Navigation Menu
  Longwood University Undergraduate Catalog 2005 - 2006

Longwood Rotunda Symbol


Undergraduate Admissions

Teacher with student

Longwood University accepts applicants for fall, spring, and summer terms and is pledged to a non-discriminatory admissions policy. To receive Longwood information, email us at or go to



1. Complete and return the Undergraduate Application for Admission by the priority date of March 1. The application must be accompanied by a non-refundable application fee of $40.00 or by an official Fee Waiver Form from the College Entrance Examination Board that has been issued and signed by the student’s counselor. Longwood application forms may be obtained in most high school or community college counseling offices, by writing to the Office of Admissions, Longwood, Farmville, VA, 23909-1898, or on-line at

2. Request that the student’s high school submit to the Office of Admissions an official high school transcript. Students who have attended other colleges or universities under dual enrollment programs must also request that those institutions send official transcripts.

3. Take the Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT I) of the College Entrance Examination Board, or the American College Testing Service Examination (ACT), and request that the test scores be sent to our Office of Admissions. Students planning to major in a modern language should take the subject test (SAT II) in the language or languages of their choice for placement purposes.

4. Submit any additional information that will be helpful to the Admissions Committee.

Upon receipt of the student’s application, application fee, official transcript(s), and test scores, the Admissions Committee carefully examines the student’s qualifications and notifies the student as to whether or not the applicant is accepted for admission.

Freshman admissions decisions are competitive and based on academic performance in high school. Performance will be measured by considering academic units completed (college preparatory), class standing, cumulative grade-point average, and the scores on the SAT or ACT college entrance test. The Admissions Committee will also review additional information submitted by the candidate in support of the application. Primary emphasis, however, is placed on academic credentials.

Selection criteria are established each year by the Board of Visitors within the mission and resources of the University.  Most of Virginia accepted applicants graduated from high school with the Advanced Studies Diploma.

Admission to the University does not imply admission to a specific degree program.  Please review the Academic Programs section of this catalog for specific requirements.

Students accepted for admission will be required to make a non-refundable deposit of $400.00 if they will be residential students and $100.00 if they will be commuting students. The deposit is due by May 1. Students accepted after May 1 must pay a non-refundable deposit within one week of their acceptance.

Early Action Admission: Longwood offers Early Action Admission to freshman applicants who possess above-average high school records, class standing, and SAT I or ACT scores. To be considered for Early Action, applications must be received by December 1; candidates will be notified by early January. The offer of admission is non-binding for the student. Students not selected for Early Action will automatically be considered for regular undergraduate admission.

Early Admission: High school juniors who have demonstrated high academic achievement in a college preparatory program may be considered for Early Admission. General application procedures and deadlines are the same as for seniors, with the following additional documentation required: written endorsement from the Director of Guidance or Principal; a letter from the parents or guardian in support of the decision; and a statement from the applicant outlining the reasons for seeking to begin college after the junior year of high school.

Criteria: Applicants for undergraduate degree programs should be graduates of an accredited high school, anticipating graduation from an accredited high school, or hold the GED Certificate with satisfactory scores. All students, whether high school graduates or GED holders, are expected to meet the following minimum requirements for admission: (Meeting minimum requirements does not imply automatic admissions.)

1. Four units of English

2. Three units of mathematics, including Algebra I and II, and Geometry

3. Three units of science, two of which must include a laboratory

4. Three units of social studies, including American History and Government
Non-Virginia residents may substitute a second unit of history or social science in place of government.

5. Two units of one foreign language (additional units strongly recommended)

6. Two units of health and physical education

7. One unit of fine or practical arts

Additional units of science, mathematics, social studies, fine arts, and foreign languages are strongly recommended. An advanced studies curriculum is preferred.


Procedures: Transfer students should complete and return an application for admission, accompanied by a $40.00 non-refundable application fee by the priority date of March 1. The student should request that a final official high school transcript and official transcripts from each college attended be sent directly to the Office of Admissions. It is important to indicate on the application if an Associates of Arts and/or Science Degree will be received before transferring to Longwood.

