Alternate Format Services
A Complete Look
The following information is designed to assist students registered with Disability Resources that have an accommodation for alternate format services. If you need to verify this accommodation then please contact Disability Resources at 434.395.2391 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once you have requested services, Disability Resources staff will reach out to you to provide an official timeline for service completion and other important information. If you need resources from the Greenwood Library then you are encouraged to speak with their staff first for assistance.
Please know that when completing your alternate format request form you are agreeing to the following:
- You will purchase a copy of the textbook from the bookstore or another vendor.
- You will use the alternate format materials for personal use only.
- You understand that there is a two week wait for receiving alternate format materials, but ODR will work as quickly as possible.
What are Alternate Format Services?
Many students encounter barriers with traditional print materials. Textbooks, class handouts, and other materials may not be usable in the original form. In order to assist students an alternate format accommodation may be necessary. Textbooks may be provided in electronic, audio, combination of electronic / audio, and occasionally Braille. Use the helpful information below to request alternate format services.
Requesting Alternate Format Services
- Fully Complete Accommodations Form:Completing your accommodations form will indicate to our staff your desire to use your approved accommodations for the particular semester or summer course.
Submit Alternate Format Request: Submitting your alternate format request form as soon as possible makes it more likely that you will receive your materials at the start of your course. This information should be completed the moment that your course materials are posted by your Professor. To see if your materials have been submitted you are encouraged to check or consult the following:
- Longwood Barnes & Noble website
- Email your Professor
- Ask for Help: If your course materials have not been made available 2 weeks prior to the start of the course then please immediately reach out to the Office of Disability Resources via email at email@example.com. The Program Coordinator will reach out to your instructor to assist with identifying your course materials so that your alternate format request can be completed.
Once Request is Submitted
- Disability Resources will first work to secure your materials via one of our approved vendors
- Learning Ally (student will have primary access, through University's membership)
- Access Text
- If your materials are not available via one of our approved vendors then we will manually convert them here in the office. This will require us to reach out to you for a hard copy of the course materials.
Throughout this process the Program Coordinator will provide you updates via email regarding the timeline for conversion
Things to Remember
- It takes a maximum of 10 business days to receive converted materials. Our staff will make an effort to get materials to you sooner, but 10 business daysis the maximum for receiving materials.
- ODR will first convert only the required course materials and readings. If needed we can convert and provide the remaining materials at a date specified by ODR staff.
- Even if you receive your textbooks in an alternate format you are still required to purchase the hard copy of the textbook.