Text Size Default Text SizeDefault Text Size Large Text SizeLarge Text Size Largest Text SizeLargest Text Size Print Print this Page

Instructions for Faculty Program Leaders


Marks, Melanie B.  
Professor of Economics / Study Abroad Coordinator
Business and Economics, College of


Study Abroad Faculty Advisory Committee

Marks, Melanie B.  
Professor of Economics / Study Abroad Coordinator
Business and Economics, College of

Cantrell, Phillip A.
Assistant Professor of History
History, Political Science, and Philosophy

Edwards, Wade
Associate Professor of French
English and Modern Languages

Emerson-Stonnell, Sharon
Professor of Mathematics
Mathematics and Computer Science

Goetz, Lily A. 
Professor of Spanish
English and Modern Languages

Isaac, Steven W.  
Associate Professor of History
History, Political Science, and Philosophy

Koesler, Rena A.
Professor of Recreation
Health, Athletic Training, Recreation, and Kinesiology

Martz, Brett
Assistant Professor
English and Modern Languages]



Information for Faculty-Led Study Abroad Programs


We are pleased to welcome full-time faculty members in their second year or later to lead study abroad programs. During your first year at Longwood, we encourage you to familiarize yourself with the study abroad process as well as with campus culture to determine the best options for study abroad programs you may wish to offer.

There is no deadline for Short-Term Study Abroad Proposals. However, before publicizing your study abroad program, a Short-Term Study Abroad Program Proposal must be submitted to and approved by the Office of International Affairs. Please note that programs to countries with U.S. Department of State travel warnings will not be approved. Before submitting your proposal, and periodically while planning your program, be sure to check the Department of State website to ensure your travel destination is not under a warning.

Please review the guidelines before planning your program. There are requirements related to length of program, contact hours, and number of chaperones.

 Refer to the following budget worksheet for help in estimating the price of a study abroad program.


Faculty members who have led a study abroad program within the last 3 years may use the repeat proposal form (interactive .docx - If you try to open this form from the website, you may receive an error message. To avoid this, right click the link, click "Save Link As" and save the file as a .docx document on your computer before opening.) Please note:

  • This form is for previously approved study abroad programs.
  • A complete proposal (link above) must be submitted every 3 years.
  • If it has been 3 years or more since your last study abroad program, you cannot use the repeat proposal.


Once your short-term study abroad program proposal has been submitted and approved, the Office of International Affairs can assist in publicizing your program by assisting in the creation of a website, funding 20 (11x17) full color posters and flyers for display in our office.  Examples of posters are below.

Ireland (Microsoft Publisher file)

Thailand (pdf)

You may also use some of the following templates to begin creating your flyers:

Template 1 (.pub)

Template 2 (.pub)

Template 3 (.pub)

Template 4 (landscape) (.pub)

Template 5 (landscape) (.pub)

You must use images that are not copyrighted, unless you have permission from the owner or have purchased the images.  Some websites that provide free stock images include http://www.sxc.hu/ and Wikimedia Commons.


Every student participating in your program will have to complete the Application, Health Report, and Conditions of Participation form. It is up to the individual faculty member to decide if faculty recommendations will be required. If  you choose to require recommendations, please use the form that is linked below.  

**Please note that the Study Abroad Application Faculty Led is a new form and is not the same as the general study abroad application. Students attending faculty-led programs should complete this form instead of the previous one.

**Be sure to tell students that faculty recommendation forms should be submited DIRECTLY to the faculty leader of their study abroad program, not to the Office of International Affairs.

  • Study Abroad Application FACULTY LED- (interactive .docx - If you try to open this form from the website, you may receive an error message. To avoid this, right click the link, click "Save Link As" and save the file as a .docx document on your computer before opening.) 
  • Health Report Form (interactive .docx - If you try to open this form from the website, you may receive an error message. To avoid this, right click the link, click "Save Link As" and save the file as a .docx document on your computer before opening.) 
  • Conditions of Participation Form (pdf)(parent signatures needed, even if over 18)
  • Faculty Recommendation Form (doc)

** For more information about what is due before leaving for your study abroad program, please see the Faculty Checklist for Group Study Abroad Programs



All students must attend a mandatory risk management session administered by the Office of International Affairs. Failure to attend will result in the student not being able to participate. 

