This page contains archived information communicated to the University during the Spring 2020 semester and the initial response to the Covid-19 pandemic. Current guidance and plans for re-opening can be found at:

Last updated: Wednesday, September 15, 3:59 PM

Longwood has moved classes and assignments to a fully online format through the end of the semester, including exams. Students should continue coursework and work with professors directly about this transition.

On April 16, President Reveley announced a cross-university team of university leaders and experts to look at all aspects of campus life to help prepare Longwood to safely re-open for in-person learning in the upcoming fall semester. Reveley and Hampden-Sydney President Larry Stimpert underscored this focus in an April 27 op-ed in the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

Longwood’s campus is only open to students with extenuating circumstances. Students have been instructed to return home for the remainder of the semester.

Commencement will be held Oct. 9 and 10. We’ll announce more details in the weeks ahead.

Information for Students


Are classes still meeting?

Longwood has moved classes and assignments to a fully online format through the end of the semester, including exams. Professors are working with students to deliver classes in a fully online format. For details about individual classes and assignments, contact your professor.

What can I expect from online classes?

Just because you are working online, you are still in school and will be required to complete assigned work by set deadlines. Professors are working to deliver class content to students through a variety of methods and working with students to navigate any issues faced with online learning.

Depending on the way your faculty organize their online classes, you:

  • may be required to be online with your class, small groups, or your instructor at the same time (also called synchronous instruction).
  • will still be required to submit assignments by required due dates.
  • will be required to stay up-to-date on coursework, rather than being able to work whenever you want.

How much time should I be spending on my classes?

In a typical in-person class, for every hour you spend in class, you should be spending another two hours outside of class on work. With a move to online instruction, the total amount of expected work should remain the same, but the types of interaction will be different. Your instructors will determine how class meeting times will be changed in the online environment so that the total amount of time spent on the class remains the same.

Where do I find my coursework?

Your professor will be in touch with you on how to access coursework. Most content will be available on your course’s Canvas site. If you have not been in touch with your instructor and do not see your class in Canvas, please contact your instructor immediately.

I’m having issues with my online classes. What should I do?

First, talk to your professor. We understand that everyone is in a different situation right now, and we’re here to help. Whether it’s lack of reliable internet, lack of access to equipment, or any other issue, we want to provide the support you need to successfully complete this semester. The Digital Education Collaborative office (434-395-4332 or and Help Desk (434-395-4357 or are good starting points for helping navigate some of these issues.

There are a few strategies for dealing with spotty internet access that may help:

  • If they offer recordings of their live sessions, ask if you are allowed to watch those at a later time. This will take less bandwidth.
  • When using any web conferencing software, it is good to consider that it takes less bandwidth to receive video than to send it. One suggestion is to not send your own video, mute your camera and only your name or the photo connected to your profile will show.
  • Try to not watch the sessions live, but to watch the recording of the class later, if this is offered. This requires less bandwidth as well.
  • Attend live sessions via cellphone using the appropriate app.

What if I need a specific piece of equipment like a laptop to participate in my coursework, but I don’t have it?

We can help. You can check out a laptop from the Digital Education Collaborative or Greenwood Library. iPads are available from the DEC as well. We have a limited supply of webcams, but have ordered more that will be available soon.

Both the DEC and the Greenwood Library have other equipment you may need. Contact the DEC at or 434-395-4332. Contact the library at or 434-395-2433.

What if I have questions about accommodations related to my documented disability?

The Office of Disability Resources is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. every day. To contact them, call 434-395-2391, email, or get in touch with director Dana Miller-Kieran at

Can I still get help from the Writing Center or the Quantitative Reasoning Center?

The Writing Center is conducting virtual sessions. You can sign up for a virtual appointment at The Quantitative Reasoning Center has virtual tutoring hours using Zoom. Updated information about this is on their blog at

Is the IT Help Desk still open?

The Help Desk is open and ready to help you with issues like passwords, Lancer Net, or hardware and software questions. Visit their website or call 434-395-4357.

