Frequently Asked Questions

Things to Do Before You Arrive at Longwood

Applying and Registering for Classes

Question: I will be a new student, how can I register for classes?
Answer: All new students are registered during the orientation process after arrival.

Question: Are there Longwood students that I can talk to before coming to Longwood?
Answer: Yes, if you wish we can put in you in contact with an International Student Buddy, who is a current Longwood student.

Question: Why do international students have to purchase health insurance?
Answer: All F1 and J1 visas holders are required to have a valid health insurance policy while enrolled at Longwood University. Health care is very expensive in the United States, and insurance will help to cover medical expenses in case you become sick or are injured. If you willfully refuse to purchase a health insurance policy your visa may be terminated! You can purchase a health insurance policy on the International Student Health Insurance website.

Money Concerns

Question: What are the payment options for paying for my room and board and tuition?
Answer: Longwood University will accept cashier's checks and money orders in US dollars, as well as MasterCard, Discover and American Express, but does not accept Visa as a method of payment for housing costs, meal plans, etc. If you plan to use a credit card, please be advised that there will be an additional 2.7% charge. Payment information is outlined in more detail below:

  • Western Union: Students may "wire" funds to themselves, and may (personally) pick up their payments upon arrival to Farmville.

    Upon arrival on campus, students may deliver "wired" payments to Longwood University's Office of Cashiering, located in Eason Building (Suite 201-A).

    Listing of Western Union locations in Farmville, Virginia area (23901 postal code), listed in order of proximity to Longwood University campus:

    1) Food Lion, 1592 S Main St, Farmville, Virginia. 434-392-9486.
    2) Rite Aid Pharmacy, 1401 S Main St, Farmville, Virginia. 434-392-4165.
    3) Woodforest National Bank, 1800 Peery Drive (inside Wal-Mart), Farmville, Virginia. 434-315-0058 or 434-315-0283.

  • International Money Orders or Cashier's Checks: Students may obtain International Money Orders or Cashier's Checks from their financial institutions = payable to Longwood University, in US Dollars.

    Upon arrival on campus, students may deliver these payments to Longwood University's Office of Cashiering, located in Eason Building (Suite 201-A), or, prior to arrival on campus, students may mail payments to:

    Office of Cashiering
    Longwood University
    201 High Street
    Farmville, Virginia 23901
  • Online Credit Card Payments: Students may log into myLongwood / My Student Account to access our "TouchNet / PayPath" online bill and payment system. From this system, students may elect to submit payment via any of the credit cards listed below.

    Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Diners Club, JCB, China Union Pay.

    Note: Students paying by credit card will be charged a non-refundable payment service fee of 2.75%.


Question: Do I need a US bank account? How would I go about getting one?
Answer: While you will likely be able to use your foreign bank card in the United States, you will probably be charged a fee for each transaction, also your foreign bank card may not be accepted by as many vendors as an American bank card. Therefore, it is generally best to set up a bank account at an American Bank when you arrive. During International Student Orientation, you will have the opportunity to set up a checking account at a local bank. To set up your account you will need to bring some US dollars to open the account and your passport. You can close the bank account before you leave the US.

Life at Longwood

Information about Farmville and Longwood

Question: What is the weather like in Farmville?
Answer: The weather in Farmville is considered to be mild with four distinct seasons. Farmville and most of the surrounding state of Virginia has a humid subtropical climate with warm summers and mild winters. You can research climate data for Farmville here.

Question: What are my dining options at Longwood?
Answer: All students living on campus are required to select a meal plan to be used at the Dining Hall. Also, there are many cafes and restaurants in the town of Farmville.

Question: What are the Residence Halls like?
Answer: All Longwood Residence Halls are located on campus and very close to the academic halls where you will be taking classes. Most residence halls are double rooms where you will have an American student roommate.

Question: What public transportation is available in Farmville?
Answer: There is a public bus service, the Farmville Area Bus (FAB) that offers free transportation to students within the town and surrounding area.


Question: What can I do to get involved?
Answer: With over 125 clubs and organizations, athletic events, recreational opportunities, etc. it is easy to find something to interest you. There is also the International Club, which is a good way to meet other international students and friendly American students.

For more information about specific involvement areas at Longwood, see Lancer Life.

Question: How can I find a job on campus?
Answer: A good way to being looking for jobs is to sign up on CareerConnect or contact Nadine Garrett, the Student Employment Manager. International Students are not eligible for "Federal Work Study" positions. These are jobs that are reserved for American students who qualify to receive assistant from the government for funding their undergraduate education. To be eligible to work on campus, international students must be in good academic standing, work no more than 20 hours per week, and cannot begin working until 30 days after the start date listed on the I-20 or DS-2019. You must also receive an employment authorization from a Designated School Official (DSO).

Personal Issues

Question: Do I need to bring some bedding?
Answer: Residence Halls at Longwood do not come with bedding supplies. The beds in all the Longwood on-campus residence halls are made for extra-long (XL) twin sheets. If you will living in an on-campus residence hall you must provide these for yourself. You may buy them while shopping in the town on the night you arrive, or you may purchase bedding online and have it shipped to the address provided below. It will be placed in your room before you arrive. Some affordable websites that sell bedding online are: and

Address for bedding to be sent:
Center for Global Engagement
Longwood University
201 High Street
Farmville, VA 23909 USA

Question: How can I seek help if I feel homesick?
Answer: It is completely normal for international students to feel homesick. One of the best things you can do to combat your feelings of homesickness is to make new friends and get involved in activities on campus. Find out about our over 125 clubs, organizations and recreational opportunities. Longwood also provides free counseling services to students.

