Practical experience is one of the greatest assets of any professional regardless of career objectives. Supervised internship experiences provide an opportunity for students to synthesize, transfer, and apply learning gained through previous study.
The purpose of the internship is fourfold:
- To provide the students with opportunities to assess skills and competencies in leadership, supervision, administration, and consultation through practical application;
- To provide the students with opportunities to develop career enhancing skills and interests;
- To provide opportunities to field test theories, concepts, and philosophies developed through previous academic and other experiences; and
- To provide opportunities to refine career objectives in the health fitness field, utilizing both personal assessment and evaluation by the academic institution and the practicum agency.
The BS Exercise Science Internship Program is coordinated by Cathy Roy, Ph.D. She works with the students and external facilities to place, oversee and evaluate interns. The internship is a 400-hour, 8-credit course of which students must meet eligibility requirements and apply for the internship before interviewing at an internship site. The student is assigned specific tasks and responsibilities and is held responsible for his/her completion of the field experience.
Example Internship Sites
- ProSpeed Performance Center
- Henrico Hospital Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation
- Chippenham Hospital Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Martha Jefferson Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation
- Kessler Medical Rehabilitation Research Institute
- Lynchburg General Cardiac Rehabilitation
- American Family Fitness
- Total Body Fitness
- Lifetime Fitness
- Annapolis Gold's Gym
- Lifestyle Health & Fitness Center