Transfer students with 45 or more semester hours must declare a major prior to admission. Undeclared transfer students must declare a major upon completion of 45 credit hours (includes Longwood hours and transferred hours).

Criteria: A minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) for all hours attempted at all accredited colleges attended is expected to be considered for admission. Achievement of the minimum GPA does not imply automatic admission. Transfer applications are reviewed with primary emphasis on academic course work taken at the college level. Students are expected to have successfully completed academic course work in four main academic areas: English, mathematics, science, and history/social science. Transfer applicants who will have earned fewer than 30 transferable semester hours in college-level subjects prior to enrollment at Longwood and/or who are under 22 years of age may also be evaluated on their high school academic performance and SAT scores.

Virginia Community College and Richard Bland College students planning to transfer to Longwood should consult with their college counselor and review the Longwood Transfer Guide, which is available at


Nontraditional Students: Students 25 years and older or whose life experiences (family, marital status, employment history, military service, etc.) indicate nontraditional consideration should submit an Adult Application for Admission, a $40.00 non-refundable application fee, and a statement of educational goals. Students who have attended other accredited post-secondary institutions must have official transcripts from each institution forwarded directly to the Office of Admissions. Official high school transcripts or GED Certification must also be submitted. A personal interview with an admissions counselor may be required.

Adult applicants who do not meet the standard requirements of minimum academic units and/or SAT scores may be accepted conditionally. A conditional acceptance would require the successful completion of three general education or major requirement courses with a grade of “C” or better. A student deficient in mathematics, English, social science and/or science may be required to complete specific courses at a community college before entering Longwood.

International Students: In addition to the program of study and SAT I requirements, the international student must also demonstrate proficiency in the English language through the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language). A minimum score of 550 (paper test) or a 213 (computer test) is needed for admission. In certain cases, SAT scores may exempt students from the TOEFL Exam and vice versa. International students should request a copy of the International Student Application and visit our web site at

To allow time for credential evaluation and unexpected delays in international mail, international students should mail the International Student Application for Admission and high school records at least six months before planning to enroll. The Office of Admissions requires an English translation for each transcript.

International students should pay particular attention to possible medical needs and be immunized for the following diseases: Measles (Rubeola), German Measles (Rubella), Mumps, Diphtheria, Tetanus, Polio, Meningitis, Hepatitus B and have a tuberculosis screening  within the past year. Medical insurance is mandatoryAll international students and any dependent residing with them in the U.S. must obtain medical insurance that provides coverage for hospitalization expenses, medical evacuation, and repatriation expenses.  International students who will be staying for a degree or more than one semester will be managed per Virginia law and will not be able to register for the next semester if the immunizations are not complete. 

Students must certify sufficient financial resources in order to be issued a visa to attend Longwood. A foreign national must provide an affidavit that shows that he/she has enough money to pay for four years at Longwood. The affidavit must be signed by the student and parent and be certified by a bank official. Longwood does not provide financial aid for international students.

Admissions for Students with Disabilities: Admission to Longwood is based on the requirements outlined in this catalog. Admission decisions are made without regard to disabilities. All applicants are reviewed through the same admissions procedures and are expected to present academic credentials at or above the minimum standards for admission as established annually by the Board of Visitors. Scores from admissions tests (SAT or ACT) taken with accommodations are accepted.

Individuals who wish to request Longwood publications or applications in an alternate format should contact the Director of Disability Support Services at 434.395.2391; TRS: 711; or

Disability Disclosure Policy: Once admitted, students seeking accommodations must notify the Director of Disability Support Services. The Director will determine what documentation is needed in order to establish the most appropriate accommodations. In addition to reviewing the documentation, the Director may request an interview between the student and a professional competent to evaluate the student’s needs.

Longwood recognizes both the wide variations in the needs of students with disabilities and the fact that as students progress through their programs, unanticipated needs may arise. The Director will, at the request of the student, faculty, or staff review the process by which the current accommodations were determined and revise the accommodations as appropriate.

