Text Size Print
The graduate English program is currently under review and is not accepting any applications at this time.
The Department of English and Modern Languages offers programs leading to the degree of Master of Arts in English with the following concentrations:
- Graduate of a four-year regionally accredited college or university.
- A minimum, overall undergraduate GPA of 3.00 (on a 4.0 scale depending on program) OR a minimum mean score on 2 out of 3 parts (verbal, quantitative, analytical writing) of the General GRE test OR a GPA of 3.5 on 6 hours of Longwood graduate courses that are part of the degree program to which the applicant is applying taken as a non-degree registrant within the last 12 months. Applicants to the English/Creative Writing concentration must have an overall undergraduate GPA of 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale).
- 500 word or more personal essay in which you discuss your reasons for seeking graduate education.
- Two recommendations related to your competence and effectiveness in your academic and professional work.
- Passing Praxis I scores OR equivalent SAT or ACT scores OR passing VCLA scores plus Praxis I or SAT or ACT passing math score, if applying to one of the initial teaching licensure concentrations.