File a Complaint

Incident Reporting

Check the Student Handbook for the correct alleged violation(s). 

Incident Reporting Form - Honor / Code of Conduct 

Use this form to file Honor Code and/or Code of Conduct charges(s). If the incident involves multiple students, you only need to submit one form. The student’s legal name (no nicknames) and L number is required. It is extremely important that you include complete and detailed information to avoid delays in processing. All attachments must be in PDF format.

This form may not be used for sexual misconduct violations. Contact the Title IX office or LUPD for emergencies at 911 or (434)395-2091.


Anonymous Reporting Form - Student Conduct​

Anonymous Reports

Use this form for anonymous reports to Student Conduct & Integrity. Longwood University's response to anonymous reports may be limited.

This form may not be used for emergencies, contact the LUPD at 911 or (434)395-2091.

Bias/Non-Discrimination, Hazing, and Title IX (Sexual Misconduct)

Say Something

Use to make a report of their concerns related to Bias/Non-Discrimination, Hazing, and Title IX (Sexual Misconduct). Please fill out the form to the best of your abilities.

BEFORE YOU BEGIN: If this is an emergency that involves imminent risk of harm to self or others, contact the Longwood University Police Department at (434) 395-2091.

Referrals from this form are reviewed during normal business hours and are not monitored after hours, on weekends, or during official University holidays.

"Respondent" or "Complainant"

The "Respondent" is the student who has been charged with an alleged violation of the Honor Code of Conduct or Code of Conduct.

The "Complainant" is the person who has filed a complaint charging a student with an alleged violation of the Codes.  The Complainant may be a faculty member, staff member or student, and does not necessarily have to be directly involved in an incident.

Off Campus Violations

Local Ordinances, State Laws, & Federal laws

"Citizen Leadership" doesn't stop at the border of campus: it means being a good citizen and community member both on campus and in the local community.

Poor judgment/behavior off-campus by even one person reflects on all of us who work and study here at Longwood.

Longwood University and the Farmville/Prince Edward community have a long standing cooperative agreement to work together when there are conduct situations involving students off campus.

Students who are alleged to have violated local ordinances, State, and Federal laws by local Police and/or Sheriffs may have the alleged violation referred to Longwood's disciplinary system as well as the local court.

More information about this agreement is in the Student Handbook.

Examples of Longwood conduct standards applicable off-campus include:

  • Illegal Possession/Use of Weapons or Explosives
  • Possession/Distribution of Drugs
  • Possession of Drug Paraphernalia
  • Sexual Misconduct        
  • Hazing 
  • Noise
  • Alcohol and/or Drugs (State Laws and/or Longwood Policies)
  • Violence to Persons or Attempted Violence/Abuse to Persons
  • Property (Damaging, Vandalizing, or Tampering)
  • Obscene or Indecent Behavior
  • Physical Well-Being
  • Littering
  • Student Rights and Privileges (interfering with another student's rights as outlined in the Handbook)
  • Stealing
  • Lying
  • Possessing/Using a False Identification

Hearing or Administrative Meeting

If a complaint has been filed against you; by another student, a staff member, faculty member, or member of the community you will be invited to attend a Hearing or an Administrative Meeting to resolve the complaint. 

In order for the complaint to be resolved, you should attend the hearing.  It will not be held against you if you do not go, but it is to your advantage to attend, participate and utilize your opportunity to be heard.

Your Rights

A Formal Hearing and/or an Administrative Meeting is not a Court of Law.  The systems are run differently, and you do not have the same procedural rights you might have in a court situation.  Nevertheless, you are guaranteed to have notice of the allegations and the right to testify.

Your basic rights are:

  • A presumption of innocence unless found responsible
  • Written notice of charges lodged against you
  • An opportunity to review disciplinary procedures with the Director of Student Conduct and Integrity prior to the hearing
  • The opportunity to examine any evidence
  • The opportunity to attend a hearing
  • The opportunity to appeal the results of the hearing if they are not in your favor

You have other procedural rights that can be found in the Student Handbook

Formal Hearing vs Court Trial

Unlike the court system, the University is not required to hold to the standard of "Beyond a Reasonable Doubt".

The courts have realized that this standard is impractical for student formal Hearing vs Court Trial disciplinary hearings, and believe that the question of a student's responsibility for violating behavioral regulations may be set to a lower standard.

Longwood University uses the standard of ”A Preponderance of the Evidence".

Hearings are closed. By law, no spectators, character witnesses, or other unnecessary people are allowed access to the proceedings.

Formal Hearings are not required to follow Federal Rules of Evidence, nor follow courtroom procedure.

Universities may restrict the participation of legal counsel in hearings. 

Longwood Students are allowed to bring a lawyer to a Hearing. In this instance, however, the role of counsel is restricted to consultation only.

Specific Hearing Procedures can be found in the Student Handbook.

Prepare for Hearing or Administrative Meeting

To start with, read the Student Handbook.

Make an appointment with Student Conduct and Integrity staff to review your case and ask questions. 

Think about the situation and what happened--write down your thoughts.

If you have witnesses, make sure you let them know when and where the hearing is.  If you are the Respondent; decide how you want to plead in the Hearing.

What will happen during the Hearing?

Learn more from the Disciplinary Process page.

Parents/guardians Contact and Communication

If you have been found responsible for an alcohol or drug violation, your parents/guardians will be notified of the violation. 

Your parents/guardians normally will not receive information on any other type of violation, although it is a very good idea for you to tell them, and talk about what happened. 

In most situations, you must sign a release form for your parents/guardians to allow them access to your disciplinary records. 

More information is in the Student Handbook.

An appeal is not a rehearing of your case.

Respondents can appeal the results of a hearing for only three reasons:

  • Due process rights as defined in the Longwood University Student Handbook were violated
  • New evidence that was not available at the time of the hearing has become available
  • Sanction(s) received are excessive or disproportionate to the violation

You have five (5) business days from the date of your decision letter from Student Conduct and Integrity to file an appeal. 

Your appeal must meet at least one of the three criteria to be considered. 

The appeal board or officer will make a decision on the information you present in your appeal. You may be called for a meeting, but no other witnesses or testimony will be heard.

Appeal forms are included in the email you receive with your decision letter, and more information about appeals is in the Student Handbook.

Check the Student Handbook, visit (Eason G-08A) or call the Office of Student Conduct and Integrity at (434)395-2940.