Dr. Waverly M. Cole, photographed at right, has made generous commitments to Longwood University, which include cash gifts, a substantial bequest, and a scholarship fund. Most recently, he donated an exquisite collection of Bavarian glass, Meissen figurines, and English pottery. The Cole Gallery, located in the area betwixt Ruffner and Blackwell Halls that once was affectionately called the "Old Smoker," was dedicated on April 23.
Longtime supporter Ernest Goodrich initiated the Rotunda Fund with a phone call and financial commitment the morning after the fire. He and his wife, Sue Simmons Goodrich '40, gave more than $500,000 to the University, which include three endowed scholarship funds. Before his recent death, Mr. Goodrich gave a significant gift to support the finishing touches in Ruffner Hall. On April 23 the main conference room in Ruffner was named the Simmons-Goodrich Conference Room in memory of his wife, his sister, Lillie Evelyn Goodrich '28 and his mother-in-law, Hylah Hope Camp Simmons '16. Photographed second from top are Mr. Goodrich's two daughters, Pam Palmore and Cindy Allred, and his sister-in-law, Margaret Simmons Horton.
Helen McGuire Hahn '45, pictured third from top with her husband Bill, provided the funding to establish a visitor center in the former "home office" located in the Rotunda lobby. The gift was given in memory of her mother Marjorie Combs McGuire '12, during Mrs. Hahn's 60th class reunion. The McGuire-Hahn Room will be used as a self-service visitor center for Ruffner Hall and will display Longwood memorabilia.
The fourth room dedicated was is in memory of one of Longwood University's favorite sons. Dr. Edward D. Smith lost a courageous nine-month battle with cancer in August 2003. At the time of his death, Ed Smith was the Director of Assessment and Institutional Research at Longwood and had worked for the University for over 32 years. Dr. Smith's widow, Sherry Smith, pictured fourth from top, attended the dedication ceremony. Kappa Delta's Founders' Bench has been a special part of Longwood since its dedication in 1928. The marble bench was given as a tribute to the sorority founders. Kappa Delta, Longwood's first sorority and the first sorority founded in Virginia, was organized on 23 October, 1897. Located on the lawn close to East Ruffner, the bench miraculously survived the ravages of the Great Fire. During the reconstruction of Ruffner Hall, the bench was encapsulated in sand and boarded up for protection. Photographed seated on the bench below are current Longwood Kappa Deltas and Emilie Holladay '31, daughter of Genevieve Venable Holladay '00, one of the early members of the sorority and the first Grand National President of Kappa Delta from 1900 to 1904. Emilie Holladay was at one time an adviser to the sorority and known to the chapter for her annual chapter breakfasts. Photographed below: Nicole Matthews, Stephanie Seaborn, Ashley Dow, Joni Ginda, Emilie Holladay, Sarah Robertson, Lauren Bittner and Chelsea Cunningham. - JW