Can I still use all the library resources and get help from a librarian?

The Greenwood Library remains open and has librarians on call to help you. Please see amended hours below.

What is the DEC?

The Digital Education Collaborative (DEC) is an office on campus that supports distance and online instruction for both students and faculty. 

What if I don’t see the Canvas site for my course?

Contact your instructor first to ensure the course is published. If the course is published and you still can’t see it, or if you are unable to get in touch with your instructor, please reach out to the DEC at or 434-395-4332. 

What is Zoom, and do I need it?

Zoom is a video conferencing tool that allows groups of people to meet in real-time. Faculty may meet with their class using Zoom or another video conferencing tool like WebEx or Canvas Conferences.  

How do I join a Zoom meeting?

In most cases, joining a Zoom meeting is as easy as clicking a link on your computer or dialing a phone number, both of which would have been sent to you by the host (your instructor). We recommend you download the Zoom app, which is free for Android and iOS.

Do I need a Zoom account to join a Zoom meeting?

No, students don’t need accounts and don’t need to download additional programs. Learn more about joining a Zoom meeting. If you need assistance, please reach out to the DEC at or 434-395-4332. 

What is Panopto, and do I need it?

Panopto is a screen recording and presentation software that faculty and students can use to present information and give course examples not in real-time. You can use Panopto to record voice over PowerPoints or share examples on your computer desktop. If your instructor has assigned you to complete a Panopto recording, you should see a link to Panopto in the left hand navigation menu on Canvas. 

What is Honorlock?

Honorlock is a test integrity system that provides cheating deterrents for online tests, quizzes and assignments through identity verification, a browser guard, proctoring, mobile device detection, and seek and destroy technology for similar questions on the web. Your Honorlock experience may be different from one class to another or even one quiz to another. Be sure to read the instructions provided by your instructor. We highly recommend that you do the practice test offered, this will help you understand what to expect.

To ensure test integrity, Honorlock provides identity verification and records you taking the assignment. You do not need to upload or download anything when taking a test with Honorlock. You will need to install a Chrome browser extension, but this is only an extension and not a download/upload issue. If you need assistance, please reach out to the DEC at or 434-395-4332.

What about registering for classes for summer and in the fall?

Registration has been moved. The new dates are as follows:

  • ​Time Ticket 1 – Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 7:00 a.m
  • Time Ticket 2 – Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 7:00 a.m.
  • Time Ticket 3 – Thursday, April 2, 2020 at 7:00 a.m.
  • Time Ticket 4 – Friday, April 3, 2020 at 7:00 a.m.

If you have not met with your advisor already, we encourage you to contact them. You can find out who your advisor is in myLongwood. Students who need a PIN will need to work with their advisor virtually (email, phone, Webex/Zoom). Students who are unable to reach their advisor should contact their department chair for assistance.

If you run into any problems or issues with registration, please reach out to the Registrar’s Office by email ( or chat, which you can find via the blue “Ask Us” box on the right side of the Registrar’s website. We are ready to help you plan your next semester. If you need a refresher on how to register, we have lots of registration tutorials.

How do I send forms to the Registrar's Office?  

In order to be responsive to Longwood’s current operating plan the Registrar’s Office will be accepting forms via email. The following process needs to be followed:

  • Forms need to be filled out completely. Most are fillable forms and can be saved to your computer.
  • If the form requires only your signature, it will be accepted at if sent from your email address. Forms will not be accepted from any alternate email address.
  • If your form requires signatures from your advisor or department chair, send the form to them via your email for their approval. The advisor or department chair will then be responsible for sending their approval with the completed form to

Please let us know if you have any questions regarding this process at

Has the deadline to withdraw from full semester classes changed?

Yes. The deadline for students to withdraw from full semester classes is now Friday, April 24 at 5 p.m.

To withdraw from a class, you must fill out a pdf form found on the Registrar’s website. The form must be submitted to the Registrar's Office by Friday, April 24 at 5 p.m. Please be aware that course withdrawals may affect your financial aid. You should contact the financial aid staff at or 434-395-2077 if you have questions.

