There are financial resources designed specifically for nursing students. In addition to the following description of sources of financial assistance, students are notified of new information via email as it arrives. Materials and applications, when available, may be obtained from the nursing department office or found on designated bulletin boards.
- Institutional Scholarship and Loan Programs: Hospitals and other institutions often offer monetary assistance to students in return for a work commitment following graduation. These are excellent offers if you know where you would like to work. Contact institutions you are interested in directly and ask about programs for nursing students. Most of these programs fund only the junior and senior years.
- Federal Loan Programs: Federal loans are available at a lower rate of interest than most private loans. If you qualify for a subsidized loan, no interest is payable while in school. Repayment can be deferred and/or a portion of the balance forgiven depending upon employment following graduation. Students seeking federal student loans must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid at https://studentaid.gov.
Longwood Nursing Scholarships
All Longwood students can complete the scholarship application and be considered for all institutional scholarships. You are only required to complete the application once an academic year through Academic Works.
Application Deadline: March 1.
You must complete the general form then apply for the nursing scholarships.
- The Pugarelli Nursing Student Scholarship: The Pugarelli Nursing Student Scholarship is to be awarded to a rising junior or senior nursing student from the Southside and Central Virginia region (preferred) with financial need. The deadline for applications is March 1.
- The Gertrude Hudson Research Scholar for Dementia Care Award in Nursing and The Drew Hudson Family Scholarship for the Study of Geriatric Care is awarded annually to two — rising junior or senior — Nursing students (one for each scholarship), that have exhibited an interest in gerontological nursing. The purpose of this Scholarship is to provide support to a student that is interested in and plans on pursuing Gerontology Nursing post-graduation.
- The Centra Southside Community Nursing Student Scholarship is to be awarded to a local student (from Prince Edward county or one of the 7 surrounding counties) attending Longwood University as a freshman, sophomore or junior nursing student with financial need. The nursing student must demonstrate a commitment to the mission of Longwood University, the Department of Nursing and Centra Southside Hospital. Please contact the nursing scholarship committee for more details on this scholarship opportunity.
- The McAnulty Scholarship for Nursing is to be awarded to a rising junior or senior Longwood nursing student with financial need. This scholarship is renewable as long as the student continues to maintain the nursing GPA requirements and benchmarks within the nursing program.
Please contact the office of scholarships for information at email@example.com. You can also contact the nursing scholarship committee at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details on these opportunities.