How is College Different from High School for Students with Disabilities?

You Must Ask And You Must Tell

We will not seek you out (!) but we ask you to identify yourself to us. Please review this web site or contact our office for information on registration procedures as well as services and accommodations that may be available to you.

You Make The Decisions Without Your Parents/Guardians

Provision of services and academic accommodations are a collaborative activity between the student and the University. While your parent may have an active advising role behind the scenes, your parent will not be called or consulted by the Accessibility Resources Office. You must self advocate.

You Must Provide Documentation Of Your Disability

Longwood requires that you provide acceptable documentation of your disability before accommodations and services can be approved. Documentation will be accepted if it is current (usually within three years), comprehensive, and conducted by an appropriate professional practitioner. (See Documentation Guidelines for details on your specific disability).

You Will Not Have A Special Teacher Or Tutor

Longwood provides necessary and reasonable accommodations for a disability. You will not have someone that you will see regularly who will make sure that you have finished your homework or have attended class. You are welcome however to make appointments as needed to discuss your access and learning needs.

Your Instructor May Or May Not Call

Although an instructor may call the Accessibility Resources Office, the office will neither routinely call your instructors to check on your progress nor call to check on the implementation of a requested academic accommodation. We do not monitor your academic performance. Your success is your responsibility, but we are here for support if you are experiencing difficulties or have concerns about your accommodations.

You Must Learn On Your Own More Than Ever Before

You will be spending far less time with instructors and in the classroom but much more will be required of you outside the classroom. During your first semester, you should spend an average of fifteen hours a week in class but no less than thirty hours a week reading and studying on your own. Because you now have much more unstructured time, you will need to manage it wisely in order to succeed at Longwood.

If your disability impacts your reading, writing, math, time management, or organization skills, the Accessibility Resources Office can discuss reasonable accommodations with you and help you get connected with other campus supports.

Frequently Asked Questions for Students with Disabilities

  • Will I receive the same accommodations that I received in high school?
    Not necessarily. Requested accommodations must be consistent with the University's academic goals and standards. Accommodations are approved on a case-by-case basis based on individual student s disability documentation and learning history. Students should not assume that accommodations provided in high school will be provided in college.
  • What types of classroom accommodations are provided at Longwood?
    Typical accommodations may include such things as extended time on tests, distraction-reduced testing location, note takers, scribes, alternate format, large print materials, etc. Your specific accommodations will be based on your disability documentation and an interview with the Director of Accessibility Resources.
  • Are housing accommodations available?
    Yes, based on individual need, housing accommodations are available. Visit Housing. Housing accommodations are subject to availability and if requests are submitted after posted deadlines, we may not be able meet your accommodation request.
  • Are 504 Plans and IEPs accepted for use in documentation of a disability at the college level?
    504 Plans and IEPs are useful in understanding prior academic experiences of the student, but they are not in themselves sufficient documentation. A professional evaluation, including all test and subtest scores must be provided. Documentation must be current (usually within three years), comprehensive, and administered by a qualified professional. See our web site for guidelines pertaining to specific disabilities.
  • Where do I send my documentation?
    Upon matriculation, please mail or fax your documentation directly to the Accessibility Resources Office. All documentation is kept strictly confidential and not released without the student's written consent.
  • I have a disability but no current documentation. What should I do?
    Staff in the Accessibility Resources Office can meet with students to discuss access needs and provide referrals to a local practitioner if necessary.
  • What if I have a disability, but I don't think I'm going to need accommodations or services? Do I still need to register with Accessibility Resources?
    We recommend you submit your documentation and meet with the Director anyway so that a confidential file with your approved accommodations is ready to go in case you find you need accommodations after all.
  • I think I have a disability that interferes with my academic performance but I have never been tested. What do I do?
    The Director of Accessibility Resources can meet with you to discuss the barriers you are experiencing, and provide referrals to a local practitioner for testing if necessary.