Text Size Default Text SizeDefault Text Size Large Text SizeLarge Text Size Largest Text SizeLargest Text Size Print Print this Page

Travel & Vacation Information

Travel and University Breaks

During an academic year (August-May), the university will close for Fall Break, Winter Break, and Spring Break.

You may register to stay on campus for Fall Break and/or Spring Break – to do so you must complete the information sent to you by the Housing office (more details can be found at: The RCL Website ).

You are NOT allowed to stay on campus during Winter Break (usually a 5 or 6 week period of time).   The university is closed to students during this time.   Some international students plan to travel home during the Winter Break while others use the time to travel around the US.  

Most students take a break from studying during the summer.  If you are not registering for summer classes, you must leave the campus. 


Travel Information for Breaks

If you plan to travel outside the US at anytime during your study you need a valid travel signature.    A travel signature if provided by a SEVIS Designated School Official in the office of international affairs.  To receive a travel signature complete the form       .  Travel signatures will not be given until you provide the information on the form.

Longwood offers limited, scheduled airport pick-up at the beginning and end of each semester.   You must register in advance for this service.    The airport travel  information will be posted on the webpage and on Canvas.


SEVIS Enrollment and Departure Regulations

If you are on an F-1 student visa:

  • you may arrive up to 30 days before the start date on your I-20,
  • you must arrive by the end of the Longwood’s drop/add date (later by special permission but no later than 30 days after the start of the classes),
  • you have 60 days to depart the US when you have completed your academic program,  if you have applied and been granted OPT then you have 60 days after the end of OPT,
  • you have 15 days to depart the US if your visa is cancelled for any reason,
  • you have 5 days to depart the US if you entered the US on the F-1 visa but fail to show up at Longwood.

If you are on a J-1 student/scholar visa:

  • you may arrive up to 30 days before the start date on your DS2019,
  • you have 30 days to leave the country at the end of your program,
  • your form DS2019 will indicate whether you are subject to the 2 year residency requirement,  if you are you must return home to your own country for 2 years before returning to the US.   (Occasionally waivers to the requirement are provided.  Talk to OIA staff for details if you need information.),
  • you have 15 days to leave the country if your visa is terminated.


Airport Pick-up and Drop-off Dates

International Students are encouraged to take advantage of the free transportation to Longwood University to and from Richmond International Airport (RIC) that is provided at the beginning and end of each semester. If you wish to use this transportation, you must arrive/depart at Richmond International Airport on the scheduled arrival/departure date. Please fill out the following surveys if you wish to use our transportation:

Spring 2016 schedule:
Drop-off- Saturday, May 7, 2016 - Airport Drop-off Survey

Fall 2016 schedule:
Pick-up- August 13 & 14, 2016- Airport Pick-up Survey
Pick-up for Returning International Students- August 20, 2016- Airport Pick-up Survey
Drop-off- December 10, 2016

Do you need a ride out of Farmville during break and are unable to take the shuttle? Try these transportation services...

Virginia Airlink

Virginia Airlink provides transportation to or from Longwood, Richmond International Airport, or the bus and train stations. Book at least 12 hours in advance online or by phone. For last minute transportation, call to check for availability.

Website: http://virginiaairlink.com/shuttle/
E-mail: virginia.airlink@gmail.com
Phone: (804) 372-7433

Discounted rates for students: 
1 student           $120.00 ($160 regular rate)
2 students         $80.00 ea.
3 students         $60.00 ea.
4 or 5 students  $40.00 ea. 

Taxi Information

Pay by cash or credit card

  • Public Cab Inc.
    Phone: (804) 248-0021

Pay by cash only

  • Metro Taxicab
    Phone: (804) 353-5000
  • Yellow Cab
    Phone: (804) 222-7300

Below are some suggestions of places to look for flights, trains, and buses to get you to your destination.

  • Kayak.com - website where you can research and purchase flights and make hotel reservations
  • Greyhound Bus - bus stop in Farmville at the gas station on the corner of Third and South Street
  • Amtrak - passenger rail service