The Office of Financial Aid understands that parents are an integral part of the student's financial aid process. To assist you in navigating through this process, we have created a list of most often asked questions and the answers (FAQ). If you have other questions, please feel free to contact our office at or 1.800.281.4677.

Where can I learn more about financial aid?

Download our Financial Aid Overview (PDF).

Why can't I access my child's financial aid information or discuss it with a staff member?

Please remember that most student education information is protected by the Federal Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). If a student wants a parent, or someone else, to discuss their financial aid or other education information with a financial aid staff member, the student must complete and return an Information Release Consent Form. This has to be completed in the Registrar's Office.

The staff in the Office of Financial Aid is committed to our students' right to have their identity protected. For this purpose, we will now ask students for a picture ID, the last four digits of their Social Security Number, and their date of birth before discussing or releasing any personal financial aid information to them. We will expect anyone else who has questions regarding a student's personal financial aid information, and is listed on the student's release of information form, to be able to provide this same information.

How is financial aid information communicated?

All correspondence is sent to the student's Longwood e-mail address. Students should check this email account on a regular basis.

Can I receive the same financial aid emails as my child?

Yes. Students can have general emails from the Office of Financial Aid forwarded to their parents' or some other email address. Forward Financial Aid Emails (PDF)

What is a Parent PLUS Loan and how can I apply?

Parent PLUS Loans are loans taken out in a parent's name, to help offset the remaining balance of aid needed for an academic year, up to the cost of education. Only parents may apply for this loan.

Visit our Loans Page for more information: Parent (PLUS) Loan for Undergraduate Students.

What Are My Options If I Am Declined the PLUS loan?

You may either obtain an Endorser, or you may choose to document extenuating circumstances relating to the reason you were declined.

Contact the school's financial aid office as soon as possible to let them know whether you plan to pursue a Direct PLUS Loan by obtaining an Endorser or submitting documentation of extenuating circumstances. If you decide not to pursue a Direct PLUS Loan, the school's financial aid administrator may be able to provide information concerning other options to assist you with paying for your or the student's education.

Obtain an Endorser

An Endorser is someone who does not have an adverse credit history and agrees to repay the loan if you do not repay it. If you are a parent borrower, the Endorser may not be the student on whose behalf you are requesting the Direct PLUS Loan.

How to Complete an Electronic Endorser Addendum (pdf)

If you choose to obtain an Endorser, the Endorser may complete the Endorser Addendum on our secure Website.

  • If you completed a Direct PLUS Loan Request, the Endorser code may be found in the confirmation email you received or may be found by logging in to
  • If you did not complete a Direct PLUS Loan Request, the Loan/Award Identification Number may be obtained from the school.
  • If the Endorser does not have an FSA ID, they may obtain one by visiting the FSA ID Website.

Document Extenuating Circumstances

Document to the satisfaction of the U.S. Department of Education that the information causing the adverse credit decision is incorrect or has been corrected. OR There are extenuating circumstances relating to the adverse credit history. (Note: Endorsers aren't eligible for this option.)

If you believe there are extenuating circumstances related to the adverse credit information that should be considered in evaluating your eligibility for a Direct PLUS Loan, you may begin the process in one of two ways:

  • Log in to and select "Document Extenuating Circumstances"  


  • Contact Applicant Services between 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Eastern Time, Monday - Friday, at 1-800-557-7394

How will we know what financial aid my child is being offered?

New students are sent a financial aid award letter via the U.S. Postal Service by the last week in March.

Returning students are awarded by the end of May and those awards are posted to the student's myLongwood portal.

Students are notified by their Longwood email when financial aid awards have been offered. Parents may access this information with the student.

The student must take action (accept or decline) on each award offered.

Why was my child offered more than the amount to cover tuition and board?

The aid awarded may be more than the actual bill.

After review of student eligibility, most students will be offered enough financial aid (through Grants, Scholarships, and Loans) to cover the student's bill, and may provide assistance for books, supplies, transportation, computer and personal expenses.

Work/Study award is NOT credited to the billing statement. A student is paid by check for time worked per month.

What is Expected Family Contribution (EFC)?

This figure is calculated by the Federal Processing Center when you file the FAFSA. It is used by the Office of Financial Aid to help determine what types and amounts of aid to offer.

It is NOT the amount you are expected to pay the University.

What is verification? How will we know if my child has been selected?

If selected for the verification process, any aid will be an award estimate until all verification documents have been received and reviewed by the Office of Financial Aid.

The student will be notified by his/her Longwood e-mail when these documents (Verification Worksheet and Tax Return Transcripts) are required. 

Why was my child's financial aid amount reduced?

The initial financial aid award is based on full-time enrollment during both semesters of the academic year.


  • Undergraduate students must be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours
  • Graduate students must be enrolled in at least 9 credit hours

Less than full-time enrollment may result in a reduction in one or more financial aid awards.  Should you take less than the minimum credit hours to be considered full-time, your award will be adjusted.

You must be at least half-time to receive federal aid.

Pell grant recipients may be eligible for the Pell grant with less than 6 credit hours of enrollment.


  • Undergraduate students must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours 
  • Graduate students must be enrolled in at least 5 credit hours

Why is my child not being awarded any aid? How can I fix this?

No aid is awarded to students who are not meeting the financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards as required by Federal regulations. (This includes parent loans.) Private loans may be available, but the student must have a credit-worthy cosigner.

How can we use loan funds to purchase a computer for my child?

The cost of the computer is included in the student's financial aid budget. The student must actually purchase the computer from their provider and would then be reimbursed with financial aid, provided they have secured enough funds through the award process to receive a refund.

For billing information, please visit Cashiering & Student Accounts.