Text Size Print
The Department of English and Modern Languages offers programs leading to the degree of Master of Arts in English with the following concentrations:
- Creative Writing
- Education and Writing
- 6-12 Initial Teaching Licensure We are not taking applications for this program because we are in the process of discontinuing it.
- Graduate of a four-year regionally accredited college or university.
- A minimum, overall undergraduate GPA of 3.00 (on a 4.0 scale depending on program) OR a minimum mean score on 2 out of 3 parts (verbal, quantitative, analytical writing) of the General GRE test OR a GPA of 3.5 on 6 hours of Longwood graduate courses that are part of the degree program to which the applicant is applying taken as a non-degree registrant within the last 12 months. Applicants to the English/Creative Writing concentration must have an overall undergraduate GPA of 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale).
- 500 word or more personal essay in which you discuss your reasons for seeking graduate education.
- Two recommendations related to your competence and effectiveness in your academic and professional work.
- Passing Praxis I scores OR equivalent SAT or ACT scores OR passing VCLA scores plus Praxis I or SAT or ACT passing math score, if applying to one of the initial teaching licensure concentrations.