Readmission Candidates: Students who have not attended Longwood for one (even if withdrawal occurred at the end of the semester) or more semesters must submit an Application for Readmission and a $20.00 fee to the Office of Admissions at least 60 days before the beginning of the term in which they plan to enroll. Readmission is not automatic. Each decision is made on an individual basis. An Admissions Committee reviews the academic record and citizenship at Longwood as well as courses taken elsewhere. Official transcripts from other colleges of such course work are required.

The Admissions Committee is not obligated to readmit any student; however, a student denied readmission may appeal in writing to the Office of Admissions. The appropriate Dean(s) will review the appeal. Students eligible to be readmitted may not, in some cases, be eligible to enroll in a particular major because their academic standing may be below the required minimum for the program.

Readmit students are not eligible to benefit from the Articulation Agreement with community colleges. However, individual courses will be evaluated and granted credit if appropriate.

Applications for readmission are available from the Office of Admissions in person, by mail, by calling 434.395.2060, or by emailing You may also download an application at

Special Students: Students not seeking a degree may be permitted to take courses for which they are qualified. Students who have been denied regular admission to an undergraduate program at Longwood may not register as special students without permission from the Director of Admissions and the Dean of the School of the student’s intended major. Special students must maintain at least a “C” average in order to continue. A student in this category who wishes to carry a full-time load (12 credits or more) must have permission from the Dean of the College; such permission is generally limited to those students who are working toward a special certification or license and who have demonstrated their ability to do college-level work.

Special students may register for classes directly through the Office of Registration. First-time special students must complete an information sheet and the Application for Virginia In-State Tuition Rates. Tuition and fee payments are due in full at the time of registration.

Special students are advised that credits earned as a special student are not necessarily applicable toward a Longwood degree program. After admission, such credits, as well as credits earned at other colleges or universities, will be evaluated as to applicability to the specific degree program in which the student wishes to enroll.

Special students are encouraged to apply for admission before they complete 24 credit hours. Special permission is required from the Registrar in order to take more than 24 hours as a special student.

Teacher Licensure: A student who has earned a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution may complete the course requirements for teacher licensure in Virginia. These students may register as special students.

Information about required courses and procedures for application for licensure is available from Longwood’s Licensure Officer in the Department of Education or Special Education, 434.395.2204.

Second Baccalaureate Degree: A student who has earned a baccalaureate degree from Longwood or any other accredited institution may earn a second baccalaureate degree by satisfying the following requirements:

1. Submit an undergraduate Application for Admission, a $40.00 non-refundable application fee, and all official college transcripts directly to the Office of Admissions.

2. Submit a completed undergraduate Application for Degree to the Office of Registration, along with a $40.00 diploma fee to the Office of Cashiering and Student Accounts. In order to complete the Application for Degree, the student must meet with the appropriate Department Chair. (Note: The admission process will not be completed until this application has been filed.)

3. Complete, at Longwood, at least 30 semester hours in a second-degree program beyond that work applied toward the first degree. All lower division general education requirements (except foreign language) are met by the first degree. Additional degree requirements are met by the first degree where applicable.

4. Maintain a minimum 2.0 grade point average cumulatively and in the major unless a higher minimum grade point average is specified for a particular major.

Credit for AP, IB and CLEP Tests: Longwood offers academic credit through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and through Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations. Students seeking information concerning CLEP or Advanced Placement Examinations may contact the Educational Testing Service at AP Services, PO Box 6671, Princeton, NJ 08541-6671, or CLEP, PO Box 6600, Princeton, NJ 08541-6000; or their guidance counselor. Information concerning acceptable scores and course equivalences are available from the Office of Admissions or Office of Registration. Longwood does not offer credit for the General Area CLEP Exams.


Longwood’s Honor Code prohibits lying, cheating, and stealing. Students who complete the Application for Admission pledge to abide by The Honor Code. Should a student falsify the information provided on the application, alter academic documents, plagiarize the personal statements, or otherwise issue an untrue statement as part of the application process, the offer of admission will be revoked. Longwood also reserves the right to revoke an offer of admission should a student’s academic performance fall below established minimums or should a student fail to meet written conditions stated in the admission letter prior to matriculation.

Qualifying for Virginia Tuition Rates

Complete guidelines regarding eligibility for in-state tuition rates are covered in Section 23-7.4 of the Code of Virginia. All Virginia public institutions follow these guidelines. Guidelines are available at The following information briefly describes the ways in which students may qualify for in-state tuition rates; it is not intended as an exhaustive analysis of the complex statutory provisions affecting applicants.

Generally, to be classified as a Virginia resident for tuition purposes, the parent/legal guardian of a minor or dependant student must physically reside in Virginia for at least one year prior to the intended date of enrollment. Payment of state taxes, voter registration, car registration, and driver's license are also considered in determining eligibility. Eligibility for students under 24 years of age and/or who are dependents for tax purposes will usually be determined by the parent/ legal guardian's status on the above-mentioned items.

Dependents of Military Parents

An active duty military parent may qualify for in-state tuition rates if, while residing in Virginia, he or she adopts Virginia as his or her legal domicile. This is accomplished by filing a State of Legal Residence Certificate declaring Virginia as one's domicile for income tax purposes and fulfilling the domiciliary intent requirements as discussed above. The one-year requirement is waived for active duty military personnel who fulfill all other conditions for establishing domicile. A student claiming entitlement to in-state privileges through the military parent's status as a Virginia domiciliary must submit with the application a copy of the parent's Leave and Earnings Statement and other documents as requested.

In order for a non-military parent to demonstrate Virginia domiciliary status for purposes of in-state tuition rates the following criteria must be met for at least one year: physical residence in Virginia, the filing of Virginia income tax returns (if employed), possession of a Virginia driver's license and motor vehicle registration, and other objective factors.

The dependent child of a military person and a non-military spouse who are not domiciled in Virginia may nevertheless qualify for in-state rates through the military exception provision. Pursuant to Section 23-7.4:2, in-state tuition may be granted to the child of a military parent stationed and residing in Virginia if, for at least one year immediately prior to the date of intended enrollment, the non-military parent has resided in Virginia, been employed full-time and claimed the student as a dependent on federal and resident Virginia income tax returns. At the present time, full-time employment is defined as an annual earned income of at least $10,300. Entitlement under this provision continues only so long as the requirements continue to be met. Under this provision the non-military parent is not required to demonstrate his or her intent to be domiciled in Virginia.



Upon application for admissions, the Application for In-State Tuition is submitted to the Office of Admissions for review and decision. If the applicant is accepted, the residency determination is included in the acceptance letter.

If the student does not agree with the domicile decision, a letter of appeal with supporting documentation should be submitted to the Admissions Office for review and subsequent decision. If the student does not agree with this decision, a written appeal with supporting documentation should be submitted to the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs. If the student does not agree with this decision, the student may petition the Circuit Court.

Current Students

The University may initiate a reclassification inquiry at any time after the occurrence of events or a change in facts give rise to a reasonable doubt about the validity of existing residential classification.

A current student wishing to have the domicile changed for tuition purposes should submit a written request with supporting documentation to the Registrar’s Office. If the student does not agree with this decision, a written appeal with supporting documentation should be submitted to the Office of the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs. If the student does not agree with this decision, the student may petition the Circuit Court.

Establishing in-state status while one is a student can occur if the parent(s) of a dependent student moves to Virginia and fulfills the requirements of domicile including the one-year residency. Students classified as out-of-state must present clear and convincing evidence to rebut the presumption that residing in Virginia is primarily to attend school. Residence or physical presence in Virginia primarily to attend college does not entitle students to in-state tuition rates.

Academic Calendar | General Information | College of Arts & Sciences | College of Business & Economics
College of Education & Human Services | Faculty | Catalog Search | Catalog Home | Longwood University Home