Text Size Default Text SizeDefault Text Size Large Text SizeLarge Text Size Largest Text SizeLargest Text Size Print Print this Page

International Students

Student Diversity

The University welcomes applications from prospective international students.

Our programs are primarily designed for the individual who is employed full-time and wishes to enroll in graduate studies on a part-time basis.  Full-time enrollment at the graduate level is nine (9) credit hours per semester and is required for international students studying on an F-1 or J visa.  The University does not provide any type of housing for graduate students.

Several of our programs can guarantee full-time enrollment - Communication Sciences & Disorders; the Education major concentrations in Health & Physical Education and Special Education; and Reading, Literacy & Learning. Careful planning in individual programs could provide full-time enrollment in individual semesters, but it cannot be guaranteed.  In addition, we offer an online, full-time MBA with concentrations in General Business and Real Estate.  This MBA program requires a summer campus-based weekend residency every summer while enrolled in the degree program.    

In order to qualify for admittance, a graduate international applicant must have the equivalent of a four-year baccalaureate degree. The academic record must be evaluated by a credential evaluation service to determine its equivalency to a U.S. baccalaureate degree. There are several companies that provide this service:  AACRAO International Education Services (www.aacrao.org) and World Education Services, Inc. (www.wes.org) are two examples, there are others. 

Minimum requirements for our full-time programs: 

  • Communication Sciences & Disorders - a minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale is required and completion of the CSDCAS application. Visit the CSD Admissions page for complete information.
  • Education/Health & Physical Education - a minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least a 2.75 on a 4.0 scale and a valid Virginia teaching license or equivalent from another state or country or a review of the relevant teaching experience documents are required.
  • Education/Special Education - a minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least a 2.75 on a 4.0 scale and a valid Virginia teaching license or equivalent from another state or country or a review of the relevant teaching experience documents are required. 
  • Reading, Literacy and Learning - a minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least a 2.75 on a 4.0 scale and a valid Virginia teaching license or equivalent from another state or country or a review of the relevant teaching experience documents are required.

All international applicants must demonstrate proficiency in the English language through the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or International English Language Testing system (IELTS) if English is not the primary language spoken in the household. A minimum score of 570 (paper test)  or 80 (Internet test) is required on the TOEFL or a minimum 6.5 on the IELTS for admission.  Applicants who have not taken the TOEFL or IELTS may receive a conditional admission pending the completion of the final level in the Longwood University ESLP (English as a Second Language Program), a non-credit program with four levels, and an official proctored final exam.  Applicants must have completed the graduate admission process and be academically qualified for one of our graduate programs to be offered the ESLP option. When a conditionally admitted student completes the ESLP program, a second letter of admission is provided stating that the condition has been removed.

It is important to note that international students are permitted to study in the U.S. by applying for a student visa.  The Office of International Affairs issues the forms for all student visas and the forms for the ESL visa are different from the standard graduate or undergraduate visa forms.  A student will not be able to begin graduate study in the U.S. until the visa record is changed in the national database and the student receives an updated visa form.

To allow time for credential evaluation and unexpected delays in international mail, international applicants should mail the Application for Graduate Admission along with all other required materials at least six months before planning to enroll.  For the application forms and complete procedures, please visit our How to Apply webpage in the Admissions section.


Medical services in the United States are not nationalized. Costs for doctor's services and hospitals may be more expensive than in your home country. Longwood requires that you subscribe to a health insurance plan before arriving. That policy must provide similar coverage in the U.S.

Every graduate student must have a health record on file. This record includes immunizations for Measles, German Measles, Rubella, Polio, Diphtheria, Mumps, Tetanus, and a Tuberculosis skin test (PPD) within the past year, which are required by Virginia law. Students may not be able to register for classes without complying with these immunizations. A chest x-ray may also be required for tuberculosis screening.

For additional information regarding health insurance or immunization requirements contact: Student Health Services, Longwood University, Farmville, Virginia 23909, U.S.A. or e-mail: studenthealth@longwood.edu.


International applicants must certify sufficient financial resources in order to be issued a visa to attend Longwood. The student visa must be issued prior to enrollment. A foreign national must provide an affidavit that shows that he/she has enough money to pay for the number of years required to complete the master's degree. The affidavit must be signed by the student and parent (if applicable) and be notarized by a bank official. Longwood does not provide financial aid for international students.


The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has authorized Longwood to issue visa documents appropriate for the F-1 non-immigration student status.

Following receipt of all application materials to a full-time degree-seeking program, the Graduate Admissions Office will forward the applicant file to the appropriate program admissions committee for review.  Each program's admission committee reviews applications once monthly beginning around the middle of the month.  If the applicant meets all financial qualifications and is offered admission by the program, a formal letter of acceptance will be sent. The student must then pay the deposit ($100.00) indicating their intent to enroll. A Certificate of Eligibility (I-20) is issued to the student who has shown intent to enroll. The Certificate of Eligibility must be presented to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate along with a passport, the Longwood acceptance letter, and other information requested by the embassy.

Most students who enter the U.S. use an F-1 visa. The J-1 visa is appropriate for exchange students receiving a significant portion of their financial support from a government agency of their country, international foundation, or other educational sponsors. Students in the U.S. on F-1 or J-1 status must maintain a schedule of full-time study during the fall and spring semesters, and must report to the institution that issued the Certificate of Eligibility. Transfer from one college/university to another requires authorization from the new college/university. A prospective international student must have a current, valid, and legal non-immigration status before he/she can be offered final admission to Longwood. Do not plan to enter the U.S. on the tourist B-2 visa if you wish to pursue a full course of academic study. Transfer from the B-2 to the F-1 is very difficult, unless the B-2 is stamped "Prospective Student."

All non-immigrant visas carry restrictions about employment and the length of stay in the U.S. Read the Certificate of Eligibility carefully. You must be willing and able to abide by regulations for your visa status. The Graduate Admissions Office is informed on ICE policies; however, the student has ultimate responsibility to follow new policies and to maintain valid status.