- What tests do I need to become a licensed teacher? What are passing scores?
OPS has prepared several charts to help you identify which assessments are required, what the qualifying scores are for Virginia, and when the score reports should be submitted to OPS for grading in Canvas.
Longwood Assessments for Teacher Preparation Program Admission & Licensure
Testing by Program Area
- When should I take these tests? Are there any "special situations"?
Consult the Testing Timeline
- What if my GPA is a 2.49?
Your overall and major GPA must be 2.5 or higher. The system does not round your GPA, so if you have between a 2.45-2.49, you still remain unqualified for admission to the Teacher Prep Program or Student Teaching.
- I missed a deadline. What should I do?
You should schedule a meeting with the Assistant Director of OPS to determine a new plan of action if the deadline had to do with Teacher Prep or placements. OPS cannot make exceptions to deadlines since school divisions count on us to be prompt and accurate with our requests for placements. You will need to work with your advisor to revise your course plan if applicable. Remember, lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency for OPS. Plan ahead. Ask OPS questions-even if you think you know the answers. Check with OPS to confirm all requirements are met before it is too late for you to take corrective action if needed.
- Where do I find a list of requirements and application for Teacher Prep?
Requirements and the applicable deadline are explained at the Prelude to the Profession that is required for all first year and transfer students. They are also posted on the OPS website.
- I am a sophomore or junior and not yet in Teacher Prep. I cannot complete Practicum II or the upper level education courses. What can I do to get back on track for graduation?
There are limited opportunities to play "catch-up" with Practicum II and the upper level education courses. Schedule a meeting with the OPS Assistant Director to discuss whether or not you are eligible. You also need to meet with your advisor to discuss a new plan of action.
- How do I get a positive faculty recommendation for Teacher Prep?
First, consult the program area requirements about recommendations. Then, generate the request via MyLongwood (detailed directions here). The professor goes to MyLongwood and submits the recommendation online using the faculty tab. You are able to veiw the status of her/his submission in the same section of MyLongwood as the original request. If they do not see one completed and sufficient time has elapsed, email the faculty member with a gentle reminder.
- What if my Praxis scores have not been received and the deadline for Teacher Prep admission is approaching?
Notify the OPS Assistant Director immediately by email. Include your name, L#, program area, and test date. OPS will then be able to advise you how to proceed. As soon as you receive your score report, submit a copy to OPS.
- Do I need to resubmit an application for Teacher Prep if I do not get admitted after I submit the application to OPS?
No, if you are waiting for admission into the Teacher Preparation Program and have already submitted an application, you do not need to submit another one. Once you have turned in all necessary documentation and believe you have met all requirements, please email OPS to request processing of your application.