Text Size Default Text SizeDefault Text Size Large Text SizeLarge Text Size Largest Text SizeLargest Text Size Print Print this Page

Travel Information


International Student and Scholar Travel Information

Travel In the United States

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has the authority to set up checkpoints at airports, bus and train stations and detain individuals within 100 miles of a United States border or seacoast. International students traveling in the United States without proper travel documents have been fined and detained by CBP agents.  Remember that many large cities including New York, Washington DC, and Richmond fall within CBP's jurisdiction.  To avoid any problems with CBP, it is recommended that you bring your original I-20 or DS-2019, your passport, and visa with you when you travel outside of Farmville. 


Transportation to Richmond International Airport (RIC)

The Office of International Affairs provides free transportation from Richmond International Airport (RIC) at the beginning of each semester, and to RIC at the end of each semester.  Typically, transportation to and from RIC is provided over spring break as well.  To use this service, you must contact your DSO in advance so that your seat can be reserved.


International Travel and Return to the United States

You are responsible for ensuring that you keep your travel documents up to date.  Remember that you must keep a valid travel authorization signature from your ARO on the front page of your DS-2019.  For   J-1 visa international students and scholars, the travel validation section must be signed within six months.  You must also keep passport that is valid at least six months into the future during your tenure at Longwood.  An expired passport will prevent you from entering or reentering the United States.Before traveling internationally be sure the signature will be still be valid when you plan to return on the United States. If you need a new travel validation signature before you travel internationally, contact the Office of International Affairs preferably at least 2 days in advance to obtain the signature. It is also recommended that you carry proof of your registration status with you.  For more information please see the Travel and Re-Entry handout.