Music at Longwood
Bachelor of Music in Music Education
Timeline for Obligations in Professional Education
First Two Years
1. Apply to the teacher preparation program. You need to get your name in the system right away so that you will receive important information.
2. Attend one session of the "Prelude to the Profession."
3. Get your test scores in order. You must meet one of the following qualifications:
A. Composite SAT score of 1100, with 530 or higher on both the math and verbal sections of the test
B. ACT composite score of 24, with math minimum 22, reading and English total 46 or
C. Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA) with Reading Subtest Score 235 and Writing Subtest Score 235 and
1. Praxis I Mathematics Score 178 or
2. SAT math subtest score of 530 or
3. ACT math subtest score of 22
D. Composite (reading, writing and math) Praxis I score of 532
4. Notify the coordinator of Music Education that you plan to pursue the music education program.
1. Present test scores to the Music Education Coordinator and get recommendation to move from BA in Music to BM in Music Education.
2. Take MUSC145
3. Complete the Music education interview (taken at the end of MUSC145)
Any time during the first two years:
Take EDUC260 and EDUC245
By the end of Sophomore year:
1. Be sure that you have been accepted into the Teacher Education Program
Admission requires appropriate test scores (see above); a major GPA of 2.5 or better and an overall GPA of 2.5 or better; and completion of MUSC145, EDUC260 and EDUC245.
2. The Practica are best completed during the first two years.
1. Take most 300 and 400 EDUC courses
This is necessary to avoid scheduling conflicts during your senior year.
2. Apply for student teaching
You must apply a full year before you plan to student teach.
3. Take the Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA), if you haven't already done so.
1. Take Praxis II in Music in November
Praxis II in Music is a requirement for student teaching placement.
2. Student teach. And, have a wonderful time.
Passing scores on the Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA) and Praxis II are required before student teaching placement.
During Freshman through Junior Years
Complete Music Practica - MUSC456 and 346 (These must be completed prior to the student-teaching semester.)
NOTE: In order to be admitted to and remain in the teacher education program, you must
maintain an overall GPA of at least 2.5
maintain a major (that's music) GPA of at least 2.5
have a grade of C or better in all EDUC courses and in ENGL150.
NOTE: Be sure to save a copy when you get your test scores. Your electronic record on the ETS web site will disappear after a month or so, and they will charge you big bucks to send you a copy later.
NOTE: Make every effort to meet or get ahead of these deadlines. Please remember that you do not get to be a teacher just because you have a passion to do so. You must also do the work and meet the qualifications. We promise that, if you do, you will find the pleasure in doing so. Good Luck!!
updated on 9/10/12