Question: What do I do if I am having conflicts with my roommate?
Answer: You should first talk to your roommate and see if you can come to an agreement with them that will minimize conflict. If you are still having conflicts with the roommate, you may make an appointment to meet with your Residence Education Coordinator (REC).

Academic Matters

Question: How do I find out who my advisor is?
Answer: Degree seeking students will be assigned an academic advisor during their first semester at Longwood.

Question: How do I contact my professors if I am having trouble in a class?
Answer: If you want to meet with the professor in person, it is best to visit their office during their office hours. Longwood professors are available to meet with students during office hours, which are usually listed in the course syllabus. You may also email or call your professor if you cannot meet with them in person. However, email is typically a better method than telephone.

Question: I have applied and been accepted into a graduate school, how do I transfer my student visa?
Answer: If you are accepted a graduate school, you must provide your DSO at the transfer-out school; Proof of your acceptance, the contact information of the DSO at the transfer-in school, and the SEVIS school code for the school you plan to transfer to. Once you have done this, your visa record can be transferred to your new school.

Leaving Longwood

Question: What do I need to do before I travel out of the USA?
Answer: Make sure you have all your immigration documents! Also, make sure that the travel validation signature on your DS-2019 or I-20 is up to date.

Housing Information (off-campus)

Read the Step-by-Step Housing Guide to help navigate the process of finding a place to live. Always be sure to plan all of your tours and meetings when you do not have a class scheduled. Ask questions of your housing guides until you understand everything. 


501 Sunchase Blvd.
Farmville, VA 23901
Phone: 434-392-7440
Fax: 434-392-9353

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Saturday 10 p.m. - 2 p.m.
Sunday By Appointment Only

Walk2Campus Properties

123 W. Third St.
Farmville, VA 23901

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Green Properties

303 B St. George Street
Farmville, VA 23901

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday Call or e-mail for hours.

Poplar Forest

900 Poplar Forest Road
Farmville, VA 23901
Phone:  434-392-5300
Fax:  434-392-5558
Email:  To e-mail, fill out online form.

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday Call or e-mail for hours.

Driver's License

Question: Can I use my Driver's License (from another country)?
Answer: Yes, but only if:

  • you stay an unemployed, full-time student
  • your license is valid (not expired or suspended) and comes with a translation (from your country or your embassy)
  • the car title is from your country
    • If you get a car title from Virginia/in the US, then you must get a valid Virginia/state driver's license within 60 days of getting your car.

Question: Can I get a Virginia Driver's License?
Answer: Yes, international students can obtain a Virginia Driver's License. Read the information below to learn how to get one.

How to Obtain a Virginia Driver's License for International Students

Before you can legally operate a motor vehicle in the United States you must obtain a Driver's License.  To obtain a Driver's License, you must visit a Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles Office (DMV). There is a DMV office located in Farmville. The hours, location and contact information is below:

Farmville DMV Customer Service Center

Address: 300 North Virginia Street, Farmville, VA 23901-1424
Hours: Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Saturday: 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Telephone: (804) 497-7100 Fax: 434-392-5721

The process for obtaining a Virginia Driver's License depends on whether you already have an international driver's license or not.

If you already have an international driver's license:

When you visit the DMV, you must bring the following information with you:

  • Your International Driver's License
  • Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20 or Form DS-2019)
  • Passport with valid visa and I-94 (Arrival and Departure) record
  • Social Security Card (If you have one)
  • Proof of Virginia Residency (This can be a lease agreement [free], Virginia state income tax form [must be in the U.S. for at least 1 year], Enrollment Verification [$5, must pay Cashier's] or Official Academic Transcript [$10, must have completed 1 full session]. Both of the last options can be obtained from the Registrar's Office at Longwood.

Once you present these documents, you will have to take a written test as well as a driving test with an observer before you can obtain your Virginia Driver's License.  To pass the test, you will need to learn about driving laws in the United States. You can learn about driving laws in Virginia here:

If you do not have an international driver's license:

When you visit the DMV, you must bring the following information with you:

  • Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20 or Form DS-2019)
  • Passport with valid visa and I-94 (Arrival and Departure) record
  • Social Security Card (If you have one)
  • Proof of Virginia Residency (This can be a lease agreement, Virginia state income tax form, Enrollment Verification or Official Academic Transcript (can be obtained from the Registrar's Office at Longwood).

Once you present these documents, you will have to complete a Driver's Education Program and obtain a Learner's Permit. Once you have completed that, you will have to take a written test as well as a driving test with an observer before you can obtain your Virginia Driver's License.  To pass the test, you will need to learn about driving laws in the United States. Learn about driving laws in Virginia. If you are over 18 years old you will be able to take the test within 30 days. If you are 18 years old or younger you will have to wait for 9 months.

Please note that after buying a car, car insurance must also be obtained. You can not drive your car without car insurance.

For information about car insurance options, you can refer to the list below:

Edgar Jones - State Farm Agent
217 East 3rd Street, Farmville

W. A. Watson & Sons Insurance

106 North Main Street, Farmville
(434) 392-4177

Mark Webb - State Farm Insurance Agent
1208 South Main Street, Farmville
(434) 315-0050