Text Size Default Text SizeDefault Text Size Large Text SizeLarge Text Size Largest Text SizeLargest Text Size Print Print this Page

Student Veterans Page

Thank You For Your Service

Military Student Picture

Please see Veterans Benefits page for information on obtaining and using your education benefits, or click below for more information

Benefits Fact Sheet


Activation, Mobilization, and Returning to Longwood-what to do when you are activated, and steps to return to campus

Additional First Steps for Returning Veterans-first steps for returning home

Benefits And Resources Available to New Veterans-education, compensation and pension, life insurance, etc.

Region IV Resources- information for mental health facilities in your area


Course Equivalencies:

Some military training can be used for college credit.

For Military Science Credit: Some military training can be used for college credit. Once you obtain your military transcripts, you’ll need to take them by Longwood’s ROTC office (434.395.2136; Iler 102) and have Mr. Jeffrey Suttle review them. The ROTC office is not always open, however, and you’ll need to contact them to see when they’ll be available.

It may then take up to five business days before your equivalencies can be determined and passed on to Ms. Hannah Ledger in the Registrar’s Office. She is in charge of manually updating your course records.

For military experience that may be relevant to your major transcripts can be taken to the Department Chair for your major. The Department Chair will evaluate whether or not credit can be granted on a case by case basis, and will then contact Hannah Ledger in the Office of the Registrar.

To order Military Transcripts - https://jst.doded.mil/smart/signIn.do


The Virginia Wounded Warrior Program

"Our statewide program serves veterans of an era who are Virginia residents; members of the Virginia National Guard and Armed Forces Reserves not in active federal service; and family members of those veterans and service members. Through an extensive network of local, federal and state partnerships, the VWWP can assist you in getting the answers you need regarding psychological health and traumatic brain injury." - excerpt from "About Us" on website


Veterans Services Officer:

On the first Friday of each month, a Veterans Services member is available at our branch of the Virginia Employment Commission (434.392.8871). The office is located next to Sunchase Cinemas. Additionally, if you have an urgent question or would like to discuss a benefit question with someone on campus, please contact Susan Stinson, Longwood Student Veterans (& YRG) Co-Advisor, at x2810 or 804.306.9406. She will be able to put you in touch with someone who can assist you.

Helpful Links:

Longwood Counseling Center

The VA Website

Aurora Foundation

Military.com scholarship finder

My eBenefits

Additional Questions?

Longwood Student Veterans, Faculty Advisors:

 Dr. John Miller, Grainger 06, 434.395.2161.
                                     (c) 757.407.9541

Tuition Assistance (TA) & Estimated Advanced Credit (EAC): Ms. Karin Warner, Lancaster 205, 434.395.2068.

Registrar's Office: Ms. Hannah Ledger, Barlow, 434.395.2276.

Transcripts / Course Equivalencies: Major Ruppel-Lee, Iler 102, 434.395.2136.

Longwood Student Veterans, President: Mr. Austin Jaworski, austin.jaworski@live.longwood.edu

Yellow Ribbon Group, Advisor: Ms. Sarah Ruppel-Lee, 760.987.0652