I am a Freshman resident student. I want to have my car at school for a few days. What do I do? Who do I contact?

Freshman students residing on campus are restricted from having a vehicle at Longwood. In some instances, a Freshman may be granted permission to have a car however the student must have a valid reason for such a request. The Parking Services Manager will review the student's written request and will render a decision. A written permission letter will be issued to applicants with accepted situations. Most permission's are granted on a temporary basis with a specific timeframe. Parking for a Freshman with permission to have a car at school will be located at the playing fields at Lancer Park. You can contact the Parking Manager, Mrs. Rice, at this address: ricelh@longwood.edu.

I am scared to go to my vehicle alone at night or to walk back to my residence hall alone when I return to school late. Can Campus Police help me?

Each lot has an emergency phone located near the entrance. This phone rings directly into the Longwood University Police Station. Tell the Dispatcher that you would like an escort back to the campus as you are alone. Give a brief description and location of your car. Return to the vehicle and lock your doors. When the police vehicle arrives, you may exit your car. Also, the ‘ NightWalkers' Escort Service will be happy to walk with any student to locations on campus. Please note that this service is provided when possible and that the dispatcher will advise you if an escort is unavailable.

My friend from home is visiting me. How do I register their car?

If you have a guest on campus anytime Monday through Friday from 8:15am to 5:00pm, you will need to come to the Parking Services Office to obtain a visitors parking permit. You will be asked to fill out an application form that requires the name, address, and phone number of the visitor; the student host/hostess name and local address;; a description of the vehicle; the vehicle's license tag number. We will also ask for a local phone number. Visitor passes must be displayed in the vehicles while they are parked on campus. Guests of resident students will be assigned parking in the Vernon Street or Wynne Lots. If your guest arrives after hours or on weekends, please go to the Police Dispatch Center for assistance. This office is open 24 hours daily, 7 days weekly.

I parked outside of my decal zone overnight. When I returned to the vehicle the next morning, it would not start. What do I do?

If your vehicle is disabled and you are parked in the wrong area, call Longwood Police or the Parking Services Office (email us at parking@longwood.edu) immediately and inform them of your trouble. You will have 48 hours to repair or remove the vehicle from the lot. Remember to call the office each day to give a progress report!! If you do not contact us, you will not receive the grace period!

I locked the keys in my car off campus. Will Longwood Police be able to help me?

Sorry, no. If your car is at an off campus location, you are outside of our jurisdiction. Longwood Police can assist with vehicle unlocks if your car is on Longwood property, to include Lancer Park, Longwood Landings, and Longwood Village. You will be asked to sign a liability waiver releasing the officer from responsibility should the lock system be damaged. Remember he is helping you at your request! Please note that in some of the newer model cars, especially those with side impact air bags, we may decline to make an unlock attempt. In such cases you will be referred to contact AAA (if you are a member) or a locksmith.

I have a non-emergency doctor, dentist, or optometrist appointment. Will Longwood Police take me to that office?

No. All scheduled, non-emergency appointments are the responsibility of the student and likewise it is his or her responsibility to arrange transportation to them. All emergency medical transports will be referred to the Prince Edward Rescue Squad. Contact them at 434-392-6973 to receive information about their Squad Care Program!

I am the Designated Driver for my sorority. Where can I park my car while I am acting in this capacity?

If you are the Designated Driver, you must display a sign on your dashboard identifying your vehicle as such. This sign must also list the name of your organization, the date of the event you are attending, and the timeframe of the function. You may park in loading zone during the timeframe listed for the event. After the event is over, the vehicle must be returned to the appropriate decal zone. You will not be allowed to park overnight in a prohibited or reserved area, or improper decal zone. It is not recommended to loan your car to another student to perform designated driving duty.

I have been injured and am using crutches to get around campus. Can I get permission to park in the Handicap space until I mend?

If you have a disability, you will need to contact the, Director of Disability Services for a medical parking permit. Permits are only good for seven days. The phone number to call is 395-2392. Persons with permanent disabilities may apply at DMV for a handicap parking placard.

My parents are coming to visit me. Can I get a Guest Pass for them to use?

Yes. Come to the Parking Services Office to obtain a pass for your parents. Be certain you know the dates of their visit.

I need a jump start. Who do I call?

The Longwood Police will assist students with this service after the regular business day has ended. The Facilities Management Dept. will help you during business hours. Call the garage at 395-2899. Please note that Longwood Police are not mechanics and will not attempt to make any repairs to disabled vehicles nor will they change flat tires.