Is my study abroad program affected?

Longwood has canceled all summer study abroad programs, and notified all student participants. This cancellation includes all faculty-led, exchange, and affiliate programs. All Lancers studying abroad for the Spring 2020 semester have returned to the United States. Further questions can be directed to

Are Brock Experiences affected? 

Brock Experiences scheduled for Summer 2020 have been canceled.


What are the grading options for undergraduate courses that moved online for the spring 2020 semester?

There are two options.  Students can choose to remain with the standard A-F grading scale.  Students also have the option to choose an alternate pass/fail scale for any of their current undergraduate spring courses that were moved online because of COVID-19. This scale awards students the grades:

  • PV (C- and better)
  • DV (D+, D, D-)
  • FV (failing)

Will all spring classes automatically switch to the alternate pass/fail grading scale?

No. You must choose which classes you want graded on the alternate pass/fail scale.

What are some reasons I might want to choose the alternate pass/fail grading scale?

Reasons will vary based on personal situations.  If you are concerned that you don’t learn as well with distance learning as you would with face-to-face learning, particularly in a certain course, or if you have limited access to the internet, or if new family or work obligations now take up a significant amount of time, this may be an option to consider.

What are some reasons I might NOT want to choose the alternate pass/fail grading scale?

You may want to keep the standard A-F grading scale if you have program or course requirements that are higher than a C-.  If you are considering graduate school or if your financial aid requires a certain number of graded credit hours, you may want to keep the standard A-F grading scale.  You may also want to keep the A-F grading scale because you want those courses in your GPA, or for other personal reasons.

How should I decide if it makes sense for me to choose the alternate pass/fail grading scale for any of my courses?

You should consult with your academic advisor. For example, if you are in a program that requires grades above a C-, your advisor can help explain whether it is feasible for you to take those courses with the alternate pass/fail grading scale and whether they will count for future coursework.

If I choose to take the alternate pass/fail grading option for a class, does that lock in my current grade?

No. You are expected to finish your assigned work for the semester in all courses, and your course grade will be based on the entire semester’s work.

Will choosing this option for a class affect my financial aid?

If you are receiving financial aid, you should consult with financial aid staff about what effect, if any, either withdrawing or choosing the alternate pass/fail grading option may have.

Is there a limit to how many courses I can choose to be graded on the alternate pass/fail scale?

No, you may choose any number or all of your classes to be graded on the alternate pass/fail scale.

I’m a student athlete. Will choosing the alternate pass/fail grading scale affect my eligibility?

You should consult with athletics academic support staff about how your decisions could affect eligibility or aid.

When is the deadline to make this decision?

You should weigh your options carefully and in close consultation with your academic advisor, based on your major or minor program requirements and future plans. Many pre-professional programs and graduate schools in particular will want to see the usual A-F grades. This is not a decision to rush into, which is why you have several weeks to think about it and consult with faculty and staff. The deadline to opt into the alternate pass/fail grading scale with your advisor’s sign-off is Friday, April 24 at 5 p.m.

I want to have a class graded on the alternate pass/fail grading scale. What do I need to do?

You must fill out a pdf form (available on the Registrar’s site) and submit it to your academic advisor. Your academic advisor will grant approval electronically and submit the form for you. This process must be completed by 5 p.m. on Friday, April 24.

If I want my classes to continue to be graded on the typical A-F scale, what do I need to do?

Nothing. If you don’t choose the alternate option, your classes will continue to be graded on the typical A-F scale.

How will this affect my GPA?

  • If you took intersession courses, those are still factored into your Spring 2020 semester GPA.
  • Any courses that you choose to leave graded in the typical A-F scale will be factored into your Spring 2020 semester GPA.
  • If you choose a class to be graded in the alternate pass/fail scale, it will not be factored into your Spring 2020 semester GPA.

Do all courses have this option?

