Initial Virginia Teaching License Requirements
Teacher candidates must be admitted to Teacher Prep in order to complete upper level education courses, Practicum II (if applicable), Partnership (if applicable), and Student Teaching.
- Overall GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Minimum grade of "C" in ENGL 150 or the transfer equivalent course
- Minimum grade of "C" in introductory education courses (see OPS website)
- Two positive faculty recommendations as determined by your program area
- Qualifying test scores (choose one)
- SAT score of 1100 with 530 or higher on both the math and reading sections
- ACT composite score of 24, math 22, reading and English total 46
- VCLA composite score of 470 and SAT math score of 530
- VCLA composite score of 470 and ACT math score of 22
- VCLA composite score of 470 and Praxis I score of 150
- Praxis I math score of 150, reading score of 156, writing score of 162
The Office of Professional Services (OPS) works with all teacher candidates. OPS coordinates field experience placements (Practicum I and II) and clinical experience placements (Student Teaching). More information is available on the OPS website and from your advisor and program area faculty.
Placement by OPS requires submission of the following documents by the appropriate deadline:
- Criminal Background Check
- Negative Tuberculosis Test Results
- Automobile Insurance Form
- Online Application
Each placement has a mandatory orientation prior to the requirements deadline and a mandatory meeting with the assigned university supervisor before the start date of the placement. Full details about placement requirements and expectations are covered in these important sessions. Teacher candidates must have an identified rural and diverse placement.
- Since program areas vary, please contact your advisor to plan appropriate placements.
- Liberal Studies majors only
- Completion of prerequisite courses
- Online application due one semester in advance of placement (February 1 for fall; September 1 for spring)
- Complete in the second semester of your junior year or first semester of your senior year
Student Teaching (undergraduate) or Professional Semester (graduate) requires:
- 15 weeks based on licensure requirements and program area
- Application one year in advance of placement (February 1 for spring, September 1 for fall)
- Orientation and other established meetings
- OPS specified documents one semester in advance of placement (February 1 for fall or September 1 for spring)
- Overall and Major GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Positive faculty recommendation(s) as determined by your program area
- Completion of all coursework prior to student teaching
- Requires completion of an approved program
- Pass the required assessments:
- Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA)
- Reading for Virginia Educators (RVE) for elementary and/or special education
- Praxis II content area tests (if applicable)
Tips for Success
- Declare your major and make sure you are listed as a teacher candidate with the Registrar.
- Access the OPS website for information relating to field and clinical experience placements and initial teaching license.
- Monitor your email regularly for important announcements and dates from OPS.
- Start early! You can take the introductory education courses and the required tests for Teacher Preparation Program admission in your first year.
- Keep all documents pertaining to Teacher Prep and program completion in a central location. This includes your advising checklists, score reports, etc.
"A teacher plants the seeds of knowledge, sprinkles them with love, and patiently nurtures their growth to produce tomorrow's dreams." Author Unknown