Text Size Default Text SizeDefault Text Size Large Text SizeLarge Text Size Largest Text SizeLargest Text Size Print Print this Page


Please note that registration deadlines and Add/Drop/Withdrawal policies vary with the type and location of the course.

Students are responsible for knowing University policies and procedures which are explained in the Graduate Catalog, available online at any time.  Add/drop/withdrawal deadlines and policies are listed on the official Class Schedule on each individual course or in the Graduate Catalog.


Add-Drop of On-Campus, Off-Campus, Online Courses

All courses have a publicized add-drop period at the beginning of each term during which courses may be added or dropped without academic or financial penalty. Visit the Registrar's Office website, www.longwood.edu/registrar/, and select 'Policies and Regulations' from their menu.  There are NO automatic drops for non-attendance or failure to login to an online course. Students must add or drop a course by using the myLongwood system or by submitting a request to the Registrar during the add-drop period.  After the add-drop period, withdrawal is the only option to exit a course and there are no refunds of tuition & fees. Payment is due at the time of registration.



Withdrawal From An Individual Course

To withdraw by the 35th day of class for on-campus or before the mid-point of class for off-campus, online, intersession or summer classes, complete the Course Withdrawal Form available on the Registration Office website, www.longwood.edu/registrar, under FORMS.  Once completed, the forms are submitted via regular mail to Registrar's Office, Longwood University, 201 High Street, Farmville, VA 23909 OR via fax to 434.395.2252 (It is your responsibility to confirm receipt of all faxed and/or e-mailed items by calling 434.395.2580) OR via e-mail, if you have the capability to scan the signed/completed forms and attach them to the e-mail, to registrar@longwood.edu, OR in person in the Registrar's Office, Barlow Hall. 

After the mid-point of the term, withdrawal may only be for medical or other non-academic emergencies and requires a written request with supporting documentation to the Dean of the College of Graduate and Professional Studies. Written requests and supporting documentation must be received no later than noon of the last class day.  If the Dean approves the request, the Dean will send a copy of the approval to the Registrar's Office and the affected grade(s) for that semester will be noted as "W" on the academic transcript.  There is no refund of tuition or fees for withdrawals. 

Withdrawal From The University

To withdraw from the University, submit a signed/dated written request (letter format) to the College of Graduate & Professional Studies.  Please include a brief explanation of the reason for your withdrawal.  In order to avoid financial responsibility, the withdrawal must be received prior to the beginning of a semester.