The alternate pass/fail grading scale is only available for undergraduate classes that began as a face-to-face class and moved fully online because of COVID-19.

If I choose this option for one or some of my classes, can I still make the Dean’s or President’s List?

The President’s and Dean’s Lists recognize students based on the semester’s GPA.

  • To be on the President’s List, a student must have completed at least 12 semester hours and earned a 4.0 for those hours.
  • To be on the Dean’s List, a student must have completed at least 12 semester hours and earned between a 3.5 and 3.999 for those hours and have no grades below C-.

Students who change one or more courses to the alternate pass/fail grading option should be aware of the possibility that they would not be eligible for either list because those grades would not be factored into the semester GPA.

If I am on probation now or have been readmitted after suspension, will choosing the Pass/Fail option affect my standing?

Students currently on academic probation or who have been readmitted after suspension and who convert all courses to the alternate pass/fail grading scale must earn no more than one grade of DV or FV to be in good standing for the semester.

Will the alternate pass/fail grading scale help me avoid academic probation or suspension?

Probation and suspension may still occur during the spring semester and will follow the same definitions. Students currently in good standing who decide to change all courses to the alternate pass/fail grading scale and who receive all FVs will be placed on academic probation for the next semester.

When is the final day of undergraduate classes?

Wednesday, April 29.

When do final exams begin?

Friday, May 1.

Residence Life

Can I stay in my Longwood housing?

We have required all students to move out of on-campus or Longwood-managed off-campus housing by Friday, March 27.

I am unable to return home. What do I need to do to be able to stay in Longwood housing this semester?

We are considering emergency exemptions on a case-by-case basis. Students who have registered to stay on campus have been emailed instructions on how to apply for an emergency exemption.

I am not on campus now and my belongings are in my room. When can I come and get them?

In compliance with the stay-at-home order issued by Governor Northam, returning to or accessing Longwood-managed housing is not permitted at this time, unless you have been granted an emergency exemption by the housing office. If you have belongings in your room, they will remain safe and secure. Additional information regarding approved times to remove personal items will be provided in the coming weeks. If you have extenuating circumstances, please contact the Office of Residential and Commuter Life at or 434-395-2080 for assistance. On site or impromptu access (i.e., arriving to without prior approval) requests cannot be processed at this time. 

What about refunds for housing or dining?

Housing & Dining: Students who live on campus or in Longwood-managed housing and have a meal plan will each be paid a refund of $1,000.

Just Dining: If you don’t live in Longwood-managed housing but have a meal plan for the spring semester, you will be paid a refund of $300.

These refunds will be paid in two installments. The first half of the total will be mailed to your permanent address in the next 30 days. The second half will be mailed in July.

Will my bonus dollars be refunded?

If you are a continuing student, your unused bonus dollars will be rolled over for use in the 2020-21 academic year. If you are graduating, you will receive a refund in July of any remaining bonus dollars. If you have other circumstances, please email

Will I be refunded for my parking pass?

If you are a continuing student with a valid parking pass for the Spring 2020 semester, you will have a $50 credit applied to your account in July. If you are graduating and had a valid parking pass for the Spring 2020 semester, your July refund check will increase by $50. If you have remaining charges on your student account, they will be deducted from the July refund. If you have questions, please email

I’m feeling sick. What should I do?

This is the time of year many people become ill from the flu or other seasonal viruses. The CDC lists symptoms of coronavirus as cough, fever, and shortness of breath. If you have these symptoms, you should call the University Health Center at 434-395-2102 and they can help you assess whether you need treatment or rest.

The University Health Center is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday-Friday. If you have a medical issue outside these hours, follow the guidance outlined on the University Health Center website.

A reminder for parents: students must make their own appointments at the University Health Center.

Guidance for Undergraduate Student Workers

I’m a student worker. Now that classes are fully online through the end of the semester, what should I do?

Student workers, including students who are part of the Federal Work Study program, will be paid through May 9, regardless of whether they are able to come into work. We will provide further details on procedures on logging hours for student workers and those who are part of the Federal Work Study program shortly.

