International Students Photo

Transportation to/from Airport

Transportation to/from Airport

The Center for Global Engagement provides free transportation to and from Richmond International Airport (RIC) to all international students on designated days. If students wish to use this transportation, they must arrive/depart at Richmond International Airport on the scheduled arrival/departure dates.

Please confirm your arrival/departure plans in advance via email with the International Student Advisor, Mr. Scott Couchman,

Travel Preparation

Your student must travel with:

  • original signed I-20,
  • valid passport and
  • student visa.

Important Notes

  • Your student cannot arrive in the United States after the program start date on their I-20 or DS-2019 unless they receive a letter of approval from Longwood University.
  • Travel after initial entry requires an official signature on the I-20, valid for one year.
  • Your student has a 30-day grace period after the end date listed on their DS-2019 (or 60 days if they have an I-20) during which they may remain in the United States on his/her student visa.

Your Student's First Days on Campus

Your student's first days on campus will be busy and exciting with Orientation as the first event as an official Lancer! Your student will meet other new international students, attend social events and learn about campus offices and the services they provide.

  • met at airport
  • store runs, help setting up rooms
  • orientation
  • mentoring
  • social programming
  • academic monitoring
  • office support

Please visit the International Students Handbook for Orientation (pdf) for more information on visas, housing, meals, banking, what to bring, etc.


Upon your student’s arrival, they will be given the option to receive a SIM card through CampusSims. This SIM card will work in any unlocked cell phone that your student brings with them. CampusSims offer no-contract plans, affordable monthly rates, free unlimited international texting and the ability to freeze your student's account whenever they travel back home. Visit to learn more about this cell phone option.

Keep in mind that your student will be busy in the first few days after arrival and will have limitations to when they can communicate. We encourage students and parents to make a communication plan for the first few days after arrival before they depart.

Paying Tuition

Longwood University has partnered with Flywire so that you can pay your deposit and/or tuition in your local currency. With Flywire, you can track your payment and take advantage of their 24/7 Customer Support team.  Once you set up an account you will be able to make all your payments to Longwood through Flywire.

Instructions are available in several languages, choose from the menu below.

Health & Wellness

Studying abroad is challenging and sometimes students need extra help with their cultural and social adjustment.  For these issues as well as for the physical health problems that may arise, Longwood has a professionally staffed Student Health and Wellness center.    Some of the services offered include:

  • initial treatment for injuries/illness
  • health education for groups or individuals
  • mental health counseling and referral services
  • wellness classes and activities

Centra Southside Community Hospital is less than a mile from campus for emergencies. There are also clinicians in the community for chronic healthcare management. For more information visit the .

Campus Security

Safety is a high priority at Longwood. Our campus is located in a small town and University Police actively patrol the campus 24 hours a day. Our residence halls are equipped with a 24-hour card-access system and alarmed exterior doors. Students only have access to the residence hall in which they reside. All visitors wishing to enter a residence hall must be escorted by a resident. We also help students understand risks in order to help them learn to make good decisions. Programs such as self-defense classes and the Night Walkers organization reinforce the commitment to overall safety and well-being of the student body. Additional information can be found in the Safety section of the Longwood website.

Health Immunizations & Insurance

We require that your student purchase the "Budget" or "Select" insurance plan through International Student Insurance. Once students purchase their insurance policy, they must present the proof of coverage receipt to the Center for Global Engagement. However, if they are already covered by an international insurance policy, please have them contact the Office of International Affairs to determine if they need to purchase any additional insurance.

All international students must complete a Immunization Record.  This form must be submitted to the Center for Global Engagement either before they arrive, or during the International Student Orientation.

Accessing Student Information

In the US, students over the age of 18 must sign a form authorizing the release of their student records to parents/guardians.  While this protection in not required for international students we follow the same policy.  If you wish to have access to your student's grades or other information, the student must sign a form allowing you this access.  Please contact us if you want more information on this.

Other important forms that your student may need (e.g. academic records, enrollment verification, etc.) can be found in the Office of the Registrar's section of the Longwood website.

Information about University Breaks

During fall and spring breaks, all students that wish to remain on-campus must register to stay beforehand through the Housing section of the Longwood website.

During winter and summer break, all on-campus residence halls will be closed, and students must make alternative arrangements during that time. Students are responsible for making their own arrangements for these times and for making sure that they keep all their travel documents with them.