Longwood University partners with New College Institute (NCI), a state-funded education institute in Martinsville, to allow our students to earn their degrees through Longwood, while attending most of their courses at NCI and online. This allows our students to remain close to home and benefit from smaller class sizes, while still gaining access to all of Longwood's resources. 

Most of our students attending NCI do receive financial aid to help pay for their college degree.

Frequently Asked Questions

There are several things that you need to know to help make the financial aid process easier and less confusing for you. To that end, we have complied a list of frequently asked questions to help you in this process. Please read through this list below and as always, we are here to help if you have further questions. Feel free to contact our office at 434-395-2077 or finaid@longwood.edu.

How do I get financial aid?

Students wishing to apply for financial aid at Longwood must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year to receive consideration for any financial aid from the University. Once you file the FAFSA and are accepted to Longwood, we will contact you via your Longwood email account with additional instructions about accepting your financial aid award.

Some of the courses I need are not offered at the New College Institute or online through Longwood. How can I get aid for classes I have to take at another institution?

If you need to take classes elsewhere that are required for your degree and not offered at Longwood, the Office of Financial Aid (OFA) can process what is called a Consortium Agreement (CA) to be able to include costs at other institutions into your Longwood financial aid budget.

Here’s how to obtain a CA:

  1. Request a Consortium Agreement form from either the Longwood Director of the New College Institute or the Longwood OFA.
  2. Fill out Part A of the form.
  3. Give the form to the Director to complete Part B. Make sure the classes you are taking are needed for graduation, if not, the Director will be unable to certify them as such and the OFA will not be able to include their costs in your financial aid package.
  4. Forward the CA to the institution where you are taking the required courses, called the host institution.
  5. The host institution will need to complete section C of the CA and then forward the CA to the OFA at Longwood.
  6. Once the OFA receives the form, the financial aid will be changed accordingly and the student notified via Longwood email.

Note: Students taking classes elsewhere are required to arrange payment with their host institution. Longwood will pay financial aid directly to the student, NOT to the host institution. Please be aware the host institutions have their own policies with regards to CAs and payments.

What must I do if I decide to withdraw/drop the class(es) that I had a CA for?

Notify the OFA at Longwood of your decision to withdraw/drop your course so we can make the appropriate changes to your financial aid.

Is there a certain number of credits I have to take to receive aid?

Yes, as an undergraduate you must be taking a minimum of 6 credit hours to be considered a half time student and to be eligible to receive federal direct loans as well as most grants and scholarships. To be considered a full time student you must be taking a minimum of 12 credit hours. Pell Grant recipients are sometimes able to receive Pell funds for less than 6 credit hours.

Will I still be considered full-time if not all my classes are at NCI or through Longwood Online?

As long as the appropriate CA has been filled out and each class you are taking counts towards your degree, the credit hours will be added together and your status determined based on the final number.

For example: A student  may betaking 6 credit hours at NCI, a 3 credit hour Longwood online course, and a 3 credit hour course at a community college with a valid CA. 6+3+3=12 credit hours, so the student is classified as full time.

Contact Us

Financial Aid Contact

Sharon Drinkard
Systems Manager
Office of Financial Aid
Longwood University
201 High Street
Farmville, VA 23909

Tel: 434-395-2209
Fax: 434-395-2829
Email: drinkardsf@longwood.edu

NCI Contact

Dr. Pamela P. Randall
Faculty and Program Director, NCI
College of Graduate and Professional Studies
30 Franklin Street,
Martinsville, VA 24112

Tel: 276-403-5626
Cell: 276-734-2795
Fax: 276-403-5617
Email: randallpp@longwood.edu