office of Counseling Services, Lancaster Hall

Access to Student Information

To comply with the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (as amended), Longwood University will not release education records or personally identifiable information contained therein without the student’s written consent. Individuals seeking access to your records should include a copy of your written consent when requesting non-directory information.

Release of Transcripts

Requests for transcripts of academic records should be directed to the Office of Registration. Upon written request by the student, an official transcript of the academic record will be issued to the person or institution designated, provided that all the student’s obligations to Longwood have been satisfactorily settled.

The only circumstances in which a student’s transcripts are released in the absence of a written authorization are those specific exceptions stated in the preceding policy on student records.

Written requests for a transcript generally require one week for processing.

Statement of General Transfer Policy

In general, credits are accepted from institutions that are accredited by the appropriate regional accreditation agency provided such credits carry a grade of “C” or better and are comparable to courses offered at Longwood University (see exceptions listed in Specific Policies). Transfer of credit does not necessarily imply applicability to specific degree requirements.

Transfer Articulation Agreement With The Virginia Community College System (VCCS), Richard Bland College (RBC), The Maryland Community College System (MCCS) and Other Approved Out-of-State Associate Degree Programs.

An accepted transfer student who has earned an Associate in Arts degree (AA), an Associate in Science degree (AS) or an Associate in Arts and Sciences degree (AA&S) from the VCCS, RBC, MCCS or other approved out-of-state associate degree program, prior to entering Longwood is considered to have satisfied the Longwood’s General Education Goals 1 - 9 and 11, is guaranteed junior class status, and is guaranteed that all credit earned for that degree will transfer (including D grades unless otherwise restricted for native students). The student must then meet major and degree requirements, except where those requirements have been met as part of the two-year college curriculum. Re-admit students cannot enter under the Articulation Agreement.

Goal 10. The ability to communicate and function in a globally interdependent world as developed through foreign language study (three credits). NOTE: Students who complete a foreign language course at the 202 level or above as part of the Additional Degree Requirements are exempted from this goal. Goal 10 is not fulfilled through articulation agreements. Foreign language study must be a the 201 level or higher.

All other associate degrees will be examined individually for applicability of transfer credit.

Specific Policies for Transfer of Credits

1. Students wishing to transfer VCCS “General Usage Courses” (such as cooperative education, seminar and project, and supervised study) will have to provide a college evaluator with additional information about the specific content of such courses.

2. No transfer credit is granted for developmental work.

3. No transfer credit is granted for orientation courses, or grades less than “C”, unless the student has earned the AS, AA or AA&S from the VCCS, RBC, or MCCS.

4. Two courses with essentially the same content cannot both be counted toward the same degree.

5. Hours or fractions in excess of those carried by Longwood courses for which equivalency is made are counted as free electives. Hours or fractions waived in accepting course equivalences must be made up by elective credits to meet the total semester-hour requirements for a degree.

The cumulative grade point average of each student will be calculated only on work taken at Longwood. Transfer credit accepted from other institutions will be used to reduce the number of credits required for graduation, but it will not enter into the calculation of the grade point average.

Additional Transfer Policy for Current and Former Longwood Students Taking Courses for Credit at Other Institutions

Any regularly-enrolled undergraduate who wishes to take work at another institution to transfer to Longwood must secure permission from his/her Dean prior to enrolling in such courses. Prior approval provides the student the opportunity to have the course reviewed to determine:

1. whether the course will transfer;

2. whether the course will satisfy a particular requirement; and

3. whether the course might be considered a duplicate of a course already taken at Longwood.

Upon completion of work, official transcripts must be sent from the host institution to the Office of Registration.

Correspondence Course

A maximum of 14 semester hours of correspondence course credit may be applied toward a degree.

WARNING: Correspondence courses should not be started after the beginning of the senior year, and must be completed and documented by no later than April 15 of the senior year, since failure to complete correspondence work is a frequent cause of failure to meet graduation requirements. Longwood does not accept, for transfer, credits earned through correspondence courses in the natural and physical sciences and certain other subjects. Students must obtain approval to include in the degree program correspondence and extension courses prior to enrolling in them. Otherwise, Longwood can assume no responsibility for accepting such grades on transfer.

The institution cannot grant a student permission to enroll in a correspondence course until after the student has attended this institution for at least one full summer session or a semester.

When a student is enrolled in Longwood University and also enrolls in a correspondence course, the credit to be earned in the course will be counted in the total load of work that the student is permitted to carry.

Academic Calendar | General Information | College of Arts & Sciences | College of Business & Economics
College of Education & Human Services | Faculty | Catalog Search | Catalog Home | Longwood University Home