Crews

An Architectural History of Halifax County, Virginia

by Margaret “Peggy” Jones Crews ’69, M.S. ’80; Andrew Bohannon, M.S. ’79; Barbara Bass; Jane Edmunds; Ginger Gentry; Joe Graves; Peggy Hammond; and Donna Strange

This coffee- table book, which features 1,300 blackand-white photographs and an eight-page color section, highlights properties with significant historic and architectural attributes. Crews was among six writers, and Bohannon one of two photographers (the cover photo is his), who contributed to the book. Both are retired teachers (each taught for 39 years, all in Halifax County) and board members of the Halifax County Historical Society. “This was a lot of work but the most fun I have ever had,” said Crews.

Published by the Halifax County Historical Society, hardcover, 508 pages.

English

The First-Year English Teacher’s Guidebook: Strategies for Success

by Dr. Sean Ruday, associate professor of English education

The book, Ruday’s eighth, offers practical advice and recommendations to help new English teachers thrive in the classroom. Each chapter introduces a concept crucial to a successful first year of teaching English and discusses how to incorporate that concept into daily classroom practice. Topics include instructional strategies, assessment strategies, work-life balance strategies and resources.

Published by Routledge Eye on Education, hardcover, 168 pages.

talent

Unlocking Student Talent: The New Science of Developing Expertise

by Dr. Gene Kerns ’90, M.S. ’96; Robin Fogarty; and Brian Pete

An “extension on ideas” from Malcolm Gladwell’s best-selling book Outliers, which examined the factors that contribute to high levels of success, Kerns called this the first book writ ten specifically to help K-12 teachers ensure that all of their students achieve their fullest potential. “Despite the widespread perception that the talent of geniuses like Beethoven was innate, research shows that talent explains only 10 or 15 percent of one’s success,” said Kerns, vice president and chief academic officer for Renaissance Learning. “The other 85 percent is hard work, opportunities, and teachers and coaches you encountered along the way.” In his foreword, K. Anders Ericsson, an internationally recognized researcher on expertise and human performance, said the book offers “revolutionary proposals for transforming general education.”

Published by Teachers College Press, softcover, 168 pages.

Orrison

To Hazard All: A Guide to the Maryland Campaign, 1862

by Rob Orrison ’98 and Kevin Pawlak

Orrison’s fourth book, and third on the Civil War, examines the campaign that climaxed at the battle of Antietam, the bloodiest single day of the Civil War. Like his other books, he hopes it encourages readers to visit the sites, thereby sparking an interest in history. “These books aim to not just tell the story but also to show people where they can see where history happened. Historic preservation is the ultimate goal,” said Orrison, historic site operations supervisor for Prince William County.

Published by Savas Beatie, softcover, 192 pages.

Prayer

A Guidebook to Prayer: 24 Ways to Walk with God

by Dr. MaryKate Morse ’70, professor of leadership and spiritual formation at Portland Seminary at George Fox University

Drawn from her “20-plus years of teaching and talking about prayer,” the book consists of what Morse called “short parts of more than 100 prayer stories of people from all over the world. I wanted to share ordinary people’s stories and to make prayer accessible. I also wanted to highlight the character of God. I connect a character quality of God, and Jesus, with a prayer practice. In other words, ‘How would you pray to experience that?,’ which sets it apart from other prayer books.”

Published by InterVarsity Press, softcover, 251 pages.

 

Leave a Comment

>