Awards and Scholarships
Named after two former faculty in the department, Dr. Blanche Badger and Mrs. Josephine Magnifico, this award honors the highest achievement for graduating seniors both in the department and at Longwood overall.
- 2013 - Jeff Anway; Chris Thatcher (Computer Science and Mathematics)
- 2012 - Luke Acree (Computer Science); Crystal Peoples (Mathematics)
- 2011 - Amanda Buckley (Computer Science); Nikole Varhegyi (Mathematics)
- 2010 - Robert Markey, Jr. (Mathematics); Kathryn Tipton (Computer Science)
- 2009 - Elizabeth Creath (Mathematics); Tyler Newell (Computer Science and Mathematics)
- 2008 - Ashley Swandby (Mathematics)
- 2007 - Brandon Taylor (Mathematics)
- 2006 - Daniel Dougherty (Computer Science); Lindsay Robson (Mathematics)
John R. Clark Education Award
This award was named after an honorary national chairman of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics who donated his honorarium back to the department after speaking here. This award goes to a senior graduating with a mathematics degree and a secondary education endorsement who has shown high academic achievement.
- 2013 - Candice Barefoot, Matt Jobrack
- 2012 - Sarah Mayfield
- 2010 - Jessica Carlson
- 2009 - Elizabeth Creath
- 2007 - Samantha Soukup
- 2006 - Kevin Strosnider
Carol Rezba Scholarship
This scholarship was established by former faculty member Carol Rezba to be given to a rising senior who shows high academic achievement and who plans to teach middle school mathematics.
- 2013 - Caitlin Bowyer
- 2012 - Julie Harris
- 2011 - Emma Coombs
- 2010 - Jessica Stott
- 2009 - Sarah White
- 2008 - Maggie Richardson
- 2007 - Katie Hampton
- 2006 - Lisa McCoy
Merry Lewis Allen Scholarship
Students must have exhibited high academic achievement to earn this scholarship. It is named after Dr. Merry Lewis Allen, who served as department chair for twenty years.
- 2013 - Deborah Bray; Nyjah Grant; Heather Wilson
- 2012 - Joseph Gills; Karen Green
- 2011 - Crystal Peoples; Ashley Wilson
- 2010 - Amanda Buckley; Zackary Stace
- 2009 - Amanda Buckley; James Gibbs; Elizabeth Smith
- 2008 - Damien Bailey; Kathryn Tipton
- 2007 - Michael Souza; Kathryn Tipton
- 2006 - Elizabeth Creath; Michael Souza
James C. Gussett Scholarship
This scholarship was established to honor the thirty-two years of service of Dr. James Gussett, Professor Emeritus of Mathematics. This scholarship is awarded to students in the department who have excelled academically.
- 2013 - Ryan Fleming-Dahl
- 2012 - Jeff Anway; Chris Thatcher
- 2011 - Chris Thatcher
- 2010 - Jeff Anway
- 2009 - Kathryn Tipton
- 2008 - Robert Markey, Jr.
- 2007 - Elizabeth Creath
- 2006 - Jon Larson
Hull Mathematics Scholarship
This scholarship was created by Dr. Duvahl Ridgway Hull, a 1933 graduate of Longwood and former Rector of the Board of Visitors, and her husband, Andrew W. Hull, a former President of the Longwood College Foundation. It is awarded to students with a mathematics major who have demonstrated exceptional academic ability, are Virginia residents, and are not a member of a social fraternity or sorority.
- 2013 - William Hollingsworth
- 2012 - William Hollingsworth
- 2011 - Jeff Anway
- 2010 - Ashley Wilson; Jessica Zlotkowski
- 2009 - Jessica Carlson; Robert Markey, Jr.
- 2008 - Hannah Tucker; Nikole Varhegyi
- 2007 - Joseph Gordon; Ashley Swandby
- 2006 - Lori Reeves; Brandon Taylor
Albert W. and Mary N. Joynes Scholarship
Established by Lynne M. Joynes, a member of the class of 1977, in memory of her parents, Albert W. and Mary N. Joynes, this scholarship is awarded to students in the department who have shown strong academic achievement.
- 2013 - Joseph Gills
- 2012 - Dominick Pastore; Heather Wilson
- 2011 - Luke Acree; William Hollingsworth
- 2010 - James Gibbs
- 2009 - Jessica Carlson; Emerson Hall
- 2008 - Elizabeth Creath
- 2007 - Sally Spangenberg
- 2006 - Scott Krough; Sally Spangenberg