Text Size Default Text SizeDefault Text Size Large Text SizeLarge Text Size Largest Text SizeLargest Text Size Print Print this Page


  • The student must be enrolled at least half-time in a degree seeking undergraduate or graduate program, be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident of the U.S.
  • Summer employment requires the student to be enrolled at least half time at Longwood in the fall semester
  • To obtain Federal Work Study/FWS, students must have a demonstrated need from a computer needs analysis. Students must submit a Free Application for Student Financial Aid (FASFA) - refer to Financial Aid website for information on completing and submitting the FASFA. All FWS is awarded by the Financial Aid Office. Longwood/College Work Study/CWS is institutionally funded and demonstrated need is not necessary.
  • Both Federal and Longwood/College Work Study students must maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average to remain on the Work Study Program.
  • Students must complete an Employment Verification Form (I-9) and provide required documentation to verify employment eligibility in compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act.


International Students

Regulations Governing the Employment of Foreign Students

The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 requires that all employees hired after November 6, 1986 show proof of United States citizenship. The term "employees" refers also to all student employees including those hired under the Federal Work-Study Program. A Form I-9 is therefore required from every work-study student who has not previously worked at Longwood. When completing the I-9 it is important to note that either one tem must be produced from Group A or two items must be produced - one from Group B and one from Group C.

Non-immigrants are authorized entry into the United States temporarily for specific purposes. The document showing their admission status is the Arrival-Departure Record (Form I-94), which is usually stapled into the passport. This form normally contains the non-immigrant visa category in which the alien is admitted and an expiration date. If employment is authorized, this is also noted on the I-94.

Eligibility requirements: F-1 and J-1 students may work on campus under Longwood/College Work-Study provided:

  • they are maintaining F-1 or J-1 status,
  • they do not work more than a total of 20 hours per week while school is in session,
  • they do not displace U.S. residents
  • they are taking a full course of study, and
  • they obtain social security numbers.

Before beginning work, the form entitled "Employment Eligibility Verification," referred to as Department of Homeland Security Form I-9, must be completed. International students must also provide Visa, passport, I-94 and copy of I-20 for verification.

The I-9 must be updated each time you renew your work permission.

In general, F-1 or J-1 students who have been in the U.S. less than five years, are exempt from Social Security (FICA) taxes. Earnings are subject to applicable federal, state, and local taxes. If the student is from a treaty country (a country with which the United States has a tax treaty), Form 8233 should be completed. Students must check with the Payroll Office regarding withholding tax procedures.

Students must not assume they are eligible to work. Working improperly or without authorization is a serious violation of status. Contact the international student advisor for Longwood before beginning any on-campus employment.

It is the student's responsibility to comply with all Immigration regulations which apply to F-1 or J-1 students.


Longwood University is an equal opportunity-affirmative action employer and does not discriminate on basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, veteran status, national origin, political affiliation or sex.