Text Size Default Text SizeDefault Text Size Large Text SizeLarge Text Size Largest Text SizeLargest Text Size Print Print this Page

Before Arriving at Longwood

Registration and Application

Question: I will be a new student, how can I register for classes?
All new students are registered during the orientation process after arrival.

Question: Are there Longwood students that I can talk to before coming to Longwood?
Yes, if you wish we can put in you in contact with an International Student Buddy, who is a current Longwood student.

Question: Why do international students have to purchase health insurance?
All F1 and J1 visas holders are required to have a valid health insurance policy while enrolled at Longwood University. Health care is very expensive in the United States, and insurance will help to cover medical expenses in case you become sick or are injured. If you willfully refuse to purchase a health insurance policy your visa may be terminated! You can purchase a health insurance policy on the International Student Health Insurance website.


Money Concerns

Question: What are the payment options for paying for my room and board and tuition?
Longwood University will accept cashier's checks and money orders in US dollars, as well as MasterCard, Discover and American Express, but does not accept Visa as a method of payment for housing costs, meal plans, etc. If you plan to use a credit card, please be advised that there will be an additional 2.7% charge. Payment information is outlined in more detail below:

1. Western Union: Students may "wire" funds to themselves, and may (personally) pick up their payments upon arrival to Farmville.

Upon arrival on campus, students may deliver "wired" payments to Longwood University's Office of Cashiering, located in Lancaster Building (Suite 201-A).

Listing of Western Union locations in Farmville, Virginia area (23901 postal code), listed in order of proximity to Longwood University campus:

     1) Food Lion, 1592 S Main St, Farmville, Virginia. 434-392-9486.
     2) Rite Aid Pharmacy, 1401 S Main St, Farmville, Virginia. 434-392-4165.
     3) Woodforest National Bank, 1800 Peery Drive (inside Wal-Mart), Farmville, Virginia. 434-315-0058 or 434-315-0283.

2. International Money Orders or Cashier's Checks: Students may obtain International Money Orders or Cashier's Checks from their financial institutions = payable to Longwood University, in US Dollars.

Upon arrival on campus, students may deliver these payments to Longwood University's Office of Cashiering, located in Lancaster Building (Suite 201-A), or, prior to arrival on campus, students may mail payments to:

Office of Cashiering
Longwood University
201 High Street
Farmville, Virginia 23901

3. Online Credit Card Payments: Students may log into myLongwood / My Student Account to access our "TouchNet / PayPath" online bill and payment system. From this system, students may elect to submit payment via any of the credit cards listed below.

Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Diners Club, JCB, China Union Pay.

Note: Students paying by credit card will be charged a non-refundable payment service fee of 2.75%.



Question: Do I need a US bank account? How would I go about getting one?
While you will likely be able to use your foreign bank card in the United States, you will probably be charged a fee for each transaction, also your foreign bank card may not be accepted by as many vendors as an American bank card. Therefore, it is generally best to set up a bank account at an American Bank when you arrive. During International Student Orientation, you will have the opportunity to set up a checking account at a local bank. To set up your account you will need to bring some US dollars to open the account and your passport. You can close the bank account before you leave the US.