Mandatory Risk Sessions & Pre-Departure Meetings
Risk sessions are an important part of preparing to study abroad. In these sessions, you will learn how to stay safe while studying abroad. We will cover topics such as safety tips while traveling, appropriate behavior and dress, safe handling of money, insurance coverage, and how to get help in case of an emergency. Students must attend the risk session the semester before departure. Students must attend a risk session each year that they choose to study abroad. For example, a student choosing to study abroad as a sophomore must repeat the risk session if participating in a second program during the junior year.
Risk session requirements:
- Risk sessions are required for ALL Longwood students planning to study abroad.
- You must attend the ENTIRE risk session. If you arrive late or leave early, your attendance will not count.
- You will be required to sign a risk management form stating that you have received and understood all information provided. Bring your Longwood ID because you will be required to provide your L#.
- If ANY of the above criteria are not met, you must pay a $75 fee to attend a make-up presentation.
- This fee will be waived only in the case of a documented emergency situation at the discretion of the Coordinator of Study Abroad.
- A payment form must be obtained from the Study Abroad office and fee paid in the Cashiering Office. A receipt for payment must be presented to International Affairs staff at the make-up session.
- Students who miss the risk session will be give only one chance to make it up. If a student fails to attend the make-up session then he or she will be prohibited from studying abroad.
- NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE TO THIS POLICY.
Students participating in faculty-led programs during Spring 2015 MUST attend one of the following risk sessions:
- Thursday, February 5 at 4:00 in Hiner 201
- Friday, February 13 at 4:00 in Hiner 201
Students participating in faculty-led programs during Summer 2015 MUST attend one of the following risk sessions: (Additional sessions will be scheduled for Summer 2015 programs.)
- Tuesday, March 31 at 4:00 in Hiner 207
- Thursday, April 2 at 4:00 in Hiner 207
Pre-departure meetings are only mandatory for students how are participating in long-term programs. The meeting is designed to help prepare you for what to expect when you are abroad.
Students who are participating in exchange/affiliated/approved non-affiliated programs during SUMMER 2015 or FALL 2015 MUST attend one of the following pre-departure meetings:
- April 22, 2015 4:00pm-6:00pm in Hiner 109
- April 23, 2015 4:00pm-6:00pm in Hiner 101