Major Musical Composition
Where the Wild Things Are
Class time for working on your section: as class time permits and outside class prior to November 15,
November 15 (full hour), November 22 (released time) *,
November 27 (45 minutes), November 29 (10 minutes
Final Dress Rehearsal: Thursday, December 2- 15 minutes, only
Performance and Recording: Thursday, December 2
"Where the Wild Things Are"
updated - 11/14/12
Suggested Rehearsal Plant
Plan the details
11/15 – 1-hour rehearsal
1. Get the details in place and get something notated to guide your performance. Who will perform what sounds, what inst to use, etc.
2. Read through your plan several times to get it up to performance level.
3. Run through the whole thing without stopping.
4. Critique it and make necessary changes to improve it.
5. Repeat #3 and 4 until all the details fall into place.
6. Perform the piece and record it
7. Critique and make changes.
8. Repeat #6 and 7 until you have the most wonderful piece ready to go.
11/27 – dress rehearsal – about 45 minutes
1. Run the piece and assess your performance of it.
Repeat steps from 11/15 as necessary to polish your performance
2. Be sure your notation (whatever form it takes) is well understood by all
3. Record your performance one last time
4. Listen to it and critique it and make the final, fine-tuning adjustments
11/29 – final rehearsal – 10 minutes
Time for a run-through – no more than that
Leave nothing to be decided at this last minute.