Text Size Print
Leadership & Involvement
Student Organization Advisement Overview
All student organizations must register with student activities and involvement and abide by all university policies and procedures. However additional support and benefits will be provided for student organizations with missions that align with the Office of Diversity & Inclusion (ODI). As an organization supported by the Office of Diversity & Inclusion you will receive:
- 1. If needed, assistance locating and solidifying an advisor who actively aligns with the mission and intent of your organization.
- 2. Additional advisement and support from the Director for the Office of Diversity & Inclusion
- 3. Additional advisor training around areas specific to working with students from various social identities and historically underrepresented populations and backgrounds.
- 4. Additional financial support and resources for organizational programs and activities around diversity and inclusion.
- 5. Trainings and leadership experiences specific to organizations that traditionally attract students from underrepresented populations.
- 6. Support for travel to national conferences and workshops specific to organizational missions and objectives.
- 7. Opportunities to collaborate directly with student organizations with similar interests or objectives.
Organizations will be expected to:
- Nominate a member to attend town hall meetings held by the Student Diversity & Inclusion Council (SDIC)
- Attend training and leadership development workshops sponsored by the Office of Diversity & Inclusion
- Abide by all university policies and procedures
- Inform ODI of all programs and activities
- Forward a copy of the organizational programming calendar
- Meet monthly with the Director for the Office of Diversity & Inclusion (President or Vice-President)
- Communicate with university advisor weekly
- Provide a roster of all active members and their most recent contact information
- Participate in programs and activities sponsored by the Student Diversity and Inclusion Council or the Office of Diversity & Inclusion
Advisors will be expected to:
- Attend monthly ODI Advisor Roundtables
- Communicate organizational issues and or concerns to the Director for the Office of Diversity & Inclusion.
- Actively engage and involve themselves in organizational programs and activities
- Provide consistent guidance to the members and leadership of the organization
- Attend advisor trainings and or workshops every semester
Please contact the Office of Diversity & Inclusion (434) 395-2394 or firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your organizations involvement or to ask additional questions.