Text Size Default Text SizeDefault Text Size Large Text SizeLarge Text Size Largest Text SizeLargest Text Size Print Print this Page


Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) grant

Who is eligible for the Federal TEACH Grant at Longwood?

TEACH Grant is available to graduate students in certain programs of study. The Federal Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant program is the first federal grant program that requires a service agreement and has the potential of converting to a loan. To review the basic eligibility criteria, please read the following information below.


Potential Funds available through the Federal TEACH Grant

The Federal TEACH Grant allows up to $4,000 per year available for full-time graduate students. Students who also enroll in the summer term may also be eligible for up to $2,000 in additional aid. Amounts are prorated according to enrollment levels per term. The total amount of TEACH Grant a graduate student may receive is $8,000.

These funds can only be used for the student's first graduate degree.

Student Reading

Service Agreement

In exchange for receiving a Federal TEACH Grant, you must agree to serve as a full-time teacher in a high-need field in a school that serves low-income students (see below for more information on high-need fields and schools serving low-income students). A recipient of a Federal TEACH Grant must teach for at least four years within eight years of completing the program of study for which the Federal TEACH Grant was received.

IMPORTANT: If you fail to complete this service obligation, the U.S. Department of Education will convert all Federal TEACH Grants funds that you received to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. You must then repay this loan to the U.S. Department of Education. You will be charged interest from the date the grant(s) disbursed.



Student Eligibility Requirements for Federal TEACH Grant

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), although you do not have to demonstrate financial need
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Be enrolled in an eligible program
  • Be enrolled as a graduate student in a Federal TEACH Grant eligible program.
  • Be enrolled in coursework that is necessary to begin a career in teaching or plan to complete such coursework
  • Meet certain academic achievement requirements (generally, scoring above the 75th percentile on a college admissions test or maintaining a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25)
  • Sign a Federal TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve (ATS)
  • High Needs Fields
    • Mathematics
    • Science 
    • Foreign Language
    • Bilingual Education and English Language Acquisition
    • Special Education
    • Reading Specialist


TEACH Eligible Programs at Longwood:

Master of Science-Education

Curriculum & Instruction Specialist/Algebra & Middle School Mathematics

Curriculum & Instruction Specialist/Elementary & Middle School Mathematics

Curriculum & Instruction Specialist/Spanish

Curriculum & Instruction Specialist/Special Education General Curriculum

Reading, Literacy & Learning

Spanish or ESL PreK-12 Initial Licensure

Special Education General Curriculum K-12 Initial Licensure.


What to do if you believe you qualify and are interested in the Federal TEACH Grant

Email the Financial Aid Office and ask for a review of your academic record and the minimum requirements listed above. If you meet these requirements, you will receive an invitation to participate in required grant counseling which will explain the commitment you are entering by accepting this grant. You will then be required to sign an "Agreement to Serve" contract with the federal government before the funds are disbursed to your account.