Mandatory Risk Sessions & Pre-Departure Meetings
Risk sessions are an important part of preparing to study abroad. In these sessions, you will learn how to stay safe while studying abroad. We will cover topics such as safety tips while traveling, appropriate behavior and dress, safe handling of money, insurance coverage, and how to get help in case of an emergency. Students must attend the risk session the semester before departure. Students must attend a risk session each year that they choose to study abroad. For example, a student choosing to study abroad as a sophomore must repeat the risk session if participating in a second program during the junior year.
Risk session requirements:
- Risk sessions are required for ALL Longwood students planning to study abroad on faculty-led or summer affiliate programs.
- You must attend a risk session for every faculty-led program you will be participating in. If you plan to go on more than one faculty-led program while you are at Longwood, you will have to participate in a risk session for each program you will be participating in.
- You must attend the ENTIRE risk session. If you arrive late or leave early, your attendance will not count.
- You will be required to sign a risk management form stating that you have received and understood all information provided. Bring your Longwood ID because you will be required to provide your L#.
- If ANY of the above criteria are not met, you must pay a $75 fee to attend a make-up presentation.
- This fee will be waived only in the case of a documented emergency situation at the discretion of the Coordinator of Study Abroad.
- A payment form must be obtained from the Study Abroad office and fee paid in the Cashiering Office. A receipt for payment must be presented to International Affairs staff at the make-up session.
- Students who miss the risk session will be give only one chance to make it up. If a student fails to attend the make-up session then he or she will be prohibited from studying abroad.
- NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE TO THIS POLICY.
Students participating in faculty-led or affiliate programs during Summer 2016 MUST attend one of the following risk sessions:
- Tuesday, March 15, at 4 p.m., Ruffner 116
- Tuesday, March 22, at 7:30 p.m., Stevens 118
- Wednesday, March 23, at 4 p.m., Stevens 118
Pre-departure meetings are only mandatory for students who are participating in an Exchange/Affiliated/Approved non-affiliated program. If you are studying abroad through an exchange/affiliated/approved non-affiliated program you MUST attend a Pre-departure meeting. You don't need to attend a risk session. Risk sessions are only for Faculty-led programs. The meeting is designed to help prepare you for what to expect when you are abroad.
Students who are participating in approved exchange/affiliated programs during Spring 2016 MUST attend the following pre-departure meeting:
- Monday, November 9, at 7:30 p.m., in Stevens 118