Drop / Withdrawal
Please note that registration deadlines and Add/Drop/Withdrawal policies vary with the type and location of the course.
Students may make schedule adjustments (adds and/or drops) for face-to-face, off-campus, online, and hybrid courses:
- until 5:00 p.m. on the sixth day of classes for fall and spring full term courses.
- until 5:00 p.m. on the third business day after the officially stipulated begin date in an abbreviated term, intersession or summer courses of at least three weeks.
- until 5:00 p.m. of the officially stipulated begin date for any courses which are less than three weeks in duration. If the first meeting time of such a course is after 3:00 p.m., then a student has until noon of the business day following the officially stipulated begin date to add/drop the course. A completed Schedule Change Form must be submitted to the Registration Office by the applicable add/drop deadline.
Please use the academic policy if your class starts and/or ends on different dates.
Students may withdraw with no academic penalty during the first half of the course, but may not withdraw during the second half of the course except for medical or other non-academic emergencies. Withdrawal during the first half must be done by submitting a completed Course Withdrawal Form to the Registration Office.
Undergraduate students seeking to withdraw from an online course during the second half of the course should contact the Dean's Office of their respective major to initiate the withdrawal process. Undeclared students and non-degree seeking undergraduate students should contact the Dean of the Cook-Cole College of Arts and Sciences.
Degree-seeking or non-degree seeking graduate students seeking to withdraw from an online course during the second half of the course should contact the Dean of the College of Graduate & Professional Studies to initiate the withdrawal process.
- Online attendance records kept automatically by Canvas will be used to determine time of attendance for financial aid refund purposes.
If a student wishes to drop or withdraw from a class and emails the Registration Office this request with the appropriate form attached, it must come from their Longwood email account. The Registration Office does not accept emails from other accounts to process.
To drop a class before the start date:
- Accepted/actively enrolled undergraduate or graduate students may sign on to the MyLongwood portal, choose the Student tab, and go through the drop procedure in the Registration section.
- Be sure to complete the entire procedure and get your confirmation.
- There are no charges for classes dropped BEFORE the published add/drop deadline for a term.
- Non-degree undergraduate or graduate students must submit a completed Schedule Change Form. Submission can be by e-mail to email@example.com if you can scan the completed document and attach it to the e-mail from your Longwood e-mail address OR
- Submission can be by fax to the Registrar's office at 434.395.2252
All students, admitted or non-degree, must take one of these three actions in order to drop a class before the published add/drop deadline.
To withdraw from a class after the add/drop deadline date and before the official withdrawal date:
Submit a completed Course Withdrawal Form via email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you can scan the completed document and attach it to the e-mail from your Longwood e-mail address OR fax to the Registrar's Office at 434.395.2252.
Charges ARE assessed for classes that are withdrawn during the withdrawal period.