Faculty members leading a study abroad program for the first time must also attend the risk management session. Faculty members who have already led study abroad programs only have to attend a risk session every 3 years.

All students are also required to purchase an international health insurance policy.  

Look over the Health Report and Release forms to see if you have any students who could present you with problems relating to travel and to interacting abroad.  If students have signed the Release form, you may send a list of your students to the Director of the Counseling Center and to the Director of Student Health.

Mandatory Insurance Coverage

Longwood students traveling on faculty-led programs are required to purchase coverage equivalent to $100,000 with no deductible. You may choose to have students purchase individual policies, or you may purchase a policy for your entire group. For more information about the Atlas Travel Medical Plan, please visit the Required Insurance page. If your program is fully guided, your tour company may provide insurance. If this is the case, please be sure you provide proof that this insurance is equivalent to the coverage provided by the Atlas plan. 


You must complete an RTA form, accompanied by an Out of Country form for your study abroad program (this must include a list of program participants).  



You will need an agency account for your program. This is where the money from student fees will be deposited.  Agency Account differ from State of Virginia accounts in that purchases do not need to be made through the eVA system and the State of Virginia purchase card cannot be used. You can be reimbursed for expenses incurred on your personal credit card from the agency account. To set-up an agency account, you will need to contact Dawn Schwartz, Financial Reporting Manager. To pay for study abroad expenses from an agency account, you will need to complete an online request form and a signatory form. Please click the links below to access these forms.

Procedures for the transferring of scholarship funds to your agency account are outlined here.

Payments from Students
In order to make payments, students should turn in a study abroad program payment slip with their payment to the office of cashiering. Once your agency account is set up, contact the office of international affairs and we will send you these payment slips to distribute to your students. Be sure to fill out the "Program" and "Program Account" lines on the form before distributing them to your students.



Please note that there are separate guidelines for using state funds. These guidelines DO NOT apply to the use of funds in agency accounts. For more information on using state funds, see the following documents.


It is important to keep in mind that revenues collected must cover all program expenses for the group. Remember there are now funds provided by the provost's office to help defray the costs of bringing a second faculty or staff member on the program (see section K). Because of changing exchange rates, and unexpected occurrences, it is recommended that you build in a price buffer. It is easier to issue refunds than to raise the price of a program later on. Use the currency converter to get a feel for the current exchange rate. Also note that there is a refund policy that allows you to establish a nonrefundable deposit. It also explains the consequences associated with a student dropping out of a program.




It is required that faculty leaders submit required documents to the Office of International Affairs by the deadlines listed in the faculty leader checklist (below).  It is also required that you register your student group with the Department of State before departure (see the STEP program). 


When uploading a spreadsheet of travelers using the group upload feature, the spreadsheet obtained from the STEP website should not be modified in any way except to enter traveler information in the designated columns. Please download the new template and enter your group information and upload this using Chrome or Internet Explorer as your browser (Firefox is not compatible with our website). This is the template that should be used to upload a group of travelers.

When attempting to enroll a group using a spreadsheet template, please review these lists of guidelines which should reduce or eliminate the errors you receive.

Click here for a pictorial overview of how to complete the STEP enrollment process.

 Students should also register themselves and indicate who information may be released to in an emergency. Listed below are also links to additional information about culture shock, disabilities, Center for Disease Control suggested vaccinations, and how to obtain a passport

 Reference the faculty checklist for group study abroad program for a list of what of is due before you leave for your study abroad program. 


Many program leaders need to be cash to pay for expenses while abroad (cabs, street vendors, etc.). This is definitely possible.

  • A few weeks before departure, program leaders will create a Banner check request and have it signed by their department head. The check will be payable to the program leader. The check can be cashed and the funds spent while abroad.
  • It is important that program leaders keep all receipts and create a log of any expenses for which receipts are unavailable (for example, noodles from a street vendor in Thailand).
  • A reconciliation of this cash advance will be part of the program leader’s budget reconciliation.
  • If cash remains at the end of the trip, the funds can be distributed to students as a refund. This can be done easily, but documentation of receipt of the funds is required. It is suggested that program leaders develop a document such as the one linked below. The exact amount can be filled out at the time reimbursements are made. Student signatures must be obtained. Program leaders will use this signed document as a receipt in the budget reconciliation.

