Text Size Default Text SizeDefault Text Size Large Text SizeLarge Text Size Largest Text SizeLargest Text Size Print Print this Page

Field Experiences

Successful completion of the degree program requires practical experience, beyond the classroom.

The following progression and requirements are identified below:

Preliminary Fieldwork

All students must complete 120 hours of community work with persons who may have illnesses, disabilities, and those who may be disadvantaged or disenfranchised from the community. The recording of these hours will be the responsibility of the student and the faculty advisor. All 120 hours must be completed by the end (May) of the sophomore year.

Junior Internship

Eligibility for junior internship requires successful completion of all courses at the 100, 200, and 300 level. The student must maintain a 2.50 GPA in Therapeutic Recreation academic coursework, and a 2.25 GPA overall. The junior internship reflects a minimum 320 hour, 10-12 week placement the summer of the junior year.

Senior Internship

Eligibility for senior internship requires successful completion of all coursework in the academic curriculum. The student must maintain a 2.50 GPA in Therapeutic Recreation coursework, and a 2.25 GPA overall. The senior internship reflects a 560 hour, minimum of 14 weeks placement, to be taken during Spring semester Senior year, or summer for those students who have permission from the Program Director. Placement must be in an affiliated agency, and supervision carried out by a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS®) University and NCTRC standards will be adhered to throughout this experience.

Therapeutic Recreation program database for internship

The career center has an extensive database to assist the student in obtaining appropriate therapeutic recreation placements. Click here

Certification Examination

Upon graduation, students become eligible to sit for the national certification examination through the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC). The processes for application are the responsibility of the graduate, and the university cannot enter into the process. Application is available at www.nctrc.org.

Amy    Pool 2011