Transfer Credit Equivalencies for Military Training (Beginning fall 2020)

Veterans and military personnel should request a copy of their Joint Services Transcript be sent to Longwood’s Office of the Registrar. Determination of transfer credit of non-correspondence service schools will be made by the department or program chair using the American Council on Education’s Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services. No more than 30 credits may be transferred in from a Joint Services Transcript.

Transfer of Credits

In general, credits are accepted from institutions that are accredited by the appropriate regional accreditation agency if you earned a grade of “C” or better in the class and they are comparable to courses offered at Longwood. Please visit the Registrar’s webpage for further information.

Class Absences Due to Military Duty

Military service (such as Reserve or National Guard drills) is an excused class absence per Longwood’s Academic Regulations.

It is strongly recommended that you notify all of your instructors in advance to coordinate making up missed assignments. Some faculty may require you to notify the Dean of Students for approval.

Note that if you miss 25% of scheduled class meetings, an instructor has the right to assign a course grade of F, regardless if some or all of the absences were excused.

Temporary Withdrawals from the University for Mobilization or Training

Longwood’s Academic Regulations permit current Longwood students who will not return to Longwood the next semester because of training or mobilization to request an End-of-Semester Temporary Leave. Likewise, current students who are unable to complete the current term due to military orders may request Mid-Semester Temporary Leave.

Temporary Leave ensures the cancellation of registered courses, tuition charges, current housing assignments, and other associated charges. It also allows you to maintain your myLongwood account and your registration time ticketing and to return to the university without having to re-apply. 

Please note that the Office of Residence and Commuter Life will make every attempt to hold a housing assignment for a student on temporary leave.

Please follow these steps:

  1. Submit a Temporary Leave Request in writing to the Office of the Registrar, located at 112 Brock Hall. The letter must include (1) your reason for the temporary leave; (2) supporting documentation, including orders or notification from your command; and (3) a signed agreement to return to campus after your absence.

    Students will be informed via their Longwood email account whether their request for temporary leave has been approved by the Office of the Registrar.
  2. Notify your academic advisor, Longwood Military and Veteran Student Services Liaison John Miller (, and Alicia Moseley ( in the Registrar’s Office.
  3. Notify your student loan lender. It is your responsibility to follow through with any procedures your lender indicates.

Note: Students who are granted temporary leave will still be considered withdrawn for financial aid purposes and may be subject to cancellation or proration of financial aid funds. Refunds will vary depending upon the date of approval.