Federal Pell Grant

When you file a FAFSA, you are automatically applying for a Federal Pell Grant. Pell Grants do not have to be repaid. They are awarded only to eligible undergraduate students who have not already earned a bachelor's or professional degree. Pell Grant award amounts depend on federal funding. How much you get will depend not only on your expected family contribution, but on your cost of attendance, whether you are a full-time or part-time student, and whether you attend school for a full academic year or less. If students are eligible for Pell Grant funding for summer school, we are obligated by federal regulations to automatically make those awards regardless of whether or not you follow our application process. The Federal Pell grant is limited to 12 full time semesters or its equivalent.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

FSEOGs are grants for undergraduates with exceptional financial need as evidenced by the FAFSA results. Pell Grant recipients with the lowest expected family contributions will be the first students to receive FSEOGs, which do not have to be repaid. Annual award amounts will depend on our applicants' aggregate financial need and federal funding.

Virginia Commonwealth Award

This is the Commonwealth's largest financial aid program and provides grants up to the cost of full tuition and mandatory fees (not room and board) for students attending public colleges and universities. The Commonwealth Award is available to undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need as a result of filing a FAFSA. Longwood also has a small allocation of funds for graduate students. Awards may range from $200 to full tuition and fees.

Virginia Guaranteed Assistance Program

This program was created from a joint effort between the Virginia Department of Education and the State Council of Higher Education to 1) decrease the dropout rate of students in grades six through twelve, 2) increase the graduation rates of financially needy students, 3) provide financial assistance to program participants for the cost of attending a public institution of higher education. This grant is awarded to first-time freshmen who demonstrated academic achievement in high school and meet our FAFSA priority filing date of March 1. Awards will range up to full tuition, mandatory fees, and books.

*Please contact our office if you are a transfer student to Longwood, received VGAP at your prior institution, and would like to be considered for VGAP at Longwood.

Virginia Two-Year College Transfer Grant

In order to receive the Virginia two-year college transfer grant the student must have received an Associate degree at a Virginia 2-year public institution of higher education, have enrolled in a Virginia 4-year public or private higher education institution by the fall following completion of Associate degree program, EFC not greater than $8,000, at least a 3.0 GPA in Associate degree program and maintain a 3.0 in 4-year school. Students may receive $1000.00-$2000.00, depending on their major. The grant is limited to three years or 70 credit hours.

Applications must go through the financial aid office of the four-year institution. To apply you will need to first submit your FASFA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and then send to the financial aid office of your four-year institution, your community college transcript. Upon graduation, you will be required to submit a final academic transcript showing an Associate degree awarded. If you are graduating with your Associate degree this semester and want to ensure receipt of the CTG award, you will need to move quickly to submit the above as well as a FINAL academic transcript showing an associate degree awarded.

The Virginia four-year college or university to which you have applied will then notify the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) of those students who meet the following additional CTG eligibility criteria:

  • Virginia residency; 
  • compliant with federal Selective Service requirements; 
  • enrolled full-time as an undergraduate student at a participating Virginia four-year college or university by the fall following completion of the Associate's degree;
  • not enrolled into a degree program for religious training or theological education;
  • applied for financial aid using the FAFSA; and,
  • demonstrated financial need by having an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of no more than $8000

Once confirmed, CTG awards for eligible students will be processed by SCHEV and forwarded to the four-year institution's financial aid department. In most instances, final eligibility will not be established until 45-60 days into the semester. Note that state law requires that eligibility for state need-based grants may be adjusted due to the CTG award.

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) grant

Who is eligible for the Federal TEACH Grant at Longwood?

TEACH Grant is available to graduate students in certain programs of study. The Federal Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant program is the first federal grant program that requires a service agreement and has the potential of converting to a loan. To review the basic eligibility criteria, please read the following information below. 

Potential Funds available through the Federal TEACH Grant

The Federal TEACH Grant allows up to $4,000 per year available for full-time graduate students. Students who also enroll in the summer term may also be eligible for up to $2,000 in additional aid. Amounts are prorated according to enrollment levels per term. The total amount of TEACH Grant a graduate student may receive is $8,000. 

These funds can only be used for the student's first graduate degree.

Service Agreement

In exchange for receiving a Federal TEACH Grant, you must agree to serve as a full-time teacher in a high-need field in a school that serves low-income students (see below for more information on high-need fields and schools serving low-income students). A recipient of a Federal TEACH Grant must teach for at least four years within eight years of completing the program of study for which the Federal TEACH Grant was received. 

IMPORTANT: If you fail to complete this service obligation, the U.S. Department of Education will convert all Federal TEACH Grants funds that you received to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. You must then repay this loan to the U.S. Department of Education. You will be charged interest from the date the grant(s) disbursed.

Student Eligibility Requirements for Federal TEACH Grant

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), although you do not have to demonstrate financial need
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Be enrolled in an eligible program
  • Be enrolled as a graduate student in a Federal TEACH Grant eligible program.
  • Be enrolled in coursework that is necessary to begin a career in teaching or plan to complete such coursework
  • Meet certain academic achievement requirements (generally, scoring above the 75th percentile on a college admissions test or maintaining a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25)
  • Sign a Federal TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve (ATS)
  • High Needs Fields
    • Mathematics
    • Science 
    • Foreign Language
    • Bilingual Education and English Language Acquisition
    • Special Education
    • Reading Specialist

TEACH Eligible Programs at Longwood:

Master of Science-Education

  • Curriculum & Instruction Specialist/Algebra & Middle School Mathematics
  • Curriculum & Instruction Specialist/Elementary & Middle School Mathematics
  • Curriculum & Instruction Specialist/Spanish
  • Curriculum & Instruction Specialist/Special Education General Curriculum
  • Reading, Literacy & Learning
  • Spanish or ESL PreK-12 Initial Licensure
  • Special Education General Curriculum K-12 Initial Licensure.  

What to do if you believe you qualify and are interested in the Federal TEACH Grant

Email the Financial Aid Office and ask for a review of your academic record and the minimum requirements listed above. If you meet these requirements, you will receive an invitation to participate in required grant counseling which will explain the commitment you are entering by accepting this grant. You will then be required to sign an "Agreement to Serve" contract with the federal government before the funds are disbursed to your account.