          Receipt of Funds by Students EXAMPLE


Car rental insurance policy

  • Liability:The Commonwealth’s Risk Management Plan has worldwide application and covers faculty and staff for acts of job-related negligence (including professional malpractice). Student employees and students enrolled in internships that require their presence overseas are also covered. In the event there is a probability of a liability claim, the Longwood Office of Risk Management should be notified as soon as feasible.
  • Health and Medical Insurance:The medical insurance carried by most of the fulltime faculty, staff and students is usually applicable overseas; however, the traveler should confirm this with their individual carrier.
  • Workers’ Compensation:Insurance that covers University employees who suffer a work-related illness or injury. It provides for the full payment of medical expenses, emergency evacuation, rehabilitation treatment, and any loss of salary. At overseas locations, it is customary for the employee to pay the bill and be reimbursed by the Commonwealth upon return to the U.S.
  • Personal Property of Longwood Personnel: The University’s insurance does not cover faculty, staff, or student personal property.


Program leaders are required to develop an emergency plan that will be distributed to all participants. The plan must also be submitted to the university. A copy of the Emergency Situations Guide should also be carried by the leader for reference if needed.

Your Emergency Plan must include the following:

  • US Embassy contact information in your destinations
  • US Department of State hotline number
  • How to contact Longwood via dispatch (see risk presentation information)
  • Make sure to note that this can be called collect.
  • Make sure to provide exact number including country code which can be different for different locations.
  • Other key Longwood numbers (see risk presentation info)
  • Your cell-phone information (if relevant)
  • Hospital contact information
  • Hotel contact information
  • Emergency numbers of tour companies (if relevant)
  • Police station contact information
  • Key meeting places (and other procedures) should a student get separated from group
  • Look over the Health Report and Release forms to see if you have any students who could present you with problems relating to travel and to interacting abroad.  If students have signed the Release form, you may send a list of your students to the Director of the Counseling Center and to the Director of Student Health
  • Example Emergency Plan
  • Faculty-Led Programs Emergency Operations Handbook


Upon your return from a study abroad, you are required to submit an expenditure report that details how the money was spent for your program. This should include an itemized list and accompanying receipts. Information should include all expenditures as follows:

  • Expenditures and receipts for airline travel and other forms of transportation
  • Expenditures and receipts for housing
  • Expenditures and receipts for excursions
  • Expenditures and receipts for meals
  • Expenditures and receipts for admission fees
  • Any other uses of money

In some cases, receipts are not available (for example, from street food vendors in Thailand). During the program, faculty leaders should keep a log of these expenditures. These expenditures should be detailed in your expenditure report with an indication that receipts were not available. It is your responsibility to carefully document your expenses.

You must also give a simple accounting report of your total expenditures and your revenues from student payments (see sample report here). If surplus funds were returned to students, this should be indicated as well.

This report must be submitted to Lorie Kennon in accounting within 3 weeks of your return. It will be kept on record in the accounting office.

L. Compensation for Faculty Program Leaders and Financial Assistance for Second Chaperone

The provost's office now allocates funds for financial assistance to help defray the costs of bringing a second faculty or staff member on study abroad programs as a second chaperone. Please be aware of the following policies:

  • Compensation and financial assistance will depend on the number of students enrolled on the program. Be sure to read the footnotes on the following Excel spreadsheet carefully. Please see the revised compensation structure (.docx) for faculty program leaders. You must enter your FULL e-mail address and system password to open the spreadsheet.
  • Please be aware that the funds coming from the provost's office are state funds and therefore cannot be put into agency accounts. Faculty study abroad leaders must plan to apply these funds to hotels, tours, airline tickets, etc. and money will be wired to these companies.
  • In order to receive these funds, program leaders must submit a Banner Payment Request form using the appropriate budget code provided by Eva Philbeck.
  • Please note that there is a policy stating that these prepayments cannot be made more than 90 days in advance of the program's departure date. For more information regarding this policy, please see the following documents:

M. Incident Reports

If you experience any issues with students or other travelers on your program (conduct, mental health, injuries, etc.), please complete an incident report form as soon as possible following the incident. For your protection, and for the safety of students, we ask that you err on the side of caution and report any incident you feel may needs to be documented. The form will ask if you need assistance from the university, so be sure to give a clear indication of whether or not you need assistance. A copy of the completed form will be sent to you, Petra Visscher, Larry Robertson, and Tim Pierson via email.

INCIDENT REPORT FORM (This form is password protected)