Please visit the Nursing department office for materials and applications.
BSN: Financial Resources
There are financial resources designed specifically for nursing students. In addition to the following description of sources of financial assistance, students are notified of new information via email as it arrives. Materials and applications, when available, may be obtained from the nursing department office or found on designated bulletin boards.
- The Longwood Student Nursing Chapter's Award of Excellence: The Longwood Student Nursing Chapter's Award of Excellence is awarded to an active Student Senior Nursing Chapter Member who has displayed academic and personal excellence during the time of attendance at Longwood University. Announcement of award will be posted on the nursing CANVAS page.
- Institutional Scholarship and Loan Programs: Hospitals and other institutions often offer monetary assistance to students in return for a work commitment following graduation. These are excellent offers if you know where you would like to work. Contact institutions you are interested in directly and ask about programs for nursing students. Most of these programs fund only the junior and senior years.
- Federal Loan Programs: Federal loans are available at a lower rate of interest than most private loans. If you qualify for a subsidized loan, no interest is payable while in school. Repayment can be deferred and/or a portion of the balance forgiven depending upon employment following graduation. Students seeking federal student loans must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid at www.fafsa.gov.
- CampusRN Scholarship Program: CampusRN has launched a new scholarship program in conjunction with the creation of the CampusRN state edition network. This nationwide scholarship program is the most comprehensive of its kind for nursing programs and nursing students because it features scholarship winners from six different regions across the country in which CampusRN has launched state edition sites. CampusRN will award six $2500 scholarships to a needy and deserving nursing student in each region. The deadline for applications is April 1st, students can apply for the scholarship program at: http://www.discovernursing.com/scholarships
- JustHomeMedical.com Health Care Leaders Scholarship: Just Home Medical will be awarding a $1,000 scholarship to a student going into the health care industry. To apply, make a video under 3 minutes explaining your long and short term goals as a future health care leader. Answers will be judged on thoughtfulness and creativity. http://justhomemedical.com/health-care-leaders-scholarship
Federal Scholarship Programs
- Department of Veterans Affairs Health Professional Scholarship: The Health Professional Scholarship Program Offers awards to nursing students enrolled full-time or accepted for enrollment in an NLN-accredited nursing program. Recipients must agree to be employed as full-time licensed professionals in a VA medical center for a two-year service obligation. Benefits include funds for tuition and fees, other educational expenses, and a monthly stipend. http://www.campusrn.com/scholarships/513/D/Department_of_Veterans_Affairs_Health_Professional_Scholarship.html
- The Indian Health Service: Indian health programs need dedicated health and allied health professionals to fill staffing needs - people like you who envision a career with a purpose and mission, and who are willing to commit to working in Indian communities where they can truly make a difference.
The mission of IHS is to raise the physical, mental, social and spiritual health of American Indians and Alaska Natives to the highest level. Because of the IHS Scholarship Program, many qualified health professionals are given the opportunity to pursue their careers as well as help their own communities. http://www.ihs.gov/JobsCareerDevelop/DHPS/Scholarships/
- National Student Nurses Association: The Foundation of the National Student Nurses Association (FNSNA) was created in 1969 to honor Frances Tompkins, the Association's first Executive Director. Organized exclusively for charitable and educational purposes, the Foundation awards scholarships to qualified nursing students. Contributions to the FNSNA are tax-deductible. Since 1974, the FNSNA has awarded over $2 million dollars in scholarships to undergraduate nursing students. The Foundation is organized as a 501 (C) (3) charitable foundation.
- Virginia League for Nursing: The Virginia Nurses Foundation Scholarship is awarded to selected nursing students attending a RN to BSN program. The scholarship is awarded to those students who exhibit high academic achievement, a commitment to nursing, and strong clinical and leadership abilities. Two scholarships are normally awarded. http://www.virginialeaguefornursing.com/News.html
- Johnson & Johnson: is an excellent resource to use to look for nursing scholarships and loans. http://www.discovernursing.com/scholarships
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing: Provides information regarding resources for undergraduate nursing students for scholarships and financial aid resources for nursing students http://www.aacn.nche.edu/Education/financialaid.htm#undergrad
- Virginia Department of Health - Mary Marshall Nursing Scholarship Program: Presently, the Virginia Department of Health, Office of Minority Health and Health Equity offers several scholarship opportunities to help pay for nursing education. If you apply to any of our scholarship opportunities, please bookmark this page to check the Program Status. http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/OMHHE/primarycare/incentives/nursing/rn_guidelines.htm
Longwood Nursing Scholarships
- The Pugarelli Nursing Student Scholarship: The Pugarelli Nursing Student Scholarship is to be awarded to a rising junior or senior nursing student from the Southside and Central Virginia region (preferred) with financial need. The deadline for applications is February 1. Please contact the office of Financial Aid for information at email@example.com
- The Gertrude Hudson Research Scholar for Dementia Care Award in Nursing and The Drew Hudson Family Scholarship for the Study of Geriatric Care is awarded annually to two — rising junior or senior — Nursing students (one for each scholarship), that have exhibited an interest in gerontological nursing research. The purpose of this Scholarship is to provide support to a student that is interested in gerontologic research, and plans on pursuing Gerontology Nursing post-graduation. The award will be given to the student through their tuition account. The student will work directly with Faculty in conducting research with approximately 40 hours annually dedicated to research activities. Other scholarly activities may include: attend training, conferences, poster presentations, and podium presentations with faculty to gain knowledge and experience in research. The student will have the opportunity to publish in collaboration with the faculty as well. These scholarships will be awarded every spring so that the students will be prepared to start their Gerontology research the following fall with assigned faculty. Please contact the research/scholarship committee in the nursing department for the application process. The deadline for applications is February 1.
- The Centra Southside Community Nursing Student Scholarship is to be awarded to a local student (from Prince Edward county or one of the 7 surrounding counties) attending Longwood University as a freshman, sophomore or junior nursing student with financial need. The nursing student must demonstrate a commitment to the mission of Longwood University, the Department of Nursing and Centra Southside Hospital. Please contact the nursing scholarship committee for more details on this scholarship opportunity.
- The McAnulty Scholarship for Nursing is to be awarded to a rising junior or senior Longwood nursing student with financial need. This scholarship is renewable as long as the student continues to maintain the nursing GPA requirements and benchmarks within the nursing program. If you are interested in applying for this scholarship, please contact the nursing scholarship committee for more details on this opportunity at firstname.lastname@example.org