I still want to come in to do my job. Can I do that?

Now that classes are fully online, please contact your supervisor.

Guidance for Graduate Assistants

I’m unable to work on campus. Can I do work remotely?

Yes, telework options are available to graduate assistants. Contact your supervisor.

If I can work or not, will I still be paid?

Graduate assistants will be paid through May 9, regardless of whether they are able to work. We will be in contact shortly about logging hours for the remainder of the semester.


Who will receive a CARES Act grant?

All Longwood undergraduate students who had a valid FAFSA on file before April 30 and have incurred some expense related to Covid-19 will receive a CARES Act grant. There were 2602 students that met this criteria and therefore 2602 grants will be distributed. Each student will receive a grant of $618.87. Those funds will be either direct-deposited or mailed by check by June 1.

How much money was distributed to students?

Longwood received $1,610,289 from the CARES Act to support students, every penny of which was distributed to students. Longwood University signed and returned the Certification and Agreement to the U.S. Department of Education that assured Longwood has used no less than 50 percent of the funds received under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.

How was the grant amount determined?

The CARES Act earmarked a portion of the funding provided to each university for student relief. Longwood divided that money evenly among students who met both federal and institutional eligibility requirements. There were 2748 students eligible to participate in the Federal student financial aid programs under Section 484 of the Higher Education Act of 1965, and of that group of students, 2593 met institutional eligibility requirements.

When will the money be in my account?

If you will receive a CARES Act grant and you have direct deposit set up, the money will be deposited into your account by June 1. If you do not have direct deposit, you may set it up by May 19 in order for the money to be directly deposited in your account. If you don’t have direct deposit, you will receive a check that will be mailed by June 1.

Do I have to prove that I had expenses related to Covid-19 to receive the funds?

The CARES Act grant is for students who have had expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to coronavirus--this includes housing and dining plans, travel expenses, technology, or additional food expenses. The University will not request proof of these expenses. Instead, by accepting the funding you confirm you had an extra expense.

Is the grant money taxable?

No, the grant is not includible in your gross income.

Campus Operations

What are current facility hours?

  • Dorrill Dining Hall
    • Dhall: Closed
    • Greens to Go: open for hot meal takeout (will accept meal swipes) and refreshment purchases (Bonus Dollars and Lancer Cash accepted)
      • 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. - 6 p.m. 
  • POD Market: Closed.
  • Upchurch University Center Ground Floor Dining: Closed
  • Upchurch Starbucks: Closed.
  • The Comma: Closed.
  • Chick fil-A: Open Monday-Saturday, 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. Take-out only. Closed Sundays.
  • Moe’s: Closed.
Campus Facilities
  • Bookstore
    • Closed; Available to process orders via phone (434-395-3355)
  • Health & Fitness Center
    • Closed
  • Greenwood Library
    • Closed as of March 26 at 5 p.m.
    • Research Help: Librarians are available for individual and group sessions via chat, phone, Zoom, and other means. Start by going to the Library website and clicking “Chat with Us!”
  • University Health Center
    • Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
    • Closed Saturdays and Sundays
    • Please call 434-395-2102 for appointments. If you have traveled away from campus and are unable to come in or simply would like to speak to someone telemedicine is available. Telemedicine provides a path for you to speak to a health care provider about ongoing health issues or refill requests. You may contact your provider at the health center through the secure portal messaging system, by calling the center at 434.395.2102, or emailing
  • Upchurch University Center
    • Closed
  • Counseling and Psychological Services
    • Counseling and Psychological Services will provide mental health services by telephone between 8:15 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. If you have a scheduled appointment, just call 434-395-2409 at your appointment time. Please have your L-Number ready to confirm your identity. Groups and workshops are postponed. To schedule an appointment, can 434-395-2409.
  • Post Office and Printing Services
    • Monday-Friday, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
    • Closed Saturdays and Sundays
Residence Halls
  • Residence Halls will be closed to students not granted an emergency exemption beginning April 1 at 5 p.m. Any belongings left in rooms will be safe and secure. Once it is safe for students and families to return to to campus and move out, we will communicate a schedule.
  • All required practices and competitions through the rest of the semester are suspended.
Farmville Area Bus (FAB)
  • Campus Line Service is no longer running.

