What Should I Bring?
The following is only a list of items that our staff members have created to help serve as helpful items for college students to have.
- Alarm Clock
- Bicycle with durable lock
- Can Opener
- Carpet or Scatter Rugs
- Cleaning Supplies
- Clothes Drying Rack
- Coat Hangers
- Coax cable
- Desk Lamp (non-halogen)
- Fan (even in AC buildings)
- Flashlight (with extra batteries)
- Iron (with Auto Shut Off) and Ironing Board
- Laundry Basket and Detergent
- Postage Stamps
- Quarters (for laundry)
- School Supplies
- Shower Shoes
- Stereo (with headphones)
- Storage Boxes or Foot Locker
- Television (cable ready)
- Twin EXTRA LONG Sheets
What can I Bring?
Residents may bring the following UL Approved Appliances.
- Air popcorn poppers
- Air purifiers
- Blenders or mixers
- Bread machines
- Coffee Pots (both single serve and regular coffee pots must have an automatic shutoff)
- Crock pots
- Easy Bake Ovens
- Electric can opener
- Gaming systems (X Box, PS2, etc.)
- Microwave (less than 1000 watts)
- Approved Bunking Blocks
- Musical equipment and amplification devices (of an acceptable level), surround sound speakers, flat screen TV (however, NO wall mounted TV models)
- Power Strips or Multi-plug devices with circuit breaker/surge protector
- Refrigerator (not to exceed 4.6 cubic feet)
- Rice cookers
- Stereo (with headphones)
- Vacuum cleaner, electric broom sweepers
What can I not bring?
Residents are forbidden from having the following items on school grounds.
- Air Conditioners
- Alcohol1(if under 21) or Drugs
- Antennas or satellite dishes
- Blocks to elevate bed (cinder blocks or wood)
- Bunsen burners or hot plates (including but not limited to George Foreman Grills, griddles or electric skillets, electric woks, fondue pots or chocolate fountains, S'mores makers, waffle Irons, and sandwich or quesadilla makers)
- Candles, candle warmers (including plug-in style air fresheners)
- Curtains, draperies, hangings, and other suspended decorative materials that are not treated to be flame resistant.
- Deep fryer (Fry Daddy)
- Double-sided foam tape or duct tape
- Electric heaters, electric blankets or heating pads
- Empty alcohol containers (for decoration)
- Extension cords
- Fireworks, explosives, unsafe and or flammable chemicals/liquids (including charcoal lighter fluid)
- Fog machines
- Halogen lamps (any model or style)
- Individually owned (personal) large appliances including stove ranges, washer/dryers, freezers, dishwashers
- Lava lamps
- Lighter fluid or charcoal that contains starter fluids
- LP (propane) gas grill canisters
- Multi-plug Adapters, WITHOUT circuit breaker/surge protector
- "No Boundaries" brand multi-bulb floor lamp
- Oil lamps
- Oil popcorn poppers
- Personal ceiling fans/lights or dimmer switches
- Personal door locks
- Pets (other than fish). Fish tank limited to no more than 10 gallons.
- Plug-in Air Fresheners (Glade, etc.)
- Pressurized canisters (CO2 or scuba equipment, spray paint cans and helium tanks). Exclusions are approved medical equipment (oxygen cylinders)
- Toasters or Toaster Ovens
- Wall mounted shelving, furniture, or fixtures
- Weapons2 (including martial arts practice equipment)
- Hoverboard/Self-Propelled Scooter
- Laser Beams/Pointers - Please note that the use of a laser beam or laser pointer for reasons other than classroom instruction or academic purposes is prohibited.
- Alcohol is not permitted on any freshmen floor or in Curry Residence Hall. Alcohol is also prohibited from all residence hall rooms where there are no residents of legal drinking age.
- Any firearms (including re-enactment weapons) and other hunting weapons (knives, bows, arrows, etc.) can be registered and stored at Campus Police.
Will I have Help moving in?
Yes! A special program, called Movers & Shakers, will bring nearly 100 student organization volunteers to campus in order to assist new. The program provides assistance to parents and students AND offers student organizations and individuals the opportunity to contribute effort and serve Longwood as a Citizen Leader. The volunteers will be wearing a uniquely designed t-shirt.
Students/parents are encouraged to bring their own handcart in order to help ease the burden of moving in.