Information for SHR Committee
Responsibilities of the SHR Committee
1. Meet on a timely basis to consider SHR proposals and other administrative matters.
2. Determine the acceptability of student proposals for participation in the SHR program.
3. Notify the Registrar of sections of 498 and 499 to be created for accepted and continuing students (duty of the chair).
4. Select from within its own membership the liaison for each student's examination committees (duty of the chair).
5. Upon receiving the report of the liaison regarding the defense, determine whether the student involved shall be accorded Senior Honors Research recognition at graduation.
6. Notify the student, the faculty sponsor, and the chair of the sponsoring department of the SHR Committee's decision (duty of the chair). If the decision is affirmative, notify the Registrar and the Dean of the college of the sponsoring department (duty of the chair).
7. Provide a list of students enrolled in SHR to the Archives and Records Manager of the Library (duty of the chair).
Responsibilities of SHR Committee Liaison
1. With the assistance of the faculty sponsor, arrange for the convening of the examination committee not later than the first week of April.
2. Attend and preside over the examination meeting as a non-voting member, and decide who if anyone other than the student, the faculty sponsor, and the members of the committee may attend the examination committee meeting or any portion of it.
3. Upon the completion of the defense, obtain the majority vote of the committee as to whether it will recommend to the SHR Committee that the student be accorded Senior Honors Research recognition. The vote should take place in the absence of the student, the faculty sponsor, and any other non-members of the committee.
4. Notify the student and the sponsor of the examination committee's vote and recommendation.
5. Notify the chair of the SHR Committee of the fact of the completion of the defense meeting and of the examination committee's recommendation.
6. Report to the full SHR Committee, in a summary form, on the substance of the defense meeting and of the examination committee's recommendation.