Information for Faculty & Staff

What does this latest announcement on March 19 about classes going online for the remainder of the semester mean for employees?

The guidance regarding telework, leave and other matters given last week when in-person classes moved to fully-online continues to apply. The University will be in further communication with employees next week.

Should faculty and staff continue reporting to work?

We are committed to keeping our campus open for students who need to stay, and the vice presidents are working closely with employees to do so.

However, pursuant to guidance issued by Gov. Northam for state agencies to encourage telework, we are directing vice presidents to work with staff to determine eligibility and ability to telework.

Who determines if I’m eligible for telework?

The vice president in your area will determine which employees are eligible for telework.

My job can be accomplished via telework but I have limited or no access to the internet at home. What should I do?

Guidance will be provided by the Vice President of your area.

My job can be done via telework, but I want to continue to work from campus. Is that acceptable?

The governor’s office is encouraging those who can telework to do so. The campus remains open, however, and faculty and staff have access to their work spaces.

My job can be accomplished via telework but I don’t have a work laptop? What should I do?

Guidance will be provided by the Vice President of your area. Please work with your supervisor to ensure you have access to the resources you need.

I am in a group deemed high risk by the CDC and cannot telework, what do I do?

Contact HR at

My job cannot be done via telework and I have health concerns about coming onto campus. What do I do?

Contact HR at

My job cannot be done via telework but I don’t have childcare. What do I do?

Contact HR at

On campus, what does social distancing mean for faculty and staff?

You are encouraged to meet by phone or teleconferencing as possible.

Governor Northam is directing state agencies, through the Department of Human Resource Management, to limit in-person meetings and non-essential, work-related gatherings.

I supervise student workers. Do I need to be on campus if they want to work?

Because classes are fully online for the remainder of the semester, we have advised student workers that they should not report for work.

How do I work with students to send forms to the Registrar's Office?

In order to be responsive to Longwood’s current operating plan the Registrar’s Office will be accepting forms via email. The following process needs to be followed:

  • Students have been instructed to fill out forms completely. Most are fillable forms and can be saved to their computer.
  • If the form requires signatures from an advisor or department chair, the student will send the form to the appropriate signer (advisor or department chair) via their email for approval. The advisor or department chair will then be responsible for sending their approval with the completed form to
  • Please be aware some forms may need a secondary approval. For example if the student has a minor, the Application for Degree will need the advisor’s signature as well as the department chair’s signature for the minor. In these cases, after the first approval is obtained that advisor or department chair will need to send it to the next approver. Once all applicable approvals are obtained, the form and all email approvals need to be emailed to

Please let us know if you have any questions regarding this process at​

Are midterm grading estimates still due at the same time?

We are extending the time for faculty to complete their midterm grading. The midterm grade estimates are now due by 12 noon on Friday, March 20.

Information on Events

Will Spring Weekend be held?

Spring Weekend will be postponed. We will let you know about rescheduling when we have more information.

Information on Commencement

Will Commencement be held?

Commencement for the Class of 2020 will be held on the weekend of Oct. 9 and 10. The graduate ceremony will be on Friday evening, Oct. 9, and the undergraduate ceremony on Saturday, Oct. 10. We will share exact times and logistical information in the weeks ahead, while finding a way to mark what would have been graduation weekend on May 15 and 16.

When and how will I get my diploma?

As long as you have met the requirements for May graduation, be assured your degree will be officially conferred and you will be considered a Longwood graduate by May 16. Diplomas will be mailed to your home in early summer. 

Information on Admissions

I’m a new student for Fall 2020. Where do I get information?

We’re here to help you navigate these uncertain times. The latest information for students at any stage in the admissions process is available at