I am a Junior but my sister/brother is an incoming Freshman. My parents are allowing us to use a car at school. How do we register the car?

In this situation, the upperclassman student will be responsible for the vehicle. It will be registered in the upperclassman's name and all tickets will be posted to that individual. The Freshman is not to use the car unless necessity requires it.

I lost my decal. How do I get it replaced? Do I have to pay for it again?

Report the lost decal to the Parking Services office immediately. You will be able to replace the lost decal free of charge if you have your original receipt. If you do not have the original receipt, you will have to pay a $10.00 replacement fee at Cashiering and show that receipt to obtain the new permit.

I drive a soft-top Jeep and the vehicle does not have a bumper. What do I do about decal placement?

A situation like this requires special instructions. Contact the Parking Services Manager to discuss decal placement.

My car broke down while I was at home. I had to drive my parents car back to school. This car does not have a decal. I will have the car for a week. Do I have to buy a new decal?

Students may be issued one free one-week permit per semester. If the vehicle is needed for longer than one week you will need a one month temporary permit at the cost of $50.00. Special circumstances may be taken into consideration by the Parking Services Manager.

Aerial of students sitting around fountain

What violations of the Parking Regulations would result in Honor or Judicial Board Charges?

  • Furnishing a Freshman with an upperclassman decal.
  • Being a Resident Student but obtaining a Commuter decal.
  • Giving false information when registering your vehicle..
  • Being guilty of taking a decal belonging to another person and putting it on your vehicle; to include finding a lost permit and not turning it in to Police but using it as your own.
  • Moving your decal to a vehicle not registered to that permit number. (Sharing your decal with friends or putting it on another vehicle that is not registered as yours.)

Having your vehicle at school as a Freshman student without obtaining written permission from the University for this privilege.
There are other violations that could result in Honor Charges however this listing should give you an idea.

Who is allowed to park in the Brock Commons Garage?

The parking garage is for the Faculty and Staff to use Monday through Friday and whenever they need to report to work on weekends. It is also to be used by persons attending special events and activities on the campus. Students however, are restricted from parking in the garage at all times. This includes evening hours and weekends.

I live at Lancer Park and have a Lancer Park decal on my car. Can I park my car on the main campus?

Sorry, no. Lancer Park residents must keep their vehicles in the parking area at Lancer Park. It is strongly encouraged that students make use of the shuttle bus service rather than moving their cars. This service runs every ½ hour. See the schedule posted on our website. (Student athletes in Division 1 sports residing at Lancer Park are exceptions to this rule.)

Students with Lancer Park permits WILL be allowed to park in Commuter spaces at night between 6:00pm and 12:00am in order to use campus resources or attend club functions.

I am a resident student living at Longwood Landings. Where do I park?

Living at Longwood Landings is the same as living in a residence hall on the main campus. You will be assigned a resident student parking permit and will be allowed to park in any resident student parking lots. There are two lots immediately in the area of Landings, the South Lot by Putney Street; and the Virginia Street Lot at the rear of the complex. In addition, students may use the Vernon Street Lot. Please avoid parking in the retail space of Midtown Square as these spaces are not controlled by the University and towing is likely to occur.

I am a resident at Longwood Village. Where do I park?

As a resident student located at Longwood Village, you will be considered as a commuter in relation to your parking assignment on campus. You will purchase and receive a commuter decal and park in the appropriate commuter areas.

I heard from other students that you can park anywhere on weekends, is this correct?

No. Liberal parking on weekends is not allowed. Students will be required to remain in the decal zone appropriate for the decal displayed on their car. Visitors will need guest passes and will be assigned parking locations. Prohibited zones such as 10 minute loading zones, handicap spaces, 2 hour visitor spaces, etc. will continue to be enforced 24 hours a day, seven days a week as usual.

How can I contact Parking Services if I need assistance or have questions?

There are several ways to reach us:

  • Email us at: parking@longwood.edu 
  • Call us at: (434) 395-2612
  • Visit us in Lancaster Hall, 201A
  • After hours if you need assistance contact Police Dispatch: (434) 395-2091

Where can I find the on-line registration for obtaining a permit?

Go to the myLongwood site and click on the Campus Life tab. Scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see the vehicle registration section on the left side. Follow the instructions on each screen. Payments can be made by credit card using this system or you can simply reserve the permit to pay in person at Cashiering.