Commencement Exercises Graduate
On Friday, May 14, all Masters degree candidates report to Blackwell Hall Foyer at 4:45 pm with academic regalia. Blackwell Hall Foyer is located directly behind the Rotunda in Ruffner Hall. Staff and junior marshals will be present to assist you with lining up by college and concentration.
Commencement exercises are Friday May 14 at 5:30 pm in Jarman Hall.
REMINDER: Graduates are expected to conduct themselves as adults--no alcohol present. All cell phones should be turned to silent mode. No beach balls, bubbles, or other distractions allowed during the formal ceremony.
NO REHEARSAL FOR GRADUATES. Only graduates who are part of the platform party will have rehearsal.
You may invite as many guests as you wish. Please show respect for your fellow students and plan to stay for the entire ceremony.
All degree and professional endorsement candidates must wear appropriate attire for the Commencement ceremony, which includes the academic cap and gown, and dark shoes.
Hooding will be part of the ceremony. Please bring your hood, but do not wear it for the processional.
- Graduates should wear dark shoes with dark trousers or a skirt no longer than their gown.
- Don't wear bright colors on top that will detract from your hood.
- The gown is worn with the zipper in front.
- The mortarboard should be worn so that the point marked "Front of Cap" is down on your forehead. This allows the mortarboard to sit flat on the top of your head. Bring bobby pins to secure the mortarboard and safety pins to attach the hood firmly.
- Masters: The tassel is worn on the left and is not turned during the ceremony.
- Color of velvet hood stripe by degree:
MA - white; MS - goldenrod; MBA - drab; MED - light blue.
We are pleased to announce that Longwood uses the GreenWeaver line of regalia -- graduation caps and gowns made of 100% post-consumer recycled plastic bottles.
The Graduate Student Advisory Council will host a reception for all masters degree graduates and their commencement guests following the ceremony. The reception will be on the front lawn of Jarman.