History at Longwood
Our Greek history started on October 23, 1887 with the founding of Kappa Delta sorority, then came Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority on April 20, 1898, Zeta Tau Alpha sorority followed on October 15, 1898, and last was Alpha Sigma Alpha sorority on November 15, 1901.
The faculty and staff of the University welcomed the new organizations by immediately recognizing them, and giving them permission to utilize university grounds to conduct secret meetings and rituals. The way in which they publicly announced themselves to the university and community was always through the Virginia Normal State year book. A page was devoted to each organization where the name, founding date, current members’ names and pictures, song, motto, badge and coat of arms were presented.
Today, Longwood University has three different governing councils: College Panhellenic Council (CPC), Inter-Fraternity Council (IFC), and the Longwood National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) which all together house over twenty Greek organizations. The goal of social fraternities and sororities is to promote scholarship, philanthropy, brother/sisterhood and social activities. Each organization provides opportunities for their members to receive scholarship and grants. These are based on academic merit and chapter leadership. In addition each organization has a national and/or local philanthropy that they passionately sponsor. There are many events that our governing councils schedule to socialize in proactive non-alcoholic ways such as intramural sports, movie nights, and co-sponsoring activities on campus with other student organizations just to name a few.
Founders of the Four Alpha Chapters:
Kappa Delta Founders in 1887
Sigma Sigma Sigma Founders in 1898
Zeta Tau Alpha Founders in 1898
Alpha Sigma Alpha Founders in 1901