Spring 1 Session Welcome Letter
Congratulations on your acceptance to the English as a Second Language Program at Longwood University for the 2014 year! We look forward to seeing you in Virginia soon. Between now and the time you come, there are some items that you need to know. Please read this letter carefully (and review the checklist) so that your transition to the United States can go as smoothly as possible.
Housing: You can find accommodations in one of the following places, click to view:
Please provide proof of housing arrangements by January 1st. (Note that if you do not make housing arrangements before you arrive, you will need to stay in a hotel at your own expense until you find an apartment.)
- Arrival Date: If you would like Longwood University to pick you up at the airport, please arrange to arrive at Richmond International Airport (RIC) on Saturday, January 11. Please send us your flight number and arrival time in advance. For any changes or delays in your travel plans, please call +1-434-603.1074. If you arrive on a different date, you will be responsible for your own transportation to Farmville. There is no bus or train service available. A taxi from Richmond Airport to Farmville will cost at least $130, and a taxi from Washington Dulles Airport to Farmville would cost approximately $300. (Try this site for shuttle information: http://www.virginiaairlink.com.
- Appointment for your accommodations: When we arrive in Farmville, we will take you directly to the apartment you have rented beforehand (or to a local hotel, if you have not arranged for housing). Please let us know where you intend to rent an apartment, so that we can make a check-in appointment with your apartment manager. Please let us know by January 1what you have arranged ahead of time if you use our transportation from the airport to Farmville on Saturday night.
- Shopping/Orientation trip: On Sunday, January 12we will take to you a local store where you can buy anything you might need for your apartment. This trip will also include a brief orientation to the town of Farmville.
- Placement Test: In order to determine your level of English, you will need to take our placement test. The placement test for the January, Spring 1 Session is Monday, January 13 at 9:00 AM. Please arrive at the ESLP office (Stevens 116) by 8:45; bring your passport for identification. The placement test will go from 9AM to 12PM and you will have a Speaking Assessment after lunch by appointment. The first day of classes is January 14th.
- Orientation: Orientation sessions for new students will be scheduled during your first week of classes. We will cover topics such as cultural adaptation, university resources, and immigration regulations.
- Immunization Record: All students must present an immunization record completed by a doctor or healthcare provider before arrival. This form is enclosed; once it is completed, please email it to me at email@example.com. You will not be able to register for classes until you have a valid immunization record on file.
- Health Insurance: All students must have a valid medical insurance policy for the entire duration of their program at Longwood University. We recommend you purchase an insurance policy before you arrive. For more information, please visit www.internationalstudentinsurance.com/bespoke/longwood-university.php.
Please contact us if you have any questions. We look forward to seeing you in Virginia soon!