Text Size Print
Declaring an Item Surplus
Procedures for Declaring an Item Surplus
PLEASE NOTE: Central Receiving has relocated to 3565 West Third St. Farmville, VA 23901. However, all campus mail for Central Receiving and Surplus Property should still be sent to 207 Lancaster Hall.
- Transfers: See the Fixed Assets site for the Interdepartmental Property Movement or Transfer Form at: Fixed Assets Procedures.
- Disposal as a result of lack of need. When an item is no longer needed by a department and no other department is known to have a need for it, the following procedure is applicable. A Surplus Property Report or Trade-In (pdf) form must be completed and submitted to Central Receiving (207 Lancaster Hall) with the item to be surplused. Item(s) will not be picked up without the completed form.
- Disposal as a result of destruction or theft: Items stolen or destroyed must be reported immediately to Campus Police. Campus Police will forward a designated copy of the report to the department and the department will forward a copy to the General Accounting Office (Lancaster 217). Stolen and destroyed items must be reported on the Surplus Property Report or Trade-In (pdf) form stating the item(s) are stolen or destroyed. This form must be signed by the head or chair of the department and sent to the General Accounting Office .
- Disposal as a result of loss: Lost items must be reported immediately and directly to Fixed Assets in the General Accounting Office (Lancaster 217). If Fixed Assets cannot locate the items within two weeks the information will be forwarded to Campus Police. Lost items must be reported on the Surplus Property Report or Trade-In (pdf) form stating the item(s) are lost.
- Disposal as a result of unusable and non-repairable condition: When this situation occurs, the department must complete a Surplus Property Report or Trade-In (pdf) form and forward it to Central Receiving (207 Lancaster Hall) with the items(s) to be disposed.
- Disposal as a result of trade-in. When a trade-in is desired, the department initiates a Surplus Property Report or Trade-In form noting the decal number, general description, account number, and the words "trade-in". The record along with the Purchase Order is sent to the Materiel Management and Fixed Asset offices. At the Director of Materiel Management's discretion, based on knowledge of the University